Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Salvia

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSalviaEngland
Omnipresence

Loc: Alternate Dimensions
Salvia Divinorum - Bugs attack
    #783097 - 07/29/02 01:26 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

After some success growing I have run into some problems .

Because all my plants were growing so well in their humidity tent, I started to check on them less often. After some time I noticed some of the leafs looked damaged, there were areas which had small holes and other areas which seemed to have lost some of the green pigment. Some of the leafs looked like all their insides had been removed, these leafs then started to turn back and eventually fell off.

After some close examination I noticed some small black bugs running up and down the stems and many more sitting still under the leafs. Furthermore when these bugs were disturbed they jumped out of site. After some further investigation and a little research I decided they must by flea beetles.

I decided to create my own insecticide from organic sources, so based on some recommendations found on this board and others, I used a mix of Chilli peppers, black peppers, garlic and soap. The finely chopped chilli peppers, garlic and black peppers were socked in water for 24 hours. The mix was then filtered through some cotton. Soap was then added. The insecticide was sprayed over the plants and had an instant effect with most of the bugs jumping off the plant onto the floor before dropping dead.

After several days some bugs returned so the plants were treated again. After the second treatment, I noticed that many of the plants were beginning to look even more unhealthy. The leaves were becoming blacker and rotting away. I also noticed that some of the pots have cobweb type mould across the surface. I came to the conclusion that my insecticide in such humid conditions was causing the mould and rotting the leafs. So I washed the plants down with tap water, and after several weeks the mould and rotting leafs seemed back under control. The bugs however, slowly began to increase in number once again. This time I treated with an organic insecticide (for vegetables and fruit crops) from the local department store, which contained natural fatty acids. This also was effective against the visible bugs, but once again after several days they would begin to return and they would have to be treated once again. I have noticed smaller white bugs I believe as their babies living in the gap between the stem and braches and also coming out from the centre of the stem were cuttings have been made.

Some of my plants have developed rotting stems; these were thrown out and replaced by new cuttings. With weekly treatment, I have the problem under control and I don?t have much problem with leafs blackening anymore apart from the tips of the leafs.

It would seem that these bugs only survive in humid conditions, as they have not been found on any plants out side the humidity tent. Therefore, one method of treatment would be taking them out of the humid environment, however they have been spoilt for humidity and are very sensitive to less humid conditions. I am attempting to open the humidity tent as much as possible before the plants start to wilt to reduce humidity

Although I have had all these problems, through taking lots of cuttings, I still have plenty of healthy plants . I am currently winning the battle, but I would rather not be fighting it!

Here are 10 of my 30 plants.

Any further suggestions in dealing with the problem would be much appreciated.

--------------------

Cactus

Edited by SalviaEngland (07/29/02 01:59 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineRemiMartin
Loc: UK
Re: Salvia Divinorum - Bugs attack [Re: SalviaEngland]
    #783114 - 07/29/02 01:52 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I had the same sort of thing on 3 of the lower leaves on my large plant. One of the leaves just fell off, and when I noticed the other 2 I took them off straight away, they almost fell into my hand, showing that they were dieing anyway. I didn't see any bugs, and haven't had any problems since, but I don't keep mine in a humidity tent, so perhaps if there were bugs they had no chance anyway.

Invisiblepsyconaut
NASA trainedpsychonaut
Loc: The Great White North
    #783115 - 07/29/02 01:53 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Did you consider using soap?

-psyco

--------------------
It may look like a button mushroom right now, but wait until you see how it grows!

OfflineSalviaEngland
Omnipresence

Re: Salvia Divinorum - Bugs attack [Re: psyconaut]
    #783122 - 07/29/02 02:04 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I used soap in my homemade insecticide, but did not try it along. The organic Insecticide containing fatty acids and has the consistency of soapy water so I presume it has a similar affect, of suffocating the adult bugs.

--------------------

Cactus

Edited by SalviaEngland (07/29/02 02:09 AM)

Invisiblepsyconaut
NASA trainedpsychonaut
Loc: The Great White North
    #783133 - 07/29/02 02:45 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Get yourself some ladybird beetles or a praying mantis for future use Actually, you probably don't want ladybirds indoors.....so maybe just order some praying mantis eggs.

-psyco

--------------------
It may look like a button mushroom right now, but wait until you see how it grows!

OfflineRemiMartin
Loc: UK
Re: Salvia Divinorum - Bugs attack [Re: psyconaut]
    #783163 - 07/29/02 03:51 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Don't you just hate it when ladybirds shit on you.

Invisiblefjbk47985
Has Been AbsentFor Far Too Long
Re: Salvia Divinorum - Bugs attack [Re: RemiMartin]
    #784661 - 07/29/02 06:31 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

newbie solution: put it in a less humid area and spray the floor and area around if possible...i dunno u might have evil things hidden out of sight

godspeed with ur endeavors.

OfflineCaliChronic
Loc: Gulf Coast, USA
    #789984 - 08/01/02 08:26 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

yes as psyconaut said, maybe look for predator insects to control those bugs, and be sure to isolate those plants with bugs/mold on them from the others to avoid spreading the problem.

--------------------
overgrow

OfflineSalviaEngland
Omnipresence

Re: Salvia Divinorum - Bugs attack [Re: CaliChronic]
    #790126 - 08/01/02 09:35 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for the advice everyone...

I think its to late to isolate them, those bugs can jump long distances.

--------------------

Cactus

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Salvia

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden