Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
Casings & wetting agents
    #763526 - 07/20/02 10:00 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Has anybody tried using a nontoxic surficant (wetting agent) in combination with coir & peat moss as casing? Scotts lawn & garden products under the brand name MiricleGrow has a potting soil product called AquaCoir. Sadly, it contains fertilizers & nutients. But, the forumulation of coir, peat moss & a wetting agent is said to hold 33% more water & release it very very slowly. Sounds interesting.

SixTango ( always wondering about something)

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDinoMyc
Ipsa scientiapotestas est
Re: Casings & wetting agents [Re: SixTango]
    #763566 - 07/20/02 10:34 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I think you mean surfactant..
The major water holding properties come from the coir itself, as it has superior water retention capabilities.
I use the aquacoir soil, and I am satisfied with its performance as a plant soil for tropicals..
the wetting agent is only helpful from the dry state, when the cohesive nature of water prevents the coir from absorbing it.. if you mist before watering you plants, or just water before the soil is dry, its pirfect... no need for wetting..
enjoy your day

--------------------
If I made affront, I apologize.
If I made affirmation, I apologize.
I merely came to listen, came to say.

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Re: Casings & wetting agents [Re: DinoMyc]
    #764135 - 07/21/02 08:17 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Dino,

Yup, that's what the Racoon meant --> SURFICANT. But, still confused. Will the AquaCoir product work as a casing material?

SixTango

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

OfflineDinoMyc
    #764254 - 07/21/02 09:31 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Yes, it should work fine.
There is little difference, though, between aquacoir and a coir/peat mix you would make yourself for less money..
Also be careful if it has added fertilizers, I do not remember if aquacoir had any..

--------------------

Edited by DinoMyc (07/22/02 05:00 AM)

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

#764325 - 07/21/02 10:09 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Dino,

Yes -- AquaCoir does have some time release fertilizer mix in. So, that's a no/go.

The Raccoons time is an issue. Some peaple pay high dollar for the Coon's time. So, the time left for hobby culivation is limited. Yup, just Coir/Peat & adjusting the PH works fine & is less costly if home made. The Raccoon was just looking for a "perfect" ready/made store bought casing material, to save time, not $$$.

Thanx for the advice. SixTango

--------------------

OfflineDinoMyc
    #764698 - 07/21/02 01:22 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I dig, I dig
What about mixing up some coir/peat/etc in bulk and storing that? would that save enough time? rehydrate it when ready to use..

--------------------

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

#765403 - 07/21/02 05:17 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Dino,

Sounds like the plan..................

SixTango

--------------------

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Loc: mycotopia.net
    #766380 - 07/22/02 02:42 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

In reply to:

I think you mean surfactant..

lol
kinda funny to see you correct him
when you turn around and say
In reply to:

added fertalizers

it's fertilizer.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Edited by Hippie3 (07/22/02 02:45 AM)

InvisibleDreaMaTrix
Shaman I am

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Falling into place
Re: Casings & wetting agents [Re: Hippie3]
    #766391 - 07/22/02 02:49 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

In reply to:

it's fertilizer.

Funny, I thought it was fertiliser

Good luck

--------------------

"We are the one's we have been waiting for" - Hopi saying

OfflineDinoMyc
Re: Casings & wetting agents [Re: Hippie3]
    #766537 - 07/22/02 04:58 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

There is no such thing as a ?surficant?, its a common mistake, and in this case not a typo.
There is such thing as a surfactant, it's an agent which reduces or eliminates surface tension. Surfactant is also known as a surface active agent.
:P
Yes, I misspelled fertilizer. I never claimed to be perfect.

--------------------

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

#766785 - 07/22/02 07:08 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

LOL, So long as the message gets across. No big deal. Lets talk cultivation, not squander valuable time with correcting each others spelling & what not.

Diatomite (A minute micron size natural (inert silica product used as a filtration material for vegatable oils, beer, wine & other things that can be found at swimming pool supply places in 25 pound bags for around $20 bucks) is an excellent product to retain & release moisture.

It can't hurt anything, has little bulk, mix's right in any substrate, holds it weight in water & releases it very slowly.

Do a web seach about Diatoms and/or Diatomite to learn more.

SixTango

--------------------

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

#769491 - 07/23/02 03:47 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

They could be using other things these days, but most 'wetting agents' I've seen used in commercial potting mixes is actually polyacrylamide; The individual acrylamide monomers which make up polyacrylamide are extremely toxic/carcinogenic.

I've wondered whether fungi tend to break up the polyacrylamide [as they tend to do].

It's not likely they've done the research on anything other than plants

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Re: Casings & wetting agents [Re: Suntzu]
    #769593 - 07/23/02 04:44 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Yup, your right. Searching reveals its a nasty chemical.

Right now the Coon is using a 33% peat, 33% Coir & 33% verm, pasturizing, then adjusting the PH with Calcuim Carbonate (chalk - limestone powder) to a 6.8 to 7.2 range. Then without any real measuring, mixing in water saturated sterilized Diatomite to the degree of adding about 5 or 6 % Diatomite to the total casing mixture by weight, not volume.

Them little water logged diatoms act as microm size reservoirs that benifit all aspects of the casing, cuts down on misting & appears to increase yeilds to the degree the addition of Diatomite is well -- worthwhile .

SixTango

--------------------

OfflineDinoMyc
    #770550 - 07/23/02 12:05 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Where did you get your diatomite?
I have some diatomaceous earth I use for filtering particles out of water, but I have never heard of it being used as a water reservoir.
A quick search found it used primarily as a filter, but there was one paper on its ability to hold water..
How does it compare to the usual 'water crystals'?

--------------------

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

#771342 - 07/23/02 05:42 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

In the Pacific NW - USA .........Apollo Pool Supply has it in big bags. It works great. Better than any other inorganic -- inert substance I have found. SixTango

--------------------

Offlinegamemaster
Director of Fate
Loc: somewhere near you
    #778648 - 07/26/02 02:21 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

just wondering why the fertilizer in the aquacoir would be so detrimental to the health of the mycelium and fruit of the booms. Fertilizer is used on the fruit and plants that we eat that are not organic as well. these plants absorb the same chemicals as the booms would potentially. so how would could they be so harmful as a casing? It would be different if the spawn and substrate was emersed and covered in it. Any comments?? I have used it: it works extremely well as casing providing beautiful pins. no adverse effects when consumed.

--------------------
doors of perception...look for your cleansing

Anonymous

Re: Casings & wetting agents *DELETED* [Re: gamemaster]
    #779604 - 07/27/02 05:11 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Post deleted by 905

Offlinedelysid_1
journeyman
Re: Casings & wetting agents [Re: ]
    #779815 - 07/27/02 08:02 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Aqua coir works very very well. It does not matter that there is time released fertilizer in it. I would like to see any objective evidense that miracle grow is sequestered in the mushroom. Talk is cheap lets see some references. I have used aqua coir many times and it is the best casing material I have tried as of yet. You guys eat fruit and vegetables from the grocery store that have been literally sprayed and covered in toxic pestacides, but you think that it is bad to grow mushrooms on a substrate that has small amounts of fertilizer mixd in? Come on seriously.

--------------------
"Catholic church molestation scandel- the lord works in mysterius ways indeed........"

-delysid_1

Anonymous

Re: Casings & wetting agents *DELETED* [Re: delysid_1]
    #779839 - 07/27/02 08:15 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Post deleted by 905

Offlinegamemaster
Director of Fate
Loc: somewhere near you
Re: Casings & wetting agents [Re: ]
    #780803 - 07/27/02 05:50 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

agreed with dude on aquacoir! like i said in prior post...the shit is perfect. i add a little lime to make sure its at right ph and bada bing, bada shroom! ya have perfect casing. the mycelium races through it and makes lovely children for all to enjoy....buy buy buy aquacoir for your easy already mixed casing mix!!!!

peace

--------------------
doors of perception...look for your cleansing

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix