Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineThePaleMonarch
WorshipfullMaster
Male

Cannabis and Speaking?
    #7560696 - 10/25/07 08:47 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Hey Guys

Ill make this as quick as possible; Ive smoked weed HEAVILY for seven years solid , averaging maybe a halfounce of hash every 3 days.
After getting asthma from doing so, and feeling a serious shift in my mental health, i thought enough was enough , id been abusing what i should have used as a tool , for far too long. I stopped smoking cannabis about 6 months ago now, and my asthma has dramatically cleared up, im practising yoga , jogging and going to the gym etc.

Although i feel much better physically and mentally i still have one thing that bugs me; Im an intelligent person and have always been able to articulate myself and communicate well, but since my dip (and recovery) in mental health , i find i am unable to project my voice aswell, and its like communicating is a real effort at times , which totally isnt me. Its not a physical affliction asin the vocal cords or pain or anything, its just asif my voice has thinned out and is whispy and i slur more than my usual crisp tone. Im worried im being overharsh on myself or paranoid, so i just wanted to know if anyone has experienced this or if anyone has any reccomendations.

Thanks a lot guys,
rock on!

--------------------
[url] www.myspace.com/paradoxprofile [/url]

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Re: Cannabis and Speaking? [Re: ThePaleMonarch]
    #7560760 - 10/25/07 09:00 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

It will take time for you to retrain yourself to speak with confidence. I noticed when I was using pot HEAVILY that I lost almost all of my confidence to speak out about what I truly felt and thought. It just left me. I took a Speech and Public Speaking class in college though, so I feel like that is helping me in the aftermath of my excessive MJ use.

Even an acting class might help you loosen up your gears and get communicating again.

Offline2end4
Fuckin Immortal
Male User Gallery

Loc: Aristonda
Re: Cannabis and Speaking? [Re: MOTH]
    #7560889 - 10/25/07 09:35 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Drink a Beer........no Im kidding but not. I know how you feel. But I think the only true answer is BALANCE. ALL three or more ways. Just like how its good to fast, but not stop eating cold turkey for a couple of days so the body and mind can handle it better. If a lot of your better communicating/speech skills were devoloped while you were smoking weed, you are going to need the same or something similar to reconnect the dots in your brain. Or I dont know you might even have O.C.D. Or could be Autistic. If you are into the human aura, your throat chakra needs work. No bullshit folks. I guess I'm just trying to be balanced. Hope there weren't too many contradictions with my reply.
~PEACE
GO RED SOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
Praise Bob!

OfflineDimensionX
King of Birds
Male

Loc: Australia Flag
Re: Cannabis and Speaking? [Re: 2end4]
    #7568279 - 10/27/07 11:01 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

It really internalizes your awareness. It makes speaking to the outside world alot harder because your not really thinking about the outside world, your following your own thoughts. Its ok though, after awhile you will come out of yourself again, could take awhile because you were smoking alot of pot. What your doing is perfect, the exercise and yoga will help you to become more external again.

OfflineLimerick
a moment ofclarity
Male

Loc: the bark and below it
Re: Cannabis and Speaking? [Re: DimensionX]
    #7569012 - 10/28/07 07:37 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

i've been in the situation where i'm hoping no body will call on me to speak because i'm not sure if i can. Cannabis has the power to make you shut the fuck up.

OfflineLion
Decadent Flower Magnate
Male User Gallery

Re: Cannabis and Speaking? [Re: Limerick]
    #7569109 - 10/28/07 08:21 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

MOTH's post has some excellent advice: a public speaking class, a speech class, or an acting class would be very beneficial. I get very self conscious when giving presentations in classes and things like that, and tend to speak to fast and low. Also sometimes I just slip into weird speech patterns if I feel at all uncomfortable. But it gets easier with practice.

You might also try some tongue exercises. If you smoke heavily it weakens your tongue a lot over time. Strengthening your tongue and making it more flexible can help your confidence in speaking a lot. You know on Family Guy when Quagmire says "Giggity giggity". That's actually a great tongue exercise if you just keep repeating it as fast as you can and focus on where your tongue lands in your mouth for each consonant.

--------------------
“Strengthened by contemplation and study,
I will not fear my passions like a coward.
My body I will give to pleasures,
to diversions that I’ve dreamed of,
to the most daring erotic desires,
to the lustful impulses of my blood, without
any fear at all, for whenever I will—
and I will have the will, strengthened
as I’ll be with contemplation and study—
at the crucial moments I’ll recover
my spirit as was before: ascetic.”

Offlinee3k
Stranger

#7602036 - 11/06/07 10:50 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

learn to play didgeridoo and play it every day :wink:

InvisibleMike_yy
Male User Gallery

#7605610 - 11/07/07 04:10 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

I mumble a lot.
I don't even know i'm doing it most of the time, all my friends and family are used to it so i only notice if i'm meeting new people.

It's not a low confidence thing anymore though it may have been in the past.

I know it took a long time living life with too many negative thoughts to get me to the point where my confidence was lost.
If you get paranoid when you're stoned the paranoia (along with other negatives) can eventually creep into your day to day living becoming part of how you think, whether you're stoned or not.
I carried on smoking through it but due to hard times and general life stuff i was forced to think differently (thank god, :lol:), so none of it's really a problem for me anymore.

If it takes years for the brain to become re-wired a certain way, then it'll probably take a long time to straighten it out the way you want it to be.
Just keep on a positive path and it'll get there slowly.

There's some good advice to follow in this thread,, :smile:

:shineon:

OfflineLimerick
a moment ofclarity
Male

Loc: the bark and below it
Re: Cannabis and Speaking? [Re: Mike_yy]
    #7607969 - 11/07/07 05:19 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

when in doubt, mumble. :smile:

i mumble a lot. i think its cool when people think its funny.

OfflineGrok
Has Been a Bad Boy
 User Gallery

Loc: Greener Pastures Flag
Re: Cannabis and Speaking? [Re: e3k]
    #7611779 - 11/08/07 03:50 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

e3k said:
learn to play didgeridoo and play it every day :wink:

This is actually fantastic advice. I'd elaborate more, but all I can say is DO IT!

--------------------
Entropy is increasing.
To send me a PM, go to my journal

Invisiblesleepy
zZzZzZzZz
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Cannabis and Speaking? [Re: Grok]
    #7611904 - 11/08/07 04:20 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Many yogis practice a day of silence/week, but you say its just the sound of your voice? maybe this could be because you stopped smoking which was like a crutch for you, it made you comfortable and easy but you just haven't gotten used to being yourself not high. try recording yourself having a conversation with a close friend and listen afterwards, it could be your imagination.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals