Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Loc: Playa del Carmen
Need an ID.
    #758067 - 07/19/02 03:13 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

A friend of a friend of a friend claims that she wants to eat this shroom. I think it?s a very bad idea because it looks like no psychoactive mushroom that I have ever seen. Anyone know what this is?

--------------------
"I tried to put it all behind me, but my redneck past is nipping at my heels.." -- Ben Folds Five

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: Need an ID. [Re: mickey_rourke]
    #758069 - 07/19/02 03:17 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

NO!
do not eat this mushroom. it is not active.

peace

Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Re: Need an ID. [Re: ]
    #758081 - 07/19/02 03:25 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I think it might be from the Lepiota sp. Any ideas?

--------------------
"I tried to put it all behind me, but my redneck past is nipping at my heels.." -- Ben Folds Five

InvisibleDaxMiddler
journeyman
Loc: Cambodia
    #758086 - 07/19/02 03:32 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Looks damn scary... maybe you should cut the stem off and play frisbee with it instead??

--------------------
Dax

What I write is a lie. I read it somwhere else.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #758104 - 07/19/02 03:47 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Without seeing the underside of the cap (the gills and annulus), one can't be certain. But a poster above is correct in that it appears to ba a Lepiota. You need to take a spore print (cut off the cap and set it, gill side down on a piece of paper for a few hours). If the print is white, it is a Lepiota, a genus with some truly choice edibles and a few lethally poisonous species. If the print is greenish-gray, it is Chlorophyllum molybdites, a notorious poisonous mushroom responsible for more poisonings than any other species in North America. In either event there is no psilocybin or any of its relatives. When you cut the cap off the stem, also slice the stem in half vertically and bruise it with your knife blade and note the color changes. These are also important for some species of Lepiota for classification.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinecen_tex_looker
Dismember

#758119 - 07/19/02 03:58 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

LOOKS LIKE A MOTHER SHIP OF SOME STRANGE SHROOM ALIEN LIFE FORM

--------------------
"If at first you don't succeed....break it all up in a fit of rage and throw it in the trash"

Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Re: Need an ID. [Re: ToxicMan]
    #758130 - 07/19/02 04:03 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Ok, cap is printing as I type. Here are two more images to aid in identification. Apparently, the stem is bruising red.

--------------------

OfflineVulture
Pursuer ofWisdom
 User Gallery

Loc: SC
    #758387 - 07/19/02 06:22 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

i found a patch of shrooms that looked exactly like that! Cept i when i found them they werent so big...there was one large on but the other havent opned up yet. It looked like one of those "shaggy mane" or some shit they called it. Supposedly a nice edible but i wouldent try it. Take it to a college or soemthing around and ask the Mycologist there and he will tell you exacly what it is.

--------------------
Work like you dont need the money.

Love like you never been hurt.

Dance like nobody is watching.

Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Re: Need an ID. [Re: Vulture]
    #758434 - 07/19/02 06:40 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Just took a look at the spore print, and based on its color, I think it is now positively identified. I have no doubt in my mind that it is Chlorophyllum molybdites (the fairy ring mushroom) and should not be eaten under any circumstance.

It sure was a nice specimen, though.

--------------------

Anonymous

#758448 - 07/19/02 06:43 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

Anonymous

#758456 - 07/19/02 06:45 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Okanagan
    #758458 - 07/19/02 06:46 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

fairy ring my ass:)

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #758465 - 07/19/02 06:48 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

You got it exactly! You can probably see why this particular poisonous mushroom gets eaten so much. They are common, large, meaty, and they even smell good. Reports are that they even taste good. You would become very sick if you ate it, though. There is also a similar, very choice edible mushroom that looks almost exactly like it, Lepiota rachodes. Glad to see somebody not just eating what they found and wondering if it was OK afterwards.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
    #758470 - 07/19/02 06:48 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I'm glad that I confiscated it for ID before I let her have it. I knew it couldn't be a "good" shroom from the start, but if it were edible, I would have let her eat it.

Thanks to the group, disaster was averted, and I now know more about identification techniques.

--------------------

Offlinebluemoon
journeyman

Loc: VA
Re: Need an ID. [Re: Vulture]
    #758523 - 07/19/02 07:03 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

DO NOT EAT THIS SHROOM. Thumbing through my Nat.Audubon Soc. Field Guide to North American Mushrooms, the deadly lepiota (Lepiota josserandii), and the green-spored Lepiota (chlorophyllum molybdites) show VERY similar characteristics to that mushroom. There are a few other less poisonous ones that are just as similar to boot. It may be a parasol, but why eat it? Parasols are not active in any way. If it happened to be one of the two I mentioned, the person consuming it will either die, come close to dying while ruining vital organs, or get extremely sick. Those are my two cents. Hope this helps somehow! Have a good one...

Bluemoon

--------------------
Turn Off FOX.  Bad News for America.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #759206 - 07/19/02 11:57 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Just FYI, even if it had turned out to be one of the edible Lepiotas, they, as almost all edible mushrooms, should never be eaten raw. Most edible mushrooms contain toxins which are destroyed by the heating when cooked. Some of the better known examples are edible Amanitas, Morchella species (morels), and Armillaria (honey mushrooms).

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Anonymous

#759521 - 07/19/02 03:09 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #760728 - 07/20/02 12:57 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah, but what did McIlvane *not* eat? I don't know how much I trust the words of a guy who would apparently eat almost anything fungal that he didn't already know was toxic. The recommendation of Dr. Denis Benjamin (the current chair of the NAMA Toxicology Committee) is that NO mushroom should ever be eaten raw. He is a medical doctor (pathologist) who has devoted considerable study to mushroom poisoning and who sees hundreds of reports from emergency rooms and doctors all over. The exact quote from his book is, "ALL mushrooms should be WELL COOKED. Do not eat raw mushrooms!" (words in all caps are as he did). I realize that he is a bit extreme in this (I've eaten some raw mushrooms myself), but he makes the recommendation based on what is seen in medical emergencies. If cooking would reduce or eliminate that risk, why not do it (and recommend it to others)?

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineSporz
journeyman
    #761218 - 07/20/02 06:17 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Chlorophyllum molybdites. I am positive.

Anonymous

#761285 - 07/20/02 06:38 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies