Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinewallace
Male

Loc: Canada
id please
    #3056977 - 08/27/04 07:14 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I found the two outside mushrooms in grass compost, in a not particularly shaded area. I cut off the base because I discovered it was full of worms once I had brought it home. Little brown bastards. I assumed the middle mushroom was the immature fruiting body, which it isn't (I am not real experienced here, which you might be picking up) and I don't know what the hell it is.
The outer two mushrooms. No volva. Has an annulus. Cap on large mushroom about 6 cm in diameter. Smooth white stalk (fibrous on the inside)which was darkening as it dried. No spores evident after about 3 hours or so, which could mean they are white, or have not fallen yet. I am inclined to think that this mushroom is Chlorophyllum molybdites, which according to my guide means that it might be poisonous, and might not!

I would be happy to hear your opinions.
Wallace

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleBolwarra
Stranger

Loc: Australia
Re: id please [Re: wallace]
    #3057067 - 08/27/04 08:37 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

It certainly resembles a Lepiota spp or as you mentioned, possibly Chlorophyllum molybdites, wait for that spore print as you are already doing, if it's green then you'd likly be spot on.

Also yes C. molybdites is toxic.

EDIT: the first time i came across C. molybdites, i gave the gills a wash down with water and they turned from off-white to pinkish almost instantly, i could be wrong about this, but i think this could be another indicator for this species? - but certainly not the sole indicator. anyone?

Edited by Bolwarra (08/27/04 10:32 AM)

Offlinedjred

djred [Re: wallace]
    #3057220 - 08/27/04 10:31 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

wa sup guys..new to this..found some has to be liberty caps growing in sout stlouis are,in my ex wifes front yard they were stringy bell shape with a very nipple looking cap.kinda cream  color i wanna say.i haven't seen any other mushrooms related to the size and shape of liberty's wondering if i should have picked more then 1..i pinch the stem and nothing happen as far as turnning blue..going back today or tomorrow to see if i can find some more..they were growing in groups of maybe 5 or 6 not alot but if they are liberty's maybe i should collect for the purpose of spore print..? :crazy2:

Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: djred [Re: djred]
    #3057460 - 08/27/04 11:54 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

if you have something you want ID'd you should make a new thread for it, not hijack someone elses. Take a look at the sticky thread for directions on describing your find: http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...;o=&fpart=1

whatever mushrooms you found are not liberty caps, the season and part of the country are wrong.

To the original poster, you are correct, those are either C. molybdites or some species of Lepiota, spore color will differentiate the two.

DH

OfflineGSAfarmer
Mycotopian
Loc: Mycotopia
    #3058194 - 08/27/04 02:54 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

In the picture that you have shown us looks to have two different mushrooms. The two larger mushroom looks like Lepiota. If you take a spore print and it is white to a very light cream then it is most likely Lepiota. Two species come to mind when looking at the picture is Rachodes(first pick) or Procera but i can not be sure without more info.
Now for the little mushroom in the middle i looks like a immature Agaricus or Lycoperdon(puffball family). You should cut the small one in half legnthwise to see what color the gills are and if there is sponge-like pores then it probably is lycoperdon or close relative. I hope this info helps. Goodluck

GSAfarmer................peace

--------------------

GSAfarmer Joshua

"Don't live someone elses dream."..........GSAfarmer

Offlinewallace
Male

Loc: Canada
Re: id please [Re: GSAfarmer]
    #3059855 - 08/27/04 10:46 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

The spores never did drop properly, but there was some green staining where the edge of the cap met the paper. The gills turned a gorgeous olive color overnight. Should be chlorophyllum molybdites.
Thank you for the lead on the smaller one. I think it was probably Lycoperdon spadiceum, and just hadn't shed its veil and turned yellow yet.
Wallace

OfflineGumbyM
Fishnologist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: BRICK CITY!
Trusted Identifier
    #3060828 - 08/28/04 03:51 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

If you cut the mushroom in half that you suspect to be a Lycoperdon, it will be solid.

If it's a mushroom trapped inside a veil, you'll see the mushroom in there.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification