Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Do you give money to homeless people?
    #7419944 -

Yes or no.

Why?

I've been back and forth on this a number of times, especially after I went to India, but I really can't decide whether to give them money or not.


--------------------
I am the king of Rome, and above grammar! - Emperor Sigismund

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you give money to homeless people? [Re: Heffy]
    #7419982 -

Depends on the homeless person, depends on my mood at the moment.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you give money to homeless people? [Re: Heffy]
    #7419989 -

I would be willing to buy them a healthy meal but no straight out cash.


--------------------
“The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought.”  -- Rudiger Dornbusch

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you give money to homeless people? [Re: Heffy]
    #7420019 -

Sometimes. Often enough that they usually empty most of the change out of my car. More often a ciggerette if i just got a fresh pack.

Its just one of those things. A small act of kindness. It makes me feel good.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you give money to homeless people? [Re: breakableweed]
    #7421212 -

breakableweed said:
Depends on the homeless person, depends on my mood at the moment.




--------------------
The love you take is equal to the love you make....

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you give money to homeless people? [Re: zorbman]
    #7421284 -

Quote:
I would be willing to buy them a healthy meal but no straight out cash.




--------------------
:Awesketch:

:cool: Fair is Fair :devil:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you give money to homeless people? [Re: Brainiac]
    #7421556 -

fuck no. i would do nothing. 99% of "homeless people" are panhandlers with some making in excess of 100,000 dollars a year from poor saps feeling sorry for them. It's a joke, it's not MY job to take care of them. Every person is given the CHOICE to take care of themselves. If they don't, they don't deserve to live. Enabling the choice to be easier is one thing (such as supplying the means, which does not include free money..food yes; work, yes; money, no.), but locally, in the states, there is no reason one would go homeless. They choose to be homeless because they are better off that way..or so they feel. They have no problem getting free money. It's easier to live off of others. Most people don't like their lives away from their parents initially...it's shitty and hard and some never stop disliking it....reverting to relying on others.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you give money to homeless people? [Re: Heffy]
    #7422201 -

umm I dont know where you are, but here in the bay area, most homeless people arnt going to get a job, mainly because a good majority of them are mentally ill.

99% of homeless people make 100,000 a year.


such a crock of shit.


--------------------

"There is never a wrong note, bend it."
Jimi Hendrix


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you give money to homeless people? [Re: Heffy]
    #7422210 -

sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Depends on the vibe I get from the homeless person


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you give money to homeless people? [Re: Heffy]
    #7422301 -

I do if i have some spare cash, it's not like i need it.

If situations were reversed and it was me asking, i'd be grateful for those people who cared enough to give...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you give money to homeless people? [Re: Mike_yy]
    #7422317 -

if a homeless guy mad 100,000 dollars a year i dont think he would be homeless anymore.:penguinmonkey:..ill buy them a burger or a meal,even if its left overs you took home from a resturant you know they are stoked.


--------------------
you make every thing grooooovyy

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you give money to homeless people? [Re: PoppyRider]
    #7422346 -

Obviously he's wrong on his statistics, but i did read something a while ago saying a small amount of homeless people did ring in over 60k/yr. A small amount though; and remained pretending to be homeless to have their do nothing income.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you give money to homeless people? [Re: Helixx]
    #7422699 -

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote a story about just this thing. To think that even then the same thing happened makes me smile, kinda.

To answer your question. It is a joyous thing to be able to help when help is needed. What i s a couple extra dollars here and there really gonna mean to me? It means a great deal to them.


--------------------
Asshole

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you give money to homeless people? [Re: nakors_junk_bag]
    #7422945 -
Log in to view attachment

Couldn't resist,, :grin:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you give money to homeless people? [Re: Mike_yy]
    #7422968 -

I give him two dollars, he gives me some knowledge!


--------------------
Asshole

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you give money to homeless people? [Re: nakors_junk_bag]
    #7423101 -

:rockon:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you give money to homeless people? [Re: sui]
    #7423451 -

suimush said:
umm I dont know where you are, but here in the bay area, most homeless people arnt going to get a job, mainly because a good majority of them are mentally ill.

99% of homeless people make 100,000 a year.


such a crock of shit.



I agree, BUT I met a homeless girl that likes being homeless. She doesn't beg/panhandle. She works at the soup kitchen to get food and people will feed her if she is really hungry. And if she ever really needed money, she would ask one of the local farmers if she could work for them by harvesting some of their crops.

She's happy. probably one of the most interesting person I've met lately.


--------------------
The best way to live
is to be like water
For water benefits all things
and goes against none of them
It provides for all people
and even cleanses those places
a man is loath to go
In this way it is just like Tao        ~Daodejing

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you give money to homeless people? [Re: Cracka_X]
    #7423495 -

Yeah, it depends on the homeless person and how I'm feeling at the time. The aggressive panhandlers just piss me off.
The last time I gave one some money was a guy who approached a friend of mine and I while we were tripping our asses off in Denver. He wanted some change, he was polite about it and I had a pocket full I had been saving from every time I filled my tank up while driving across the country. So he got a heaping handful and I got rid of the heavy pocket that was weighing me down.


--------------------
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you give money to homeless people? *DELETED* [Re: Heffy]
    #7423922 -

Post deleted by niki420

Reason for deletion: .


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Do you give money to homeless people? [Re: serendipitythenot]
    #7424328 -

I went to India last year, and saw some REALLY desperate people, with very serious problems. Some had birth defects so serious they couldn't walk bipedally, and many of them lived in shanty towns all over the city.

They were so aggressive, and needy compared to the homeless people I am used to seeing, that when I got back to Canada I was no longer intimidated by homeless people. In fact I had this feeling like they were just whining and carrying on, because there are so many services available to them here.
This has kind of worn off and now I really don't know how to feel.

In some ways I feel like giving money to a lot of the homeless people I see is almost a disservice, because they are obviously using it to maintain their substance abuse problems.
On the other hand I feel like I am a big asshole sometimes when I walk by people and don't give them money.

I dunno I thought I'd ask you guys, you usually have interesting responses to these kinds of questions.


--------------------
I am the king of Rome, and above grammar! - Emperor Sigismund

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Facing Homelessness astral_stardust 1,007 16 10/10/10 10:22 PM
by Solving Ennui
* Going homeless at the end of the month..
( 1 2 all )
Blue_Apocalypse 4,312 24 08/09/04 01:50 AM
by ivi
* I want to kill myself before I become homeless.
( 1 2 all )
Anonymous 10,096 21 12/23/10 02:15 PM
by sleepy
* I'm Scared Because I Want To Be Homeless
( 1 2 all )
Anonymous 2,467 21 05/21/10 06:08 AM
by WhiskeyClone
* Homelessness *DELETED*
( 1 2 all )
Ferris 3,440 34 11/20/06 04:34 PM
by Krishna
* Anyone here ever been in a Homeless Shelter mctaveesh 852 15 10/09/18 04:03 AM
by Nimph
* Homeless/Lonely/Stuck for the Holidays...
( 1 2 all )
AbstractHarmonix 2,850 21 12/10/04 01:58 AM
by Phluck
* Homeless tonight so far. Anonymous 392 5 02/15/14 11:32 PM
by SeaShrooms

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: CherryBom, Asante, Rose, mndfreeze, yogabunny, feevers, CookieCrumbs, Northerner
4,428 topic views. 0 members, 4 guests and 5 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.026 seconds spending 0.004 seconds on 17 queries.