Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Are growing shrooms as dangerous as I think..?
    #7331802 -

I've heard lots of stories about contaminations, and it kind of scares me from growing mushrooms. Is contam very common or something I should fret about?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Are growing shrooms as dangerous as I think..? [Re: Phishe]
    #7331822 -

I just inoculated my first 8 jars, 6 of them got contaminated. As far as I can gather, contams don't pose a health threat unless it grows on the mushroom itself, and the only problem with them is that they will inhibit mushroom growth. So long as you are super sterile, you should be alright. The air in my house is very dirty. Also, I just learned about a new type of jarring procedure known as the "Ramsey Seal", When I get my new syringes, I plan to employ this new seal as it seems to be far superior to the old dry vermiculite layer. It's definitely worth doing though, you start doing it as a way to trip but you end up enjoying the entire process as a hobby.

Edited by Psilocin Dreams (08/25/07 01:51 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Are growing shrooms as dangerous as I think..? [Re: Phishe]
    #7331829 -

just research enough not to be concerned. dangers come from stupidity when almost everything has been touched on when it comes to newbie mistakes.

I use to grow in a dirty apartment with harmless trich that grew but i still got mushrooms out of my grows. you wont waste money as long as you follow the guidelines. if your afraid of contams the fucking cops are the ones to be scared of.

fuck you nosy cops. damn freaks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Are growing shrooms as dangerous as I think..? [Re: Phishe]
    #7331870 -

contams are easy as hell to spot. they really cant be overlooked unless the contamination is really small. and if its so small that you cant see it, chances are it wont do any damage. as long as there isnt any botulinum on your mushrooms.

but the risk, if you know what you're doing, is next to nothing. first of all, if you know what you are doing, you shoudnt have any problems with contams. secondly, if you have half a brain, you can spot them easily. third, you can small them just as easily as ou can spot them.

but definately do more research because it is not that big of a concern.


--------------------


Anyone need a glass pipe? : http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002435158931

Love powerfully :peace::heart::peace:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Are growing shrooms as dangerous as I think..? [Re: Drewwyann]
    #7331876 -

the main idea is this, any contam you have will be inside a sealed container. If you spot some throw it out.

when you get to the fruiting chamber you should be starting out with something that is completely white(unless its shitake).

If you get contam in the fruiting chamber again, toss it at the first signs. or take it outside(or plastic bag) cut the contam out and return the healthy part to fruit.

follow that logic and you should be fine. oh and clean your fruiting chamber often

white = good, not white = bad



--------------------
We were sent to hell for eternity :hellfire: Ø:omgawesome:h®
We play on earth to pass the time :foreheadslap:

Over-population the root of all Evil-brings the Elites Closer to the gates.

Edited by makaveli8x8 (08/25/07 02:26 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Are growing shrooms as dangerous as I think..? [Re: makaveli8x8]
    #7331879 -

Cut the contam out and return it to fruit? :what:


--------------------
Tradelist
My Ethnobotanical Garden
Cup Greenhouse Tek. Make small sturdy pots (With detachable grenhouse tops) with cups.


Your human friend will have to dose atropine uninformed, I will not spread information that may harm a cat. - Wiccan_Seeker

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Are growing shrooms as dangerous as I think..? [Re: sublimistri]
    #7331882 -

yep cut it and apply salt/water paste


--------------------
We were sent to hell for eternity :hellfire: Ø:omgawesome:h®
We play on earth to pass the time :foreheadslap:

Over-population the root of all Evil-brings the Elites Closer to the gates.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Are growing shrooms as dangerous as I think..? [Re: makaveli8x8]
    #7331883 -

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/7306577/an/0/page/0

stuff like this throws me off. theres two sides of the arguement

Tredndal said from that thread
Quote:
The myc could fight them off...but the risk isn't from eating contams, it from eating the toxins produced by contams. The myc absorbs the toxins very easily, spreading them through the cake. If you eat a mushroom that grew on a cake with contams in it, the mushroom could have some toxins in it - no matter how far apart the contams and mushroom were.

If they're on the same cake...its a risk to eat them.




--------------------
Tradelist
My Ethnobotanical Garden
Cup Greenhouse Tek. Make small sturdy pots (With detachable grenhouse tops) with cups.


Your human friend will have to dose atropine uninformed, I will not spread information that may harm a cat. - Wiccan_Seeker

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Are growing shrooms as dangerous as I think..? [Re: makaveli8x8]
    #7331890 -

cut it assuming its no bigger than the size of a quarter.

if half your cake or w/e is covered well....

if its black mold throw it away regardless.

cut outside or in bag to stop spread of mold spores


--------------------
We were sent to hell for eternity :hellfire: Ø:omgawesome:h®
We play on earth to pass the time :foreheadslap:

Over-population the root of all Evil-brings the Elites Closer to the gates.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Are growing shrooms as dangerous as I think..? [Re: makaveli8x8]
    #7331896 -

well i "think" i read rr say if it fruits its safe to eat as long as the mushroom itself is healthy.

the only thing that is debateable from my memory is bacterial....that "could" spread but ive heard that go both ways


--------------------
We were sent to hell for eternity :hellfire: Ø:omgawesome:h®
We play on earth to pass the time :foreheadslap:

Over-population the root of all Evil-brings the Elites Closer to the gates.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Are growing shrooms as dangerous as I think..? [Re: makaveli8x8]
    #7331898 -

makaveli8x8 said:
cut it assuming its no bigger than the size of a quarter.

if half your cake or w/e is covered well....

if its black mold throw it away regardless.

cut outside or in bag to stop spread of mold spores



What if it was just a few black pieces of rice that got mixed with your top layer of verm and only two or three pieces touched mycellium. Im thinkin it might be ok, but then again, i dunno...


--------------------
Tradelist
My Ethnobotanical Garden
Cup Greenhouse Tek. Make small sturdy pots (With detachable grenhouse tops) with cups.


Your human friend will have to dose atropine uninformed, I will not spread information that may harm a cat. - Wiccan_Seeker

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Are growing shrooms as dangerous as I think..? [Re: makaveli8x8]
    #7331901 -

so lets update this once more then

mold=cut + water/salt unless its blackmold

if you spot bacterial aka wetspot =garbage-burn-incinerate

might wear mask whenever dealing with contam.

also heavy mushroom spore loads are bad for lungs too aka oysters


--------------------
We were sent to hell for eternity :hellfire: Ø:omgawesome:h®
We play on earth to pass the time :foreheadslap:

Over-population the root of all Evil-brings the Elites Closer to the gates.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Are growing shrooms as dangerous as I think..? [Re: Phishe]
    #7331904 -

the biggest danger in mushroom cultivation is that they turn you gay

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Are growing shrooms as dangerous as I think..? [Re: makaveli8x8]
    #7331906 -

if your not sure =garbage don't chance it


--------------------
We were sent to hell for eternity :hellfire: Ø:omgawesome:h®
We play on earth to pass the time :foreheadslap:

Over-population the root of all Evil-brings the Elites Closer to the gates.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Are growing shrooms as dangerous as I think..? [Re: CaptainKirk]
    #7331908 -

CaptainKirk said:
the biggest danger in mushroom cultivation is that they turn you gay




--------------------
We were sent to hell for eternity :hellfire: Ø:omgawesome:h®
We play on earth to pass the time :foreheadslap:

Over-population the root of all Evil-brings the Elites Closer to the gates.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Are growing shrooms as dangerous as I think..? [Re: sublimistri]
    #7331969 -

sublimistri said:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/7306577/an/0/page/0

stuff like this throws me off. theres two sides of the arguement

Tredndal said from that thread
Quote:
The myc could fight them off...but the risk isn't from eating contams, it from eating the toxins produced by contams. The myc absorbs the toxins very easily, spreading them through the cake. If you eat a mushroom that grew on a cake with contams in it, the mushroom could have some toxins in it - no matter how far apart the contams and mushroom were.

If they're on the same cake...its a risk to eat them.







Half the time, comments like this are made up by people who haven't got a friggin clue and then it spreads like wildfire until it becomes religion.

First of all, does that particular contamination produce toxins? Certainly with the more common contamination molds such as trichoderma or cobweb, I sincerely doubt it, as we are in contact daily with the stuff. The articles I have looked up don't mention any toxicity to humans.

Obviosly depending on what contam it is I wouldn't consider keeping the cake, especially in the case of anything bacterial.

The other thing to keep in mind is that if you are immunocompromised (i.e. Aids or undergoing radiotherapy among others) the spores of ANY fungus can be dangerous to your health.


--------------------
Newcomers guide-----> For all things shroomy

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Are growing shrooms as dangerous as I think..? [Re: Nibin]
    #7331979 -

and don't forget about that kid who had mushrooms growing in his sinus cavity :eek:


--------------------
We were sent to hell for eternity :hellfire: Ø:omgawesome:h®
We play on earth to pass the time :foreheadslap:

Over-population the root of all Evil-brings the Elites Closer to the gates.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Are growing shrooms as dangerous as I think..? [Re: Nibin]
    #7332003 -

Nibin said:
sublimistri said:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/7306577/an/0/page/0

stuff like this throws me off. theres two sides of the arguement

Tredndal said from that thread
Quote:
The myc could fight them off...but the risk isn't from eating contams, it from eating the toxins produced by contams. The myc absorbs the toxins very easily, spreading them through the cake. If you eat a mushroom that grew on a cake with contams in it, the mushroom could have some toxins in it - no matter how far apart the contams and mushroom were.

If they're on the same cake...its a risk to eat them.







Half the time, comments like this are made up by people who haven't got a friggin clue and then it spreads like wildfire until it becomes religion.

First of all, does that particular contamination produce toxins? Certainly with the more common contamination molds such as trichoderma or cobweb, I sincerely doubt it, as we are in contact daily with the stuff. The articles I have looked up don't mention any toxicity to humans.

Obviosly depending on what contam it is I wouldn't consider keeping the cake, especially in the case of anything bacterial.

The other thing to keep in mind is that if you are immunocompromised (i.e. Aids or undergoing radiotherapy among others) the spores of ANY fungus can be dangerous to your health.




youd have to know the situation the cake looked done, then there was a few black lookin pieces of brf. They were in the verm layer above the mycellium and there was a couple pieces touchin myc.

anyways this isnt culti forum :what:


--------------------
Tradelist
My Ethnobotanical Garden
Cup Greenhouse Tek. Make small sturdy pots (With detachable grenhouse tops) with cups.


Your human friend will have to dose atropine uninformed, I will not spread information that may harm a cat. - Wiccan_Seeker

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Are growing shrooms as dangerous as I think..? [Re: sublimistri]
    #7332019 -

if it is contamed throw it out!!!


--------------------
=================================================
if you have any questions please feel free to pm me , thx :-)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Are growing shrooms as dangerous as I think..? [Re: royer]
    #7332026 -

royer9864 said:
if it is contamed throw it out!!!



lol its only one cake, and its dixielands, im just doin it for prints and pics, not many dixieland grows.


--------------------
Tradelist
My Ethnobotanical Garden
Cup Greenhouse Tek. Make small sturdy pots (With detachable grenhouse tops) with cups.


Your human friend will have to dose atropine uninformed, I will not spread information that may harm a cat. - Wiccan_Seeker

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Advice Needed: Taking Shrooms Before Art Class
( 1 2 all )
SaintR 3,324 23 03/02/18 11:23 AM
by basqueshaman
* Shrooms found in Afganistan
( 1 2 all )
T0aD 7,742 23 02/20/03 08:39 PM
by cybrbeast
* Shroom/ery/ Whatever Freestyle Cow Shit Collector 1,963 7 03/13/17 11:15 AM
by czech
* What kinda shrooms are these? Superunknown 2,599 14 12/03/02 01:27 AM
by felix
* Let It Grow
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 all )
Ripple 13,410 121 02/17/03 01:58 AM
by Ripple
* Damn shroom ratings Blue_JAY 1,611 4 11/28/02 11:25 PM
by Ripple
* how desperate for money are you? Larrythescaryrex 1,321 10 01/09/03 03:25 AM
by Jackal
* Long time... Thunderfuck 737 6 01/20/03 02:24 AM
by boO

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
5,061 topic views. 2 members, 6 guests and 149 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.028 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 18 queries.