Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineJeremy_Davis
Mycelial NetworkAdministrator
Male User Gallery

Loc: Florida
Re: Shiitake - pasteurized substrate [Re: FreeSporePrints]
    #7187929 - 07/17/07 12:42 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Nice write ups Fabio. I like the linked one here
http://www.freesporeprints.org/smf/index.php?topic=48.0

So you pasteurize the sawdust/chips in boiling water for ten minutes? then add the water and substrate into the rubbermaid bin to sit and cool. Shaking helps evenly distribute the water onto the substrate?

Then you do the inoculation by pouring out your grain spawn onto the substrate and then bagging it?

What is your spawn ratio?

Also I know it's a lot of questions, but what do you think of those bags? They look like the SacO2 bags from Europe. I heard they're one of the best in the industry.

--------------------
Jeremy Davis
Educational Concerns for Hunger Organization, Inc.
Check out the ECHO mushroom blog page to see our lab, growing facility, and more-www.echotech.org/greta

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFreeSporePrints
Male User Gallery

Loc: Rome, Italy Flag
Re: Shiitake - pasteurized substrate [Re: Jeremy_Davis]
    #7188047 - 07/17/07 01:01 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Hello Jeremy, hi all :smile:

The term i prefer to use is boil :smile: i boil them 10 minutes to rehydrate better, then i pour the hot (dark brown) water with the woodchips into the bin with chopped "tronchetti"(=the ultra pressed sawdust used for wood burning ovens or fireplaces). Mix and let cool. Is important you shake hardly a minute or two. The water in something like 20 seconds will be totally absorbed by the pressed dried tronchetti.

Then i inocule when cool, mixing the grain spawn with the pasteurized substrate. I mix it shaking the box with the closed lid.

I suggest to use a plastic bin A LOT bigger than the amount of substrate your are pasteurizing <-more space means easy shake.

My spawn ratio is really high, never calculated, but i'm sure it will work also with lower ratios.

Yes a part are SacO2 mycobags, a part are common freezer bags for food (i mean the one with blue milk caps)

I've to make a comparison with Unicorn spawnbags, but i'm sure the oxygenation is far better or SacO2. Unlucky they accept a minimum orders of 1000 bags per time..

Fabio :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags