Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains

Jump to first unread post. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineJeremy_Davis
Mycelial NetworkAdministrator
Male User Gallery

Loc: Florida
Re: my shiitake [Re: Thai_connection]
    #6273715 - 11/12/06 12:16 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Well quicker and better tasting are good places to start! I also saw he was using the 75 strain, which of course is excellent. I love John's ideas and his work, he's definitely an amazing resource!

Also Thai - Congratulations! So you say new additions! (plural?) You must really have your hands full! That's wonderful, and such a blessing.

Back to the shiitake - so if and when you have time - how long from spawning to fruiting on the wheat straw?

I like the use of the lime bath for pasteurization. What are the amounts you use? Also I notice that during a hot water pasteurization, that the rice straw seems to degrade/breakdown a little and has quite a pungent smell, is this the same with the lime/bleach bath?

Did you ever do your 50 more bags? results?

Do you add any supplementation (or would you recommend any)?

Since Micolo2 mentioned yields, what do you think your yields were for your bags?

Okay I'll let you get back to the kids!
Light and Love,
JD

--------------------
Jeremy Davis
Educational Concerns for Hunger Organization, Inc.
Check out the ECHO mushroom blog page to see our lab, growing facility, and more-www.echotech.org/greta

Edited by Jeremy_Davis (11/12/06 12:32 AM)

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineCryogenicz
what?
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: my shiitake [Re: Jeremy_Davis]
    #6277439 - 11/13/06 01:16 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I'd love to get a wedge of that.. but for 100$ DAMN!

--------------------
www.MycoPath.com
Mushroom Spawn, Cultures, Fungi Bags, Casings, Master Grain Jars, Bags for In-vitro, Laboratory supplies, and much more!
Mushroom Supplies. Fast Turnaround Times. Great Service.
orders@mycopath.com
enter code shroomery for 10% off product.

www.FungiForum.com

OfflineJeremy_Davis
Male User Gallery

Re: my shiitake [Re: Cryogenicz]
    #6278566 - 11/13/06 01:53 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Cryogenicz said:
I'd love to get a wedge of that.. but for 100$ DAMN!

Yeah, but for commercial operations, the old adage holds true - you gotta spend money to make money!

--------------------
Jeremy Davis
Check out the ECHO mushroom blog page to see our lab, growing facility, and more-www.echotech.org/greta

OfflineCryogenicz
what?
Male User Gallery

#6280915 - 11/14/06 01:26 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

true!

--------------------
www.MycoPath.com
Mushroom Spawn, Cultures, Fungi Bags, Casings, Master Grain Jars, Bags for In-vitro, Laboratory supplies, and much more!
orders@mycopath.com

www.FungiForum.com

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: upstate NY, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: my shiitake [Re: Cryogenicz]
    #6281558 - 11/14/06 09:19 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

That $100 culture will last many years and thousands of grows if you preserve it properly.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineCryogenicz
what?
Male User Gallery

Re: my shiitake [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6288146 - 11/16/06 01:52 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

No doubt. The thing is, is I'd love to actualy taste them, see them, see how they fruit for myself before shelling out $100. You know?

--------------------
www.MycoPath.com
orders@mycopath.com

www.FungiForum.com

OfflineThai_connection
Siam
 User Gallery

Loc: Thailand
    #6291472 - 11/16/06 10:21 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Jeremy_Davis said:
Well quicker and better tasting are good places to start! I also saw he was using the 75 strain, which of course is excellent. I love John's ideas and his work, he's definitely an amazing resource!

Also Thai - Congratulations! So you say new additions! (plural?) You must really have your hands full! That's wonderful, and such a blessing.

Back to the shiitake - so if and when you have time - how long from spawning to fruiting on the wheat straw?

I like the use of the lime bath for pasteurization. What are the amounts you use? Also I notice that during a hot water pasteurization, that the rice straw seems to degrade/breakdown a little and has quite a pungent smell, is this the same with the lime/bleach bath?

Did you ever do your 50 more bags? results?

Do you add any supplementation (or would you recommend any)?

Since Micolo2 mentioned yields, what do you think your yields were for your bags?

Okay I'll let you get back to the kids!
Light and Love,
JD

I don't have access t wheat, i use a 70/30 straw and rice husk(hull) with bits of broken rice not more that 3% for the substrate. then i just soak them (cold) in bleach 1/2 cup to 15 gallons h20 and lime 1/4 cup to 15 gallons h2o overnight(it doesn't have a funky smell)..then drain and have it bake in the sun for another day in a tote.
i did a 24hrs dunk after the substrate was colonized. i took a bit more than a month to get fruits..also the fruits i got was great in comparasion to the substrate ratio. the bag of substrate fitted into the palm of my hand with ease so its not a big bag. and yes i did the 50 bags and all provided fruits..very deliciuos may i add. again i only have done this to the strain 75, i have over 5 different strains, but haven't had the chance to go into my hobby full time with 2 toddlers running me into an old man.

siam

Invisiblephalcon005

#6293274 - 11/17/06 10:53 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I've read in GGMM about chemical pasteurization procedures, but yours sounds quite nice. I'm guessing the day in the sun step neutralizes the bleach solution? Very interesting, I might have to try this one out soon. I've been refining Roger Rabbit's oyster log for my setup and it is looking quite good, but being able to set up and leave it overnight to pasteurize would better fit my schedule. I too have a little one running around, and he makes it hard for me to squeeze in RR's tek on a week night.

Offlinezeegos
Shroomagator
 User Gallery

Loc: bat country
Re: my shiitake [Re: phalcon005]
    #6293396 - 11/17/06 11:38 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

is there a specific type of bleach to be used?

OfflineJeremy_Davis
Male User Gallery

#6299149 - 11/19/06 01:06 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I don't have access t wheat, i use a 70/30 straw and rice husk(hull) with bits of broken rice not more that 3% for the substrate. then i just soak them (cold) in bleach 1/2 cup to 15 gallons h20 and lime 1/4 cup to 15 gallons h2o overnight(it doesn't have a funky smell)..then drain and have it bake in the sun for another day in a tote.
i did a 24hrs dunk after the substrate was colonized. i took a bit more than a month to get fruits..also the fruits i got was great in comparison to the substrate ratio. the bag of substrate fitted into the palm of my hand with ease so its not a big bag. and yes i did the 50 bags and all provided fruits..very deliciuos may i add. again i only have done this to the strain 75, i have over 5 different strains, but haven't had the chance to go into my hobby full time with 2 toddlers running me into an old man.

siam

You know, I don't know how I mixed that up...I knew you were talking about rice straw, and for some crazy reason, wrote wheat...my bad!

As far as your soak water- do you use a total of 30 gallons? 15 w/ bleach and 15 w/lime or is a total of 15 gallons of water w/ bleach and lime? Thanks!

--------------------
Jeremy Davis

OfflineThai_connection
Siam
 User Gallery

Loc: Thailand
    #6299191 - 11/19/06 01:31 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

it's a total of 15 gallons of water w/ bleach and lime together.

siam

Jump to top. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms