Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Paul Stamets

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinetchyted
miestro
Loc: WA near seattle
pinhead transplants
    #715079 - 07/01/02 07:26 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

my neighbor's cat has recently been doing some experiments with large tray culture of P. cubensis.

she having worked with PF's house strain noted a huge propensity to produce aborts and few if any actual adult mushrooms.

i suggest that this may be a survival mechanism for them, since in the wild, there are likely to be critters that munch on the pinheads. that way, producing numerous surplus pins ensures that there will be at least one available to fruit. it appears that this is hormonal in nature, in short, PF stain is horney! unfortunatly invitro, this may be too much of a good thing, and the overproduction of pins outstrips the substrate's ability to support them, so they abort.

by accident, my neighbor's cat dropped a cluster of aborts from one cake onto another, and conjecturing that mycelium form one cubie is compatible with another from the same sporemass, left it there.

it turns out, however that the cake that got dropped onto was another variety that is widly known for its poor pinset and late blooming at that. the pins did not mature, they proceeded to abort, same as they would have if they had been left on thier original cake. BUT. within two days of the transplant, apparantly, sex-hormone from the PF's caused the el-gigante to break out in pins bigtime. Pudetat reports that this shouldn't have happened for weeks!

she repeated this proceedure on purpose and the result seems encouraging.

My question is if anyone else has seen similar phenomena, or has tried similar experiments. would anyone care to varify pudetat's findings?

it seems that pudetat, (my neighbor's cat) has been having a great deal of trouble getting pinset on tray culture rather than cakes. she has tried all kinds of pinset initiation strategies. any help appriciated. pudetat likes to invite friends over for tunafish, and we have an arrangement whereby i exchange opened cans of tuna for being shown the location of her currant crop.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleChampion des Champignons
long standing member;)

Loc: Alba
Re: pinhead transplants [Re: tchyted]
    #715340 - 07/01/02 11:00 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

It talks in TMC about how a water extract of pins can make a different culture start pinning, even across species. It was conjectured that the chemical responsible is cAMP.
That's all I can remember

--------------------
---------------------------------------------------
hmmm........

OfflineDinoMyc
Ipsa scientiapotestas est
Re: pinhead transplants [Re: tchyted]
    #715554 - 07/01/02 01:04 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

yep- It's a documented method, thanks for bringing it up. Perhaps more work shold be done with this.

--------------------
If I made affront, I apologize.
If I made affirmation, I apologize.
I merely came to listen, came to say.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Paul Stamets

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology