Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

North Spore Shop: Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Is it illegal to sell a Comcast Digital Cable/HD/DVR receiver?
    #7119967 -

My friends dad asked us to go check out one of his rental properties a few days ago to see what kind of condition his tenants left it in when they moved out. He told us that anything we found inside the house, we could keep. Most of it was junk and it was disappointing that even though they left 4 dirt bikes and an ATV behind, they were in such shitty condition that it wasn't even worth my time to fix them up to have fun with.

I did manage to find a very nice brand new Comcast digital cable receiver. It's a Motorola DCT6412 HD/DVR dual tuner with a 120gig hard drive. Now of course they are assigned to each individual account so it's not like I could plug it in and get free cable. I was doing some searching around online today and I found that people sell these things on ebay for up to $150 with the remote and power cable. Of course that got me seeing dollar signs pretty quick. :laugh:

My question is, is it illegal to sell this to someone else? Like I said, it's not like they can hook it up and get free cable or anything. The reason I'm curious is because it has a HUGE sticker on the bottom that says "Property of Comcast, blah blah blah... stealing is bad". Since the actual customer usually never has to buy the setup (they are provided by the cable company and sometimes rented out), technically it's still property of Comcast.

It's not like I really care if it's technically illegal, I'm just curious as to if it's something that they actively watch for and try to prosecute.

Anyone know?

Also, would anyone like to buy it? :crazy2:


--------------------
Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is it illegal to sell a Comcast Digital Cable/HD/DVR receiver? [Re: WakeboardrB]
    #7119995 -

I'm pretty sure selling the box itself is legal. We'd be living in a pretty unjust world if it wasn't.


--------------------
Huuuuurrrrrr!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is it illegal to sell a Comcast Digital Cable/HD/DVR receiver? [Re: WakeboardrB]
    #7119997 -

I suppose it would depend on whether or not the tenants purchased the box or if it was on loan/rental from comcast


I know recently, here in middle TN at least, comcast has given out receivers 'for free' right now in efforts to get everyone into the in-demand/HD age, but I'm sure they will start charging a $5 monthly rental fee starting next year...because they're comcast


--------------------
channel your inner Larry David

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is it illegal to sell a Comcast Digital Cable/HD/DVR receiver? [Re: demiu5]
    #7120031 -

demius said:
I suppose it would depend on whether or not the tenants purchased the box or if it was on loan/rental from comcast


I know recently, here in middle TN at least, comcast has given out receivers 'for free' right now in efforts to get everyone into the in-demand/HD age, but I'm sure they will start charging a $5 monthly rental fee starting next year...because they're comcast



Through all the research I've done, I can't find a single place that actually sells these recievers outright. The only place I can find them for sale is on ebay.

Comcast charges a few bucks extra a month for DVR, so I assume that is actually a rental fee.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure selling the box itself is legal. We'd be living in a pretty unjust world if it wasn't.



Technically it still is the property of Comcast. They were supposed to get the box back when the tenants canceled their service and moved.


--------------------
Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is it illegal to sell a Comcast Digital Cable/HD/DVR receiver? [Re: WakeboardrB]
    #7120069 -

Is there a serial number/barcode on the bottom? For some reason, I thought each box had a unique identifier on it.

Either way, Comcast is not going to lose track of the box. If it isn't returned, SOMEONE is going to get a several-hundred dollar bill in the mail.


--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is it illegal to sell a Comcast Digital Cable/HD/DVR receiver? [Re: badchad]
    #7120114 -

Yeah, there is a bar code / serial number on the bottom of it as well as another ID number stuck to the bottom.

And apparently you don't have comcast or have never had a service technician come to your house. Every time a tech comes out they end up leaving a lot of money worth of tools or equipment behind. I have 2 older digital recievers in my closet as well as 3 commercial grade signal amplifiers and some really nice tools that they forget to take with them.

We've never gotten stuck with the bill for any of it.


--------------------
Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

North Spore Shop: Cultivation Supplies


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Downloading music and movies illegally...
( 1 2 all )
MrPink 6,186 34 04/05/04 10:55 AM
by OJK
* I hate Comcast (how many times has this been spoken?) JustK 1,033 6 01/06/07 09:36 AM
by AJ4U
* HELP! DSL OR CABLE?
( 1 2 all )
doubledog2 2,549 23 07/17/05 03:59 PM
by doubledog2
* Fricken comcast.... kronnyQ 843 15 04/07/05 11:15 PM
by Turd
* Is Shroom or MJ Cultivation Illegal in Holland? MOTH 1,350 10 01/13/04 08:13 PM
by Wilf
* Anyone have comcast? Also, an oddity of firefox. poke smot! 1,010 15 05/12/06 04:13 AM
by theuser
* Comcast just hooked me up BrAiN 870 12 12/12/07 10:35 AM
by Frosty_Storm
* Comcast cable broadband, why has my upload speed tripled in the past week? WakeboardrB 1,646 10 06/11/07 09:47 PM
by WakeboardrB

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
5,701 topic views. 7 members, 10 guests and 154 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.024 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 16 queries.