Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleLinkA
Intrinsically No Good

Loc: Lost Woods, Hyrule
Re: Mixing substrate with casing! The next big thing?
    #71186 - 01/11/00 12:38 AM (24 years, 3 months ago)

But, don't you run the dangerous risk of having the casing layer contaminate? I mean, if you have substrate in it, i'd give it about 3 days before it got hit. if it gets colonized slowly, then you're screwed. someone like ryche or you could probably do it, but i have problems with contaminated casings as it is. I'd like to hear about it though, if you try it.

Link

------------------
Remember a Day Before Today
A Day When We Were Young

Why Can't We Play Today?
Why Can't We Stay That Way?
-Pink Floyd

--------------------
Wonder had gone away, and he had forgotten that all life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.  -- H.P. Lovecraft "The Silver Key"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: Mixing substrate with casing! The next big thing? [Re: Link]
    #71188 - 01/11/00 01:03 AM (24 years, 3 months ago)

Sounds like a good idea to me... but I have one question, what does the concentration of compost to casing have to do with flushes? if you let it colonize like you say, won't it just end up colonizing faster with the 5 to 1 than with the 10 to 1? just wondering?
Oleander

------------------
I'm only two people away from having a menage a trois!

Offlineaims
journeyman
    #71189 - 01/11/00 01:13 AM (24 years, 3 months ago)

Link, I recently cased using (Stamet's?) recipe of 4 Volumes of Peat; 4 Volumes of Vermiculite; 1/4 Volume of Whiting; 1/4 Volume of Gypsum. This was wetted with bottled water and applied COMPLETELY UNSTERILISED. No contamination at all. Big healthy fruit. Try it!!

Anonymous

#71190 - 01/11/00 05:00 AM (24 years, 3 months ago)

Shroom god, I'm about to try casing some Pan Cyan rye grain w/ some cow shit compost(Bag of manure, peat moss and verm). I'm looking for a way to fruit them w/ out straw/shit. It should work fine and think of the time saved. I'll post my results soon.

Anonymous

#71191 - 01/12/00 12:29 AM (24 years, 3 months ago)

Link, you would reduce your risk of contamination! The mixed in material is fully colonized and will speed up the casing colonization. As for not pastuerizing the casing, I've never been a big believer in it anyway. I've done some pastuerized others not. It doesn't seem to mater much.

Oleander, I think the reason the higher ratio is said to fruit with more pins is because it will end up more tightly colonizing the casing. The times I've had the casing very colonized (or even overlayed) I've gotten a lot of smaller mushrooms. The times I've had the casing less colonized, I'm more likely to get a few larger ones.

aims, where did you get that casing receipe? I have both TMC and GGMM and didn't see it.

ShroomGod

OfflineMycelium5150
Check theDate!!!!
    #71192 - 01/12/00 01:13 AM (24 years, 3 months ago)

Hey shroomgod,
Thats too funny, i was thinking the same thing when i bought, probably, the same kit from the fungus fair in humboldt. The same guy was at the fair in sf and he reconized me. Why dont we we mix our casing? It made perfect sense to me when i read that on the instructions. By the way, did you make it to the fair? Did you see the cyanescens on display, those were mine. After walking around the fair for an hour i noticed therre were none on display. So i set out to find some. I hiked out in the park looking for a few hours and finally i found a nice sized patch. I picked them and brought them back to the fair. Ppl there were proud of a first timer finding them. well anyways, tell us how the casing works out.
Mycelium5150

--------------------
Mad skills, you know this!!!

I am here to Myth Bust

InvisibleRyche HawkV
A Messenger
Male User Gallery

#71193 - 01/12/00 01:56 AM (24 years, 3 months ago)

--------------------
-Peace-

High Quality MUSHROOM SPORES and CULTURES  for microscopy at www.muShrooms.com

muShrooms.com is the new web site of
www.thehawkseye.com

Edited by Ryche Hawk (06/05/17 05:57 PM)

Anonymous

#71194 - 01/12/00 04:56 AM (24 years, 3 months ago)

Ryche, Read page 126(s.a.c.) in the bible. What were talking about is supplementing the casing w/some left over spawn to speed colonization and add more nutrition to the substrate. I have used cotton seed meal befour and it worked w/great success so I have no reason to fear colonized rye. Any way the casing will perform like any other except a little faster :rolleyes:.

Anonymous

#71195 - 01/12/00 05:50 AM (24 years, 3 months ago)

there are some kind of right thing in this matter of mixing colonized substrate and casing...
Spanish agaricus growers mixe a completely colonized substrate with the casing to speed and improve the fruitings since lot of years ago....
well ...but as ryche said not all the myceliums are the same....
Nacho

Anonymous

#71196 - 01/12/00 12:47 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

Ryche, I don't think colonized substrate has any greater contamination risk than uncolonized casing soils! In fact, I think the exact opposite. Think about it: when is the last time a PF cake has spontaneously contaminated? When is the last time an uncolonized casing of yours has contaminated? Case closed! (no pun intended)

I did not make up this idea. This is directly from instructions of the hundreds of kits that were sold at the mushroom fair. And those kits rocked! I have some portabellas going now as well as some pink oysters that look sweet! These guys must know something because their kits are awesome!

Anyway, the point is that by mixing a very small amount of colonized substrate in the casing soil, you can speed up the very dangerous period of casing colonizaiton. It's this period that I have trouble with contamination. Once a casing is run through with mycelium, it is fairly resistant to any contamination given you don't get it too wet.

I am NOT suggesting adding enough substrate to the casing soil to supplement it! I know the casing must be fairly non-nutritive. That is NOT the point. Again, I'm just saying to speed up the casing colonization, one could add 1 to 5 or 1 to 10 parts (or even a lot less, say 1 part in 30) ground colonized birdseed substrate to the casing. You just need a few fragments of mycelium in that casing soil to really make a difference in colonization time and completeness.

I tell you what, I'll start some cubes and give it a whirl soon. Others should do the same. It works on Portabellas and others grown on compost and cased with a peat-based casing, so I don't see why it wouldn't work with cubes grown on birdseed cased with a peat/vermiculite-based casing.

ShroomGod

PS - Mycelium5150, yes I made it to the fair and bought tons of stuff! I bought three kits in fact, all of which are doing well. The pink oysters are particularly beautiful. I also bought mycelium dowels of several species of edibles as well as some of the best mushroom pictures I have ever seen.

[This message has been edited by ShroomGod (edited January 12, 2000).]

Anonymous

#71197 - 01/12/00 03:10 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

I believe a cake is pretty contam resistant, but it seems to me they aren't so resistant once you crumble them. Birdseed cakes at least there is a lot of exposed grain right after you crumble. I don't however see how this is any worse than the exposure suffered when the cake is crumbled for a regular casing. This exposure is ended as the mycel recovers, yes.. I wonder though how fine you intend to crumble the cakes before mixing with casing. It seems that if you crumble to a fine enough size it really hurts the mycel.

It'd be great if this works, though it looks like several people who know more than me have different expectations. Anyhow it'll be good to hear what happens.

[This message has been edited by Buffalo Trance (edited January 12, 2000).]

Anonymous

#71198 - 01/12/00 03:27 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

I have a tray of Ecuadors going right and I'm going to mix some innoculated grain w/the casing. Let's see how long It takes to colonize :biggrin: :biggrin:.

Anonymous

#71199 - 01/12/00 03:45 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

Why doesn't anyone just grow out some corn cob spawn, as cob is very resistant to contams, and is very easy to crumble into small pieces, and mix this in throughout the casing mixture? I think this sounds like one of those ideas where you go, "God! why didn't I think of that? I must be an idiot." It's so obvious when you think about it...
Oleander

------------------
I'm only two people away from having a menage a trois!

Anonymous

#71200 - 01/12/00 04:15 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

So I just cased the colonized straw and mixed in some rye grain spawn. I'll update daily.

InvisibleAnubisRonin
enthusiast
    #71201 - 01/12/00 04:46 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

I dont think anyone should be afraid of making a mistake... especially beginners.. If you screw up thats how you learn but if you dare and try something that sounds like it wont work, you just might make it work and pioneer something new to make this hobby easier....

Anonymous

#71202 - 01/12/00 08:11 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

The Alchemist, thank you and I eagerly await your report. Will you be incubating the chamber (i.e. 80-85°F) during casing colonization? I find this definitely works the best.

ShroomGOd

InvisibleRyche HawkV
A Messenger
Male User Gallery

#71203 - 01/13/00 10:22 AM (24 years, 3 months ago)

--------------------
-Peace-

High Quality MUSHROOM SPORES and CULTURES  for microscopy at www.muShrooms.com

muShrooms.com is the new web site of
www.thehawkseye.com

Edited by Ryche Hawk (06/05/17 05:58 PM)

Anonymous

#71204 - 01/12/00 11:54 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

Ryche, the fruiting won't commence until the caseing is colonized adaquetly. By this point all the little fragmented pieced will have grown together and will have become part of the whole..

This whole thing was an idea I had last year, only I had hoped it would work to add a cake slury to the caseing mix to function both as the moisture and the innoculant... I never got a chance to try it, as everything in my life fell apart including all experimentation...Oh god that sound pathetic doesn't it... oh well.. have to try it with the cambodia cubensis soon!.... Anyone interested might want to do a search for that thread. It might have some decent ideas in it, I don't remember..

Hey Ryche, you mentioned in another thread that you planned on posting a tek dealing with ecuadors grown on dung... Is that still happening?

ThE JafF

InvisibleCondi1
old hand
    #71205 - 01/13/00 12:30 AM (24 years, 3 months ago)

[This message has been edited by Condi1 (edited October 06, 2000).]

Offlinesean123
Stranger
    #71206 - 01/13/00 01:25 AM (24 years, 3 months ago)

doesn't the mycelium grow differently through the spawn medium/ substrate then it does through the casing layer?

mixing the casing layer with colonized spawn medium sounds interesting why dosen't some one try it and see what happens.

shroom god you are saying to mix the casing soil with colonized spawn medium and then case the substrate with the casing soil/ colonized spawn medium mixture?

in the case of psilocybe cubensis which doesn't need a casing layer to fruit or a substrate beyond the spawn medium (whatever medium that maybe) would mixing the entire colonized medium throughly with the casing soil be more benificial then simply casing it or not casing it at all?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale