Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineERaSMuS
journeyman
Registered: 07/11/00
Posts: 28
Last seen: 21 years, 6 months
Question RE: Pasteurization of ShroomGod's Straw
    #810634 - 08/11/02 09:44 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Hey Guys...

The following is the final excerpt from ShroomGod's Straw Tek, which I have a question about:

TIP 3: A great casing mix is 8 parts peat moss, 8 parts vermiculite, 1 part lime flour. Saturate 80% of it with tap water then mix in the remaining 20% dry to get the moisture right. You can pasteurize the casing by cooking it at 160?F (that's the warm setting on most ovens) covered with foil for 2 hours. Do not sterilize the casing. Many respectable mycologists discourage sterilization of the casing.

**Is he saying that one should put this completely mixed substrate in the oven after it's all mixed together? Won't this dry it out a lot? Or should the separate ingredients be put in first, and THEN mixed with water. Or is there simply enough water in the mixed substrate to allow some to evaporate?

Thanks much!


--------------------
Visit http://cashdollarcasino.8m.com <--Play for fun or for real cash! 30% bonus of free cash on your initial deposit!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinebluhoney
Yes Im a realgirl ,geeesh
Female User Gallery

Registered: 05/23/99
Posts: 936
Last seen: 17 years, 1 month
Re: Question RE: Pasteurization of ShroomGod's Straw [Re: ERaSMuS]
    #811135 - 08/11/02 02:10 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Go ahead and pasturize it all together water included. Once you apply the casing to your substrate, then you mist it each day and build up the moisture content. Peatmoss can hold masive amounts of water. MAKE sure to put the lime in or the peatmoss may contaminiate. bluhoney


--------------------
Information listed here is for entertainment only and is neither real or proven

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineERaSMuS
journeyman
Registered: 07/11/00
Posts: 28
Last seen: 21 years, 6 months
Re: Question RE: Pasteurization of ShroomGod's Straw [Re: bluhoney]
    #814045 - 08/13/02 02:17 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Okay, but it's not going to be misted, it's going to be hooked up to a cool mist humidifier via ShroomGod's Cool Mist tek. Any other comments?
thanks.


--------------------
Visit http://cashdollarcasino.8m.com <--Play for fun or for real cash! 30% bonus of free cash on your initial deposit!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Straw / Jiffy Mix tak_old 676 3 04/26/03 04:10 PM
by tak_old
* straw/manure mix good? carbonhoots 1,002 2 10/07/01 07:24 PM
by pj541
* question about casing straw remflack 722 3 04/13/03 03:54 PM
by Oddish
* Hmmm... Straw or compost? Splat 3,897 14 03/06/02 08:49 AM
by mycofile
* Oldtimer Straw Tek, Here It Is! Anonymous 5,641 19 12/07/01 11:29 AM
by Hippie3
* ShroomGod's Bulk Straw Tek!! ERaSMuS 3,566 9 10/19/02 09:34 AM
by angryshroom
* Will BRF cakes inoculate Straw properly? ERaSMuS 4,148 9 08/16/02 07:28 AM
by nonsence
* Oven-Bag Pasteurization "Tek" Pictorial angryshroom 21,275 8 04/02/03 09:16 AM
by pillsbury420

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
1,008 topic views. 39 members, 175 guests and 30 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2024 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.025 seconds spending 0.01 seconds on 14 queries.