Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Loc: GA
Re: After Steralization - how much time before enoculation and other questions?
    #69541 - 12/24/99 11:11 AM (24 years, 3 months ago)

Once the pressure is released from the cooker, you can remove the jars carefully caude they're hot. Then space them apart on the floor so they'll cool. Now you can sterilize more jars while these cool. I would wait at least 3 hours before inoculation, make sure they're cool to the touch. You can use a drawer for incubation, long as it stays warm in that drawer. I would suggest putting tape over the holes of your jars, then remove the tape during inoculation, then replace the tape during incubation. You can remove the tape when your jars are at 40% or so. The tinfoil is just to keep moisture out during sterilization. Hope this answers your questions :wink:

The Lizard,

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: After Steralization - how much time before enoculation and other questions? [Re: Lizard King]
    #69543 - 12/24/99 11:17 AM (24 years, 3 months ago)

I don't use a pressure cooker, but I would suggest waiting until the pressure cooker itself is cool before opening it. As soon as you take the lid off, quickly tighten the jars and put tape over them. Wait another 1-2 hours for the jars to cool. Quickly take a piece of tape off and inoculate that hole, then quickly put the tape back on. Repeat these steps with all of your jars. Using a drawer to incubate is okay, just put a towel over the whole incubation system to maintain the heat.

------------------
My mind is corrosive...

Anonymous

Re: After Steralization - how much time before enoculation and other questions? [Re: Lizard King]
    #69544 - 12/24/99 01:20 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

THanks people. One more question about the tape on the jars. Probably a stupid one - but is the tape sterile or does it need to be? In other words are you putting the tape on before or after sterilization? From what I gather your putting it on after sterilization for the purpose of keeping out contaminants right before and after innoculation. Later

Anonymous

#69545 - 12/24/99 01:26 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

I have another added question, do you need to LOOSEN the jars AND take off the tape? or just the tape, or what? I've just heard some conflicting info, I assume it's both. How loose should the jars be if the rubber seal is up?

Another quick question. When using a pressure cooker, if you stack the jars, do you still just fill up the water to about 1/3 of the way up the Bottem jar?

thanks guys! :smile:

------------------
"A life without cause is a life without effect" - Dildano, 'Barbarella'

OfflineGadget
addict

#69546 - 12/25/99 08:48 AM (24 years, 3 months ago)

This may not be the approved procedure, but it worked well for me

• Punched holes in jar lids
  • Filled Jars w/ substrate
  • Placed lids on jar, rubber side towards glass
  • Covered holes with paper masking tape.(tip, fold 1/2" of tape back on itself to make pull tab)
  • Covered top of jar/lid combo with foil (to keep water from accumulating on lid)
  • Placed in pressure cooker and cooked for 1 hour
  • Allowed to cool to room temp overnight
  • Went to dining room, turned off A/C & fan
  • Wiped table/chairs down with rubbnig alcohol
  • placed shot glass upside down on table
  • filled botton of shot glass with rubbing alchol
  • Placed jars on table with foil still in place
  • Grabed syringe from fridge and shaked up spores
  • Covered face with hanky
  • removed foil from one jar
  • removed cover on needle
  • lit alchol in shot glass
  • sterilized needle in flame till glowed
  • pushed plunger a little to cool needle
  • peeled back tape on one hole
  • injected 1/4 cc
  • replaced tape
  • repeated for remaining holes and jars
  • Placed innoculated jars back in box the came in

Disclamer: I've only done 6 jars my entire life, all 6 jars grew w/o any contamination.

Theory:
When jars are placed in cooker and cooker sealed. The jars and inside of cooker are at room pressure. As you heat cooker, pressure inside cooker rises, since jars are kind of sealed, pressure in jars remains at room pressure. After cooker is turned off, pressure inside cooker falls back to room pressure. If jars were possibly pressurized, due to leak on tape seal over holes, pressure would leak back out same way it got in (thru taped holes)

Side note:
Substrate is to be moist, moist Should be easly confused with dry. After innocculating, I was concerned that perhaps my substarte was too dry, but I left it alone. Once colinization took place, I could see water droplettes start to form on inside of glass.

Peace
/Gadget

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate