Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Delicious Bacon, Paul Stamets, Peat, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleLuciferX
ape

Re: Contaminated Casings
    #67727 - 12/07/99 01:09 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

contams can be a huge problem. I have lost alot of casings to the evil green mold. i have found casings usually get hit when contams are in the casing to begin with. if you are unsure about a jar.. throw it out. cause its not worth losing a tray of 3 or 6 jars over one questionable jar.

------------------
-LuciferX-
"Religion is the opiate of the people" Karl Marx.
Go to this site, I am poor.
http://www.alladvantage.com/home.asp?refid=BFR536

--------------------
----------------------------------------------------------
Once in awhile you can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinenavy
journeyman

Loc: Southern Cali...US of A
    #67729 - 12/07/99 01:12 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

try sterilizing everything you own...

once you got the contam problem, it's hard to get rid of the spores to keep it from spreading to the rest of your hobby...the old problem of contam spreading contam

------------------
"never fry bacon in the nude"
"getting women pregnant is bad"
~mom

--------------------
i've never had an imaginary friend...
but i was one once...
at least untill the kid figured out i wasn't really invisible

InvisibleRyche HawkV
A Messenger
Male User Gallery

#67730 - 12/07/99 03:28 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

I've always noticed rye has given me a lot of problems with contams.. so I stopped using it. One thing that is important....is how clean are your hands etc when your reaching into your tank. Do you wear a dust mask? We are the ones who tend to bring the trichoderma to the casing.. unless your substrate was contaminated to begin with.

Try using more peronal sterile methods. if that doesn't work.. switch to finch seed instead of rye.. or perhaps do both :smile:

-peace-

--------------------
-Peace-

High Quality MUSHROOM SPORES and CULTURES  for microscopy at www.muShrooms.com

muShrooms.com is the new web site of
www.thehawkseye.com
Sacred Mushroom Spores since the late 90's.

Anonymous

#67731 - 12/07/99 08:20 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

I think the best think one can do with rye is innoculate hay or straw with it. I have three casings of timothy cob hay colonizing right now. It's seems to be doing great so far. I also have two casings of regular pf cakes that I'm pinning right now. And I have about eight pints of bird seed pint jars that need to be cased. So far the only casings I've had contamination with were rye grain casings. Well let's hope these turn out like my first batch!!!! :smile:

------------------
He who controls the spice, controls the universe....

Anonymous

#67732 - 12/10/99 12:29 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Now, I've figured it out. Stamets states that rye grain casings are prone to green mold. Furthermore, slime mold thrives in a ph of 5.5-6.5 and is introduced through the peat. Next time I'll make sure I balance my ph right. Now, I've read where people have lost casings to green mold after the second or third flush. This is probably due to the casing becoming more acidic after each flush. Does anyone think that misting the casing with maybe lime water would prevent this?

------------------
He who controls the spice, controls the universe....

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Delicious Bacon, Paul Stamets, Peat, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation