Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinelaguendo
Serotoninja

Loc: Here and there and up nor...
Contaminated casing layer. Measures.
    #872661 - 09/09/02 04:20 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

This question has probably been asked before but I couldn't find it while searching.
So...
Situation:
Box spread on the bottom with substrate that was split up by sterile hands.
Substrate cased 2-3cm with 50% vermi & 50% flower-soil. The flower-soil I'm using is basically dirt with some minor nutrients. The casing mix was sterilized in the oven for an hour before casing procedure. Casing has been sitting for five days now. A web of mycelium is covering the top of the casing evenly.

Problem:
After two days I was curious as to the progress and lifted the plastic on top of the casingtray to take a whiff. The smell was as to be expected. Yesterday (day 4) I noticed some green tint in one of the corners. Presumably this corner is the one I lifted the plastic on.

Performed remedy(?):
Today the green tint was clearly noticable in the corner so I decided to perform surgery. I put the casingtray on the flipped-open oven-door. Sterilized hands and a spoon with H2O+H2O2 mix. The green tint was removed with the spoon and plastic was placed over the casingtray once more. Green tint was purely superficial and did not extend visibly into the casing layer. After surgery approx 1cm casing mix remains on top of the substrate at the area in question. Sprayed the area lightly with H20+H2O2 mix.

Reflections:
After placing new plastic on top of the tray and inspecting the casing thorougly I can still see very small spots of green tint where I performed the surgery 15 minutes ago. I presume that the green tint is a contamination I introduced when opening the wrap on the casingtray on day two.

Questions:
Should I operate again and be even more precise? Should I case with a different, less nutrient rich, soil next time or perhaps a pure vermiculite casing?
Are there any other measures that can be taken to save this case that's bound
for the terrarium in just a few days?

Grateful for any reply...  :laugh: 

--------------------
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black

Edited by laguendo (09/09/02 04:22 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinegoolag
Rx

Loc: Stable
Re: Contaminated casing layer. Measures. [Re: laguendo]
    #872935 - 09/09/02 06:09 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

the green 'tint' is the trichs. spores. Meaning its pretty much fucked. Green tends to bury it'self deep into the whole substrate before you notice shit ontop..usually. Performing 'sugery' isn't going to help very much..you'll end up spreading it more..its expendable..toss it if anything. The first time I ever seen green I didn't even notice a hint of green on the surface...then one day I seen some and when i dumped it out..it looked worse than i can put into words.

good luck.

--------------------
goolag

[url=http://shroomery.org/faq/]Check out
the Shroomery FAQ
[/url]

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation