Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Anonymous

Re: Cold Shocking
    #67214 - 12/01/99 11:47 AM (24 years, 4 months ago)

cold shock is done after birth. It is placed in a cold environment (like a refrigerator, temps in the 40's (fahrenheit)), for 24-48 hours. This is necessary for certain species (not cubensis), and is very beneficial for certain strains (like the ecuadors). It might not be good for the 'A' strain though, not sure on that.

It is mainly done with casings but could work well with cakes i guess. I'm not sure if done with casing if you let the mycelium recover first or not. But it is definitely done before pinning.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

#67216 - 12/01/99 01:31 PM (24 years, 4 months ago)

I have one pinning cake in a terrarium of 9. Would cold shocking hurt the pin? What else should I worry about? I have a pretty large terrarium, about 1.5ft by 2ft by 1.5ft deep. Are there any good methods? I was thinking of just putting some ice cubes in there, but would the evaporating ice make it too humid? That or I was going to buy a big bag of ice and lay it across the top. If anyone has any good ideas, let me know. Thanks!

------------------
I took some shrooms,
they were good to me
but then my weed
fell into the sea

Anonymous

#67217 - 12/01/99 04:38 PM (24 years, 4 months ago)

SO you cannot cold shock any strains of cubensis? I'm confused here.

Anonymous

#67218 - 12/02/99 03:25 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

im gonna case some EQ jars, i'd rather not have to cold shock them. How beneficial is it to equadors??????

------------------
"We are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it."

Anonymous

#67219 - 12/02/99 03:57 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

Huagi-the ice usually lower's humidity, so you need to watch that the humidity doesn't drop too much. I myself use ice bottles, I don't have to worry about where the water goes.
Pin-I think that cold shocking is very beneficial to Equadorians, as I only cold shock them, and never have had any problems getting pins, but those who I have heard who don't cold shock can wait a great while to get pins.

Also, I thought that cold shocking was good for cubensis, I even cold shocked the PF strain...
Oleander

------------------
Do you answer questions, or question answers?

Anonymous

#67220 - 12/03/99 02:11 AM (24 years, 3 months ago)

Hey Strike On Box:

Yes you can shock any of the cubensis strain. It appears that the benifit of doing so varies from substrain to substrain. For example PF seems to benifit greatly from it whereas the B+ doesn't. Equdors do but the Treasure Coast doesn't. When I say "doesn't" what I mean to convey is that it doesn't help to nearly the same degree that is indicated in the others. Regardless, I cold shock every cubensis strain I cultivate, for about 48 hours...dropping the temp from a high of between 79 to 84 degrees down to between 42 to 48 degrees.

------------------
Peace, Love & Light

[This message has been edited by Shroom Mage (edited December 03, 1999).]

Anonymous

#67221 - 12/02/99 10:04 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

What is the best way to coldshock?

------------------
Corporal Clegg had a wooden leg...he won it in the war...in 1944

He's never been the same!

Anonymous

#67222 - 12/03/99 11:34 AM (24 years, 3 months ago)

I just cold shock my jars before birthing and everything comes out great. I just harvested a 23 gram fresh EQ. Its the biggest shroom I have ever grown yet.

OfflineComa of Souls
kunt whore

Loc: Vancouver island, British...
    #67223 - 12/03/99 11:48 AM (24 years, 3 months ago)

so im growing some EQ's does it really matter if i cold shock them or not?

------------------
your gunna die in the end
anyways so what dus it really matter?

--------------------
im a weeeeezel look at me *weeze* *weeze*

Anonymous

#67224 - 12/03/99 11:50 AM (24 years, 3 months ago)

A very close friend found that cold shocking a strain like PF in a 50/50 casing produces literally thousands of pins on the first flush. Unfortunately, this appears to be a burden on the mycelial network and many will abort. (Note: You can take tweezers and pick these abhorts before they dissintegrate and they are awesome!) So they don't need it.

On the other hand, like was said above, Eq's will take a looooong time to pin if you don't do something to initiate it. Cold shocking works well, but my friend doesn't like using the fridge. Out in the garage is enough temperature drop and doesn't subject them to the possibility of contamination from the green, growing things in the fridge. (Hell, I can't identify most of the things in the fridge anyway)

A good reference is found under the Grow/Find section to your left, and then under Casing, Shroom Apprentices Tek...

Peace.

------------------
There is a fungus amongus - Dr. Scholl

Offlinesutec
addict
    #67225 - 12/03/99 01:07 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

According to The Mushroom Cultivator a drop in temperature of 10 degrees is all that is needed. So if you have been incubating your cakes at 86 F then a temperature drop to 76 F is all that is needed. Dropping the temp below this is not needed and may actually harm the mycelial network (slow growth to near zero), dropping by 10 degrees F is preferred as the mycelial network won't stop growing (and fighting contams) yet it provides the environmental clue to the mycelium that it's time to pin. If you stick with dropping the temp by 10 F then cold shocking should be a viable, beneficial method for all substrains of P. Cubensis.

A good way to cold shock is to get a container (Cool Whip works great) and fill it with ice. Place container in your terrarium and leave there for 24 - 48 hours (24 is plenty). This will drop the temp in the terrarium enough to accomplish the cold shock.

--------------------
Decriminalize:
NORML
DRCNet
MPP
ACLU Website

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract