Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
New guy...WTF is this?
    #6662359 -

Sup guys, I'm new here but have been a lurker on these forums for a while. I've recently decided to try my first grow and so far it's been going pretty well. I transfered the cakes in to the fruiting chamber exactly one week ago and I have lots of shrooms comming up. But I think I have a developing problem, as you can see in the pics I posted there is this developing blue/green stuff on the cakes. I'm pretty sure it some type of mold or bacteria. I need to know what this is, if this is harmful to the shrooms, and what I can do to kill it. I've heard that spraying the cakes with a 10% h2o2/h2o solution will kill it but that seems like it will also kill the mushrooms. So any advice you can pass along to a newb would be much appreciated. Thanks.






Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: New guy...WTF is this? [Re: funguschamber]
    #6662378 -

the bluing on the cake in the first and second picture looks like bruising. in the first picture, it almost looks like green mold at the base of the mushroom. as for the third picture, i dont know, there's probley some strange term for what's going on there. mutant?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: New guy...WTF is this? [Re: funguschamber]
    #6662399 -

Pic one and three look fine... Probably just bruised the cake. Pic two looks ugly... I can't really tell if it's just the picture or not, but you might want to take a long hard look at that one. The cake in pic two looks slimy and that dark spot is a bit menacing. Give it the Q-tip test. If something is wrong with it (or you're just feeling paranoid) bury it in your veggie garden or equivalent.


--------------------
---------
The information above has been fabricated based on conjecture and previous education; it is not in any way related to real events, people, places, or things.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: New guy...WTF is this? [Re: paul_muaddib]
    #6662421 -

Got fat asses? try more FAE. I'd keep a close eye on the discoloration also. It looks like it might be Trichoderma.


--------------------
Space for sale.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: New guy...WTF is this? [Re: paul_muaddib]
    #6662430 -

It looks to me like you didnt let the jar fully colonize.

I am not sure it that has anything to do with what is wrong, but

that isnt good. No offense if you did let them fully colonize.


--------------------
I must keep reminding myself of this.
I must keep reminding myself of this. I must keep reminding myself of this.
I must keep reminding myself of this.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: New guy...WTF is this? [Re: ATLean]
    #6662434 -

wow glad you have some reasonable advice, i was going to say spore deposites on aborts..... HAH!


--------------------
[img][url=http://www.shroomery.org/forums/files/07-13/511364480-allseeingeye.gif]

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: New guy...WTF is this? [Re: Ganzig]
    #6662519 -

Ganzig said:
It looks to me like you didnt let the jar fully colonize. 

I am not sure it that has anything to do with what is wrong, but

that isnt good.  No offense if you did let them fully colonize.



oh wow, i didn't even notice that.  :shocked:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: New guy...WTF is this? [Re: LayYouIn]
    #6662582 -

Your right I didn't let them fully colonize. When I went to buy vermiculite I couldnt find any. I finally found one place that had it in stock but it was fine grain, instead of the medium grain. So because of this the vermiculite flour mix was a bit too compact and dense. Those cakes colonized almost a full four weeks and the colonization had just about slowed to a stop. To be honest I was just going to toss them figuring the were jacked up but instead decided to see what they could do. Thanks for the advice.

So I should just keep an eye on them for now? I don't know when I could have bruised them, to be honest I don't believe I actually touched any of them with my hands. Anyways if anyone has any more input I'm all ears.

BTW what is FAE? And why would I need it? Thanks guys

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: New guy...WTF is this? [Re: funguschamber]
    #6662598 -

yes, keep an eye on them.

you could probley cut the uncolonized parts off. you might even want to harvest early, then cut the uncolonized parts off.

but one more question, is that bottom part pure vermiculite? the part that is used for a filter? or does it have BRF in it?

and the fine vermiculite will work.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: New guy...WTF is this? [Re: funguschamber]
    #6662607 -

funguschamber said:
BTW what is FAE? And why would I need it? Thanks guys



Fat Albino Europeans. why would you need them? why not?

no, it's Fresh Air Exchange. you should know why you need it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: New guy...WTF is this? [Re: LayYouIn]
    #6662751 -

Yea I've been doing air exchanged about twice a day & misting them about once a day. Thats why that cake looked slimy. Yea a portion of the bottom is pure vermiculite but part of it is where I stopped them early. I'll add an updated pic here in a bit w/ all the cakes so you might get a better idea of what I'm dealing with. Thanks for all the help!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: New guy...WTF is this? [Re: funguschamber]
    #6662859 -

green mold grows differently the the mycelium. It will be a different texture. Not so rhizomorphic (doesn't have the root like growth that mycelium has) You should be able to tell by looking at it if it's bruising, or if it's something growing on your cake


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: New guy...WTF is this? [Re: enesi]
    #6662988 -

I don't think that those cakes look healthy in any sense of the word:suicide: I would toss them,chock it up to a learning experience and prep more jars

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: New guy...WTF is this? [Re: Blutjager]
    #6663449 -

I agree. They look a little scary. Hope you can get some better verm.


--------------------
I must keep reminding myself of this.
I must keep reminding myself of this. I must keep reminding myself of this.
I must keep reminding myself of this.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: New guy...WTF is this? [Re: Ganzig]
    #6671127 -

dude. those cakes are WAYYYY dry
dunk and roll next time, add more moist perlite, fan more often


--------------------
please do not take everything i say here so personally. welcome to teh internets!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Vermiculite ILLEGAL in New York, WTF
( 1 2 3 all )
Pred929 7,788 49 05/20/07 11:02 AM
by RogerRabbit
* Shit happens and I caused it--uncolonized jar birthed and crumbled...help|COMPLETED10/5 harvest&pics *DELETED* Lakefingers 1,526 9 09/20/05 10:41 AM
by ChamberOfDoom
* Vermiculite substitute for making cakes? I need advice DrCubensis 1,128 16 08/16/06 12:29 PM
by DrCubensis
* not enough vermiculite... Diablos539 798 5 07/23/02 04:29 PM
by Diablos539
* Extra uncolonized substrate, can I add it to my casing trays? lurking 1,874 8 09/07/06 04:47 PM
by lurking
* After dunking lots of vermiculite was gone from the cake[Pic
( 1 2 all )
T0aD 2,247 23 02/04/03 02:32 AM
by JimBoB
* vermiculite jars stopped growing. Tylor 978 9 07/08/04 07:00 PM
by caimen
* fine grade vermiculite Nipp 2,192 5 10/08/02 01:11 PM
by Green_Velvet

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
886 topic views. 20 members, 51 guests and 105 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.027 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 14 queries.