Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleLakefingers

Loc: mumuland
Shit happens and I caused it--uncolonized jar birthed and crumbled...help|COMPLETED10/5 harvest&pics *DELETED*
    #4681465 - 09/19/05 12:51 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Post deleted by Lakefingers

Reason for deletion: deleted

Edited by Lakefingers (06/08/07 01:40 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineatomheartmother
MotivationalSpeaker

Re: Shit happens and I caused it--uncolonized jar birthed and crumbled...help [Re: Lakefingers]
    #4681488 - 09/19/05 01:00 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

you know how to make a casing?! of course you do, you were crushing... you should be fine, go ahead with plans and see what happens. I've done it once and was successful.

oh, other people here would tell you, advanced steps in casing is to crush it in a bag, let it sit in the dark for a day or so (heal time) then use it in the casing.

either way should work

--------------------
"When you die you're going to mushroom purgatory where the fungus will torment you for not taking better care of them. You will be eternally haunted by fungal nightmares."

Invisiblesrgtm1a
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Shit happens and I caused it--uncolonized jar birthed and crumbled...help [Re: Lakefingers]
    #4681489 - 09/19/05 01:00 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I'm assuming since you are crumbling the cake you are going to be casing.

The reason the middle is not fully colonized is probably because there was too much moisture in that jar when it was colonizing. This made the sub too thick and didn't allow for full colonization of the inside of the cake.

You never want to add uncolonized material to a casing. If you have some chunks of fully colonized material in that bag, remove that and add that to your casing. Throw the rest of the uncolonized material out.

Hope that helps.

GL TO YA!

InvisibleLakefingers

Re: Shit happens and I caused it--uncolonized jar birthed and crumbled...help [Re: atomheartmother]
    #4681495 - 09/19/05 01:02 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I think I'll just case it like you say and not mix with any other jars. Hopefully the myc will flip out and colonize the substrate like mad tonight...If it doesn't I'll be sad. This was one of my favorite jars :smile:
Thanks for the words..

Offlineatomheartmother
MotivationalSpeaker

#4681507 - 09/19/05 01:06 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

just combine what srgtm1a and i both say, let it sit overnight in a bag then case it. good luck and let us know what happens!

--------------------
"When you die you're going to mushroom purgatory where the fungus will torment you for not taking better care of them. You will be eternally haunted by fungal nightmares."

OfflineFunkyBudah
myco-wizard

Loc: Shakedown Street
Re: Shit happens and I caused it--uncolonized jar birthed and crumbled...help [Re: atomheartmother]
    #4682146 - 09/19/05 03:38 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Where did you get the idea to let it sit in the bag to heal?

Seems silly to me. Why would you do that?

-J

InvisibleLakefingers

Re: Shit happens and I caused it--uncolonized jar birthed and crumbled...help [Re: FunkyBudah]
    #4682919 - 09/19/05 07:01 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

InvisibleLakefingers

Re: Shit happens and I caused it--uncolonized jar birthed and crumbled...help [Re: srgtm1a]
    #4685221 - 09/20/05 05:59 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

srgtm1a said:

The reason the middle is not fully colonized is probably because there was too much moisture in that jar when it was colonizing. This made the sub too thick and didn't allow for full colonization of the inside of the cake.

You never want to add uncolonized material to a casing. If you have some chunks of fully colonized material in that bag, remove that and add that to your casing. Throw the rest of the uncolonized material out.

Hope that helps.

GL TO YA!

Yes, I was going to case them.

Do you think I should avoid using rice as a substrate in the future...perhaps until I'm better at this? Verm has worked well for me..

Invisiblesrgtm1a
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #4685478 - 09/20/05 10:43 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Lakefingers said:
Quote:

srgtm1a said:

Hope that helps.

GL TO YA!

Yes, I was going to case them.

Do you think I should avoid using rice as a substrate in the future...perhaps until I'm better at this? Verm has worked well for me..

well, rice is fine as a substrate, verm doesn't have nutes and isn't a sub, so that wouldn't really do well.

Next time, just make sure you measure out the amount of water in it better, and make sure you don't compress it when you are filling your jar. The more airy it is, the better your colonization will be.

Also, only use about 1cc of spore solution per jar. If you put much more than that, that can mess up the moisture content as well.

If you want to try something different as a sub, look into Rye.

The mixture I use for PF jars is:

1/4 cup BRF
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup verm

measure that out and you shouldn't have problems.

InvisibleLakefingers

Re: Shit happens and I caused it--uncolonized jar birthed and crumbled...help [Re: srgtm1a]
    #4685698 - 09/20/05 12:28 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

srgtm1a said:
well, rice is fine as a substrate, verm doesn't have nutes and isn't a sub, so that wouldn't really do well.

Next time, just make sure you measure out the amount of water in it better, and make sure you don't compress it when you are filling your jar.  The more airy it is, the better your colonization will be.

Also, only use about 1cc of spore solution per jar.  If you put much more than that, that can mess up the moisture content as well.

1/4 cup BRF
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup verm

I found that the jars with vermiculite substrate colonize much more quickly...and you use verm too I see.

I'll definitely measure the water better next time I do the rice, but here's what I did: I bought the fluffiest type of rice I know, cooked it, let it steam for 15 minutes, then I let it drain (though there was nothing to drain) in a collander for a while. Then I patted it down with paper lightly and made sure that there was tons of rooms in the jars. There was actually so much airspace between the rice that I was wondering if the mycelium would be able to reach to the next piece of rice :smile:. That's an exaggeration, but I didn't press down at all, I just let the rice fall in in spoonfuls.

As far as spore solution, I used 0.5 cc in that jar.

The mixture I used for that jar that was uncolonized was:

whole brown rice
1 tablespoon of ryeflour/jar
(water, that is, when the rice was cooked)

OfflineChamberOfDoom
Stranger

#4685745 - 09/20/05 12:41 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Lakefingers said:
Quote:

srgtm1a said:

Next time, just make sure you measure out the amount of water in it better, and make sure you don't compress it when you are filling your jar.  The more airy it is, the better your colonization will be.

Also, only use about 1cc of spore solution per jar.  If you put much more than that, that can mess up the moisture content as well.

1/4 cup BRF
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup verm

I found that the jars with vermiculite substrate colonize much more quickly...and you use verm too I see.

I'll definitely measure the water better next time I do the rice, but here's what I did: I bought the fluffiest type of rice I know, cooked it, let it steam for 15 minutes, then I let it drain (though there was nothing to drain) in a collander for a while. Then I patted it down with paper lightly and made sure that there was tons of rooms in the jars. There was actually so much airspace between the rice that I was wondering if the mycelium would be able to reach to the next piece of rice :smile:. That's an exaggeration, but I didn't press down at all, I just let the rice fall in in spoonfuls.

As far as spore solution, I used 0.5 cc in that jar.

The mixture I used for that jar that was uncolonized was:

whole brown rice
1 tablespoon of ryeflour/jar
(water, that is, when the rice was cooked)

IMO 15 minutes isn't enough cooking for brown rice especially. You needed to add vermaculite along with the brown rice stir it up before steaming it. 30 minutes of steam cooking needs to be applied for the rice to be even cooked. Also, the amount you used on the syringe isn't enough 0.5 cc is very low and it'll take a while for it colonize.

InvisibleLakefingers

Re: Shit happens and I caused it--uncolonized jar birthed and crumbled...help [Re: ChamberOfDoom]
    #4689977 - 09/21/05 01:47 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks for the advice :smile:
But I did cook the rice for about 40 minutes. I let it *steam* for 15 thereafter. It was steamed in order to take care of excess moisture (btw, this is something most westerners forget to do when they make rice and that is why rice is crap when made by most people...).

I thought it was quite debateable how much syringe fluid one should use. But the .5 cc recommendation I got form a PF-tek and I noticed to difference in colonization times than in the jars with 1cc. But I'm new to this so we'll see. yeah, more spores probably adds to quicker col. time..

Edited by Lakefingers (09/22/05 04:33 AM)

InvisibleLakefingers

#4693852 - 09/22/05 04:38 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

just combine what srgtm1a and i both say, let it sit overnight in a bag then case it. good luck and let us know what happens!

Well, I let the crumbled myc sit in a Ziplock bag for 24hrs in the incubation chamber. After that time not much colonization (of the uncolonized parts) had happened and I didn't want to throw the stuff out, I thought that would be a waste. I also thought it would be nice to give the myc a chance.. I cased the crumblings (verm - bottom, substrate - middle, 50/50 top) and am hoping the high humidity, darkness and high C02 will cause the myc to go nuts and colonize the uncolonized material and pop up through the casing layer. This casing is going to sit in quarantine during its life cycle. I'll get back in a week or so with the results, good, bad or just strange.

InvisibleLakefingers

#4745935 - 10/02/05 07:02 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

atomheartmother said:

This is how it's looking now:

InvisibleLakefingers

#4754794 - 10/04/05 04:34 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Latest news on the casing:

InvisibleLakefingers

#4759399 - 10/05/05 04:26 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Suddenly the casing got green mold. It was then photographed:

and then harvested (34.7 grams fresh).

Thanks for the opinions of those guys that answered my original post!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation