Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinezandorf
OTD residentvirginwizard-abstinenceain'teasy

casing question
    #660288 - 06/03/02 10:11 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

would it be ok to just use more brf as a casing layer instead of 50/50 or coco coir or any of that other stuff?

--------------------
We live in a world where lemonade is made with artificial flavours and furniture polish is made with all natural lemon.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinecbull
enthusiast
Re: casing question [Re: zandorf]
    #660295 - 06/03/02 10:20 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

no u dont want your casing layer to have nutrients if u use that you will end up wit a big cake

--------------------
FAPA - Member Since -5-21-2002

OfflineFanaTEK
Slave to theShroom

Loc: Midwest, US
    #660300 - 06/03/02 10:25 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

That probably wouldn't work very well. The idea of the casing layer is to use a non-nutritious (like wet vermiculite) or semi-nutriotious (like 50/50+) material that will hold water and protect the substrate below from contaminants. If you're looking for something simple, try just wet vermiculite. For something your mycelium will really love, use Shultz cactus potting soil. It's a little more succeptable to contamination, but my friend's B+ and Thai:Koh Samui both rip right through it.

FanaTEK

--------------------
Read the FAQ!
Read !

Offlinezandorf

Re: casing question [Re: FanaTEK]
    #660479 - 06/03/02 12:40 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

ohhh i understand now, i thought it was meant to be soemting for the fungus to feed on to produce more shrooms... hmm i heard the humidity should be lower for casings... so i was gonna use wet vermiculite in the bottom of the ziplock bag i'm putting the casing in. would that suffice? it's sort of a small variation on the poor man's terrarium. the disposable oven foil this will be set in the 2 gallon freezer bag and the wet verm will be in the bottom to humidify.

--------------------
We live in a world where lemonade is made with artificial flavours and furniture polish is made with all natural lemon.

OfflineFanaTEK
Slave to theShroom

Loc: Midwest, US
    #660564 - 06/03/02 01:31 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

"""
"i thought it was meant to be soemting for the fungus to feed on to produce more shrooms"
"""

Well, that's partially true - the mycelium uses large amounts of water to produce the mushroom fruits, and the casing is a good way to keep your crop hydrated. My friend has found (the hard way) that injecting water directly into a cake doesn't work too well.

You wiil want to make sure that your ziplock bag has lots of airflow - that's a relatively small amount of space for fruiting, and I imagine that CO2 could build up in there pretty fast. Instead of the vermiculite, use damp perlite to humidify - it wicks water up and gives it tons of surface area to evaporate from. Vermiculite might also work, but perlite seems to be the modern tek standard (and it's cheap as dirt, too!).

My friend uses a big sterilite container with perlite on the bottom for his terrarium. If you have room for that sort of thing, I would highly reccomend it. The containers cost around $3.50 at Wal-Mart. His whole terrarium setup cost him no more than $15, and that's including the disposable trays he uses for the casings.

You might consider mixing some vermiculite with Shultz cactus soil and using that as a casing. Shroomies love it.

Are you using a crumbled PF-style 1/2 pint cake for substrate, or are you using quarts?

FanaTEK

--------------------
Read the FAQ!
Read !

Offlinezandorf

Re: casing question [Re: FanaTEK]
    #660722 - 06/03/02 03:19 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

crumbled half pint. alright i see now. and the 2 gallon freezer bags will be plenty of space i already checked it out =) plus the air exchange is easy. you can just open it a little and squeeze all that co2 out =)

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation