Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Oyster Shell, Peat, Perlite, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineNorthernsoul
Your Reality

Loc: Inner Eye
Casing Question #387
    #578012 - 03/13/02 06:33 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Can I just use just plain peat for a top casing layer? Any drawbacks or substatial loss of production? What if I mixed some oyster shell in with it?
Be great to know if It works or not, Im outta cash, Im so broke I cant afford a 4$ bag of vermiculite :frown: .....let me know, thanks! 

--------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------

When it comes
I'll know, I know
Just take my clothes and leave
And I'll be gone

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineNorthernsoul
Your Reality

Loc: Inner Eye
Re: Casing Question #387 [Re: Northernsoul]
    #578085 - 03/13/02 08:21 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

No Vermiculite...what do u think?

--------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------

When it comes
I'll know, I know
Just take my clothes and leave
And I'll be gone

OfflinedDigitalPimp
Loc: PA
    #578205 - 03/13/02 10:44 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

damn yo, i always complain about how i dont have any money, so i gotta buy the cheap case of beer or somethin. but thats fucking broke as shit. about the casing, i havent wandered into the casing business yet, but from a logical standpoint doesnt the pins need a place to stick up outta, like a loose layer of verm or other small grained substance. isint that moss like big chunks, maybe if you broke it up really well, but please get someone elses advice first, since you kno more than i do, remember you helped me out alot earlier about heating sources and shit. dammit someone who knows something answer his questions please, he is a good guy and i feel all bad, i wish i could help more.

OfflinePapa_Bear
M-M GOOD!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Colorado
    #578208 - 03/13/02 10:49 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Can't use straight Peat it is too acidic (Thanks Anno), you need to add a buffer.. Chalk, Lime. Oyster shell alone is not enough.....straight Vermic. works good...Baby adds some Shultz jiffy mix from Wally World....peat, lime, perlite (uses a simular ingredient).
In her last caseing she used: 1st a layer of moist Vermic. .... then substrate..Birdseed, or Rye, Grasseed, PF cake...whatever you are using...another layer of moist Vermic. with a little moist Shultz on top....(to moisten the layers she uses a spray bottle of H2O2 and water) she has used this with good results with this mix. Also there was no need to pasturize or sterilize the casing soil...Worked great...1st flush 23 Grams wet. From a single "cake."

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Oyster Shell, Peat, Perlite, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation