Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Complete transfer from one HD to another...
    #6523476 -

I've got a new 250gig HD that I got for xmas that I'd like to use in place of my current primary HD that has my OS installed on it. How precisely is the least painful way to transfer everything from the current HD to the new one, and would it work just fine once I started booting from the new HD?

I'm assuming I could use a program like Norton Ghost, but I've never been arsed to do a full backup or transfer like this before, so I'm not certain of anything.


--------------------

I find your lack of faith disturbing

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Complete transfer from one HD to another... [Re: Konnrade]
    #6523488 -

Sounds like a headache possibly..

Why not just install a fresh copy on the hard drive, then set up the old one as a slave, and pull off the files you want directly onto the new drive ?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Complete transfer from one HD to another... [Re: Boom]
    #6523530 -

I could do that... but I really hate the overly long process of installing XP and getting all the drivers installed. It takes me a couple very long hours. Then, I have to reinstall everything anyhow because you can't just move installation folders to a different location and have them keep working.

I was hoping a total transfer would be possible. It would save me something along the lines of 4 hours of time spent settng things up, installing programs, etc.


--------------------

I find your lack of faith disturbing

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Complete transfer from one HD to another... [Re: Konnrade]
    #6523619 -

Yeah I'm not sure... do you just want to use the extra storage space?  Or is this drive much faster and whatnot?  You could use the new one as a straight up extra drive for storage...

But I'll stop trying to discourage you from doing this :lol:  It sounds interesting...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Complete transfer from one HD to another... [Re: Konnrade]
    #6523635 -

I got a new 500gb drive after Christmas, and used Ghost V10,
to copy the OS, from the old drive, to it.
Seems to be stable.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Complete transfer from one HD to another... [Re: Konnrade]
    #6523639 -

Sounds like a job for the Ultimate Boot CD.

It has four different hard drive cloning utilities on it, currently.

Just install the new drive hardware-wise, don't worry about Windows recognizing it yet. Boot to the BIOS and make sure the BIOS recognizes the new drive, then boot the CD and use one of the cloning utilities. Clone Maxx is the fastest one, but it doesn't work on all systems.


--------------------
Supercollider? I just met her!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Complete transfer from one HD to another... [Re: Konnrade]
    #6523652 -

It's actually not too terribly difficult. You'll need a program like Norton Ghost, Partition Magic or Acronis True Image. You just hook up both hard drives and boot to the program disk, and it will allow you to transfer the data and resize the partition and all that. Actually a lot of hard drives come with free utilities to do this, so if you got any software with the drive maybe check that first. But yeah this is a pretty common problem and the software has become really polished. You get a Windows-like GUI and everything.

Edit: Ultimate Boot CD looks like an even better suggestion, unless you really want the ease of use which comes with a commercial application.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Complete transfer from one HD to another... [Re: Ythan]
    #6528705 -

My system is now booting from my newly installed 250 gig drive and all is perfectly well.

I used Acronis True Image, and made a boot disk with it that automatically formatted the new drive, partitioned it, and then cloned my old primary drive to the new drive... then reformatted and repartitioned the old one as a logical drive. The whole process only took about an hour, too.

I'm very content. I got rid of my ancient 20.4 gig drive that was slow as molasses and am now using my fairly new 80 gig drive as the storage disk. Everything worked perfectly :grin:


--------------------

I find your lack of faith disturbing

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Complete transfer from one HD to another... [Re: Konnrade]
    #6530862 -

There does seem to be one hitch.

Diskkeeper isn't able to defrag my new drive. It starts defragmenting and then just says it's done 3 seconds later without having moved anything around at all.

I'll try a reinstall and see if it works afterwards, but it's rather weird that it isn't working.


--------------------

I find your lack of faith disturbing

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Complete transfer from one HD to another... [Re: Konnrade]
    #6530874 -

Which version of Diskeeper are you using? The newest ones don't necessarily defrag every file, they only work on files where you'll see an appreciable performance benefit. You can change this under settings somewhere, I forget exactly. I switched to PerfectDisk because Folding@home was interfering with Diskeeper's 'InvisiTasking'.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Complete transfer from one HD to another... [Re: Ythan]
    #6530977 -

I've got Diskkeeper 10 Professional Premier, which I beleive is the most advanced version they sell.

When I analyze, it tells me that I need to defrag, and then it does nothing when I run a defrag. I'm going to run a boot-time Avast! scan, then do a spyware scan, then reinstall diskkeeper and see if any of that solves my problem.


--------------------

I find your lack of faith disturbing

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Complete transfer from one HD to another... [Re: Konnrade]
    #6531045 -

Very strange, if it says you need a defrag then it should, like, defrag hehe. Maybe also try a 'chkdsk c: /F' and reboot?

P.S. You're actually one version behind, the latest version is 11. I have it for download here, of course I'm assuming you have a valid license and just lost your install CD. :wink:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Complete transfer from one HD to another... *DELETED* [Re: Konnrade]
    #6531059 -

Post deleted by blinkidiot

Reason for deletion: Im sorry



--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Complete transfer from one HD to another... [Re: blink]
    #6531076 -

36 hours for 80GB?? Wow it must be copying each bit 50 times just to be sure. :grin:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* reinstalling windows 98 CptnGarden 1,423 7 05/16/05 02:01 AM
by Viveka
* Installing XP and want to save emails Mojo_Risin 834 5 04/22/04 01:20 PM
by Seuss
* I wanna Format my Laptop's HD funkymonk 1,144 10 11/07/03 09:38 AM
by PNutButta
* Folding@home....transferring WU from one client to another? Randolph_Carter 772 2 08/25/04 06:15 PM
by RuNE
* Need help reinstalling windows HagbardCeline 2,188 13 11/25/03 09:13 AM
by Seuss
* Third-party defrag utility for windows XP? Konnrade 852 7 10/27/06 02:07 PM
by Vvellum
* Need FAST HD encryption advice earlyriser 2,812 8 06/06/01 07:07 AM
by Anno
* defrag= huh?
( 1 2 all )
highoman 3,508 27 05/06/03 04:30 AM
by Fliquid

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: trendal, automan, Northerner
933 topic views. 0 members, 0 guests and 1 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.026 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 16 queries.