Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Terrarium question
    #649762 -

I have a few weeks during the summer in which my parents will be out of town and I'll be trying my hand at mushroom cultivation. They will probably return around the time when the mushrooms are in their fruiting cycle. The terrarium will be in my closet and I was just wondering if there was a terrarium design that doesn't require as much maintenance as the dual chamber terrarium in the PF TEK for the sake of discretion. Has anyone had any luck with just using perlite to regulate humidity? What about gas exchange...do I still need to fan out the CO2 etc.? I was planning on getting a big tupperware container and using that with the suggested 1/2 inch of perlite. Any feedback?

--Aeolus

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Terrarium question [Re: Aeolus1369]
    #649766 -

if your parents dont condone this i say dont do it but thats just my opinion

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Terrarium question [Re: SmashedMe]
    #649770 -

duly noted, but if all goes well...they will be none the wiser. If I don't find a low maintenance alternative, I can finish up at a friend's house (though I don't imagine cakes travel all too well)

--Aeolus

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Terrarium question [Re: Aeolus1369]
    #649779 -

I beg to differ, I've taken cakes from my friends basement over to a house about 30 miles away, to an old farm. I think we even stopped to get gas and eat. That casing worked out fine for me!! LOL! Yeah, that whole day was a blast.


--------------------
"My mind is full of dreams...
My eyes filled with fantasies
I hear what I see
And see what I hear
My senses are not dulled, I simply see clear"

The Green Pages
"My heart is broke, but I have some glue, help me inhale, and mend it with you." - R.I.P. KDB

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Terrarium question [Re: Aeolus1369]
    #649869 -

You probably won't be happy with any kind of tupperware container, unless it's pretty large. My friend uses 2" of damp perlite, and that seems to keep the humidity pretty high. For a container he uses an opaque 73qt Sterilite bin with a hole cut in the lid and a piece of plexiglas glued over it. On the side, about 3" from the bottom of the bin, he has cut a 2"x2" hole and glued a filter disc over it. A whole bag of perlite, 1/3 gallon of water, and two glugs of H2O2. Keep in a closet with a gro-light above on a vaguely 12/12 cycle. Fan 2-3 times daily, and mushrooms stay pretty happy.
The 2x2 filtered hole in a side allows CO2 to flow out of the box, since it tends to be heavier than the air. Add a small air pump (with appropriate air filtration) to make the setup more automated.

FanaTEK


--------------------
Read the FAQ!
Read !

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Terrarium question [Re: FanaTEK]
    #651683 -

If you add a aquarium air pump for 5$ a filter on the bottom, and inline filter, and a 12 inch bubble stone to put under the perlite you don't even need to bother fanning. Leave 'em in your closet and come back in a couple weeks!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Terrarium question [Re: Aeolus1369]
    #652429 -

look up the chronic tek very low maintenance no misting no fanning no perlite


--------------------


Everything I write is a total work of fiction

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Terrarium question [Re: bigslick]
    #652878 -

I searched for the chronic tek and I found a reference to it, but the hyperlink seems to be broken...http://www.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/5/7618.html?#POST25386

can anyone post it here or e-mail it to me?

--Aeolus

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Terrarium question [Re: Aeolus1369]
    #652918 -

I agree with the parents thing as stated above, but if there's really no stopping you, for a stealth operation I'd probably go fer the mycobags. Seem easy enough to keep hidden away etc. though cant say I've actually used them myself. As for transporting cakes or casing; this should pose no problem. Added if you don't wanna go the mycobag or terrerium route there's always invitro.


--------------------
I saw you today on the number twelve bus,
you were going my way

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Terrarium question [Re: Aeolus1369]
    #653072 -

i also was forced to grow mushrooms im my closet a long time ago. I used the two chamber pf tek terrainuim with a humidifier and a timer(perilite on the bottom). I timed the humidifier to come on for 30 minutes every 2 hours. It's virtually mantinace free except you have to drain the water build up about every 2-3 days. (use a turkey baster, or put a spiket on the bottom) Its really easy...and quiet for the stealth opp...worked for me! stayed stealth for two whole batches! but do me carefull!!!!

-Simple_Green


--------------------
im a fungi.....

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Terrarium question [Re: Aeolus1369]
    #653482 -

Personally I just use a simple rubbermade tub (obviously one with a lid:) and a couple inches of damp perlite at the bottom of it... Fan once or twice a day and thats all there is to it

Also, make sure you get a clear lid at least... my first one was dark blue, with the lid being completely non-transparent and didnt let enough light in there. (or at least it seemed that way... still worked out, just had the mushrooms all growing up the sides looking for the light


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Terrarium question [Re: Aeolus1369]
    #653938 -

click here to read the Chronic Tek.
Its a very simple method, and it'll alllow you to grow in very small places.


--------------------
"My mind is full of dreams...
My eyes filled with fantasies
I hear what I see
And see what I hear
My senses are not dulled, I simply see clear"

The Green Pages
"My heart is broke, but I have some glue, help me inhale, and mend it with you." - R.I.P. KDB

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Terrarium Question Statini 1,056 7 05/31/02 10:46 AM
by Professer_Puke
* casing and terrarium questions Smoorhs 1,742 7 08/23/01 09:58 PM
by TheShroomster
* Terrarium Question Frothy 734 1 06/06/01 05:39 PM
by puscle
* Casing/Terrarium Question. MrMojoRisen 1,277 3 02/13/02 08:28 PM
by MrMojoRisen
* Terrarium Question York 657 2 09/26/01 10:54 PM
by Larrythescaryrex
* Terrarium Questions XiC 839 5 02/10/02 07:28 PM
by XiC
* incubation/terrarium questions Chibboleth 983 3 10/20/02 05:17 AM
by On_the_Down-Low
* Small terrarium with 2 PF cakes & PERLITE MrNobody 1,540 2 02/22/02 01:31 AM
by mystic1

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
1,739 topic views. 15 members, 173 guests and 124 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.021 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 14 queries.