Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleinskiM
Cortinariologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Morels.
    #6353000 - 12/10/06 12:46 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Today I decided to go check a wild Morel patch I discovered in May this year here in New Zealand's native bush!
These were the original specimens I found, a bit old for consumption but a surprising and interesting find anyway.

I'd been checking the spot for a couple of weeks hoping to find some fresher specimens and today found two pins about 1.5cm long, unfortunately I didn't have my camera :mad2:
I will get habitat shots and closups of the specimens when I go back to harvest, I can't wait to taste them :grin:
Does anyone have any ideas how long Morchella sp take to mature and at what stage of growth should they be harvested?
Is cloning a fresh specimen a good way to start cultivation attempts or would it be better to start multispore cultures?
inski.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
Re: Morels. [Re: inski]
    #6353035 - 12/10/06 01:02 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Ah, so this is the red Morel my buddy has been telling me about. He also says there's a green and an albino as well. I actually thought he was doing to many magic mushrooms on his ventures of collecting Morel's. Heh! Nice stuff there inski.
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/files/06-20/813273847-DSCF0056.jpg

I'd think that you should try both inoculations with this species to get a grip of what works the best and what gets you further along with your attempts. I'd personally clone a specimen and would certainly take spore prints for further work. Nice stuff. I have an isolate going with a dry specimen I got from W.V. that's been incubating for months. I'm not going to even attempt an indoor attempt with the project until the sclerotia is nice and thick.

Invisiblezee_werp
a fractalcreature
 User Gallery

Loc: Aotearoa
Re: Morels. [Re: Hotnuts]
    #6353066 - 12/10/06 01:26 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Good work. Lookin' forward to seeing the pics. This is real late for them to be popping up.

InvisibleinskiM
Cortinariologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #6353068 - 12/10/06 01:26 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Hmm, I guess it is a bit red.
I can imagine an albino variation but green :eek: are these reports from NZ?
Btw why did you put a link to the second image in my post?
I think I'll try cloning and will also make some prints!
I'm hoping a few more specimens form at this patch, as I said there were only two pins but maybe there are more forming :grin:
Thanks for the advice Hotnuts, I'm interested in seeing how your Morel cultivation attempts go, keep us informed!
inski.

--------------------

InvisibleinskiM
Cortinariologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Morels. [Re: zee_werp]
    #6353099 - 12/10/06 01:56 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Hey zee_werp, good to hear from you :smile:
I thought morels fruited in spring, one of my old books says they grow in the pumice soils of the volcanic plateau in NZ's north island.
It's also possible that these specimens have a mycorrhizal relationship with Cordyline australis (NZ Cabbage tree) the patch is situated under a big old dying one!
I'm hoping to get some good microscope images of asci, ascospores and other microscopic features soon.
inski :cool:

--------------------

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

#6353100 - 12/10/06 01:58 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

The reports are from West Virginia, USA. Now I completely believe him. Not that I didn't, but seeing is believing you know? Yes, he states there is a green Morel as well, along with an albino. I guess he should know, as he and his family have been picking them in West Virginia for around 25 years now. His family for Lord knows how long. Very interesting specimen you've got there. Thanks for sharing and good luck with your work.

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

#6353105 - 12/10/06 02:02 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Oh, I added the link in my post to show the specimen I was referring to. I guess it's rather obvious huh and there was no need for it? lol.

InvisibleinskiM
Cortinariologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #6353119 - 12/10/06 02:33 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Oh, I misunderstood, haha :grin:
The two I found today are growing about 3cm from the one in that image above from May this year.
Do you have any idea how long the fruiting cycle might last?
inski.

--------------------

InvisibleUbermensch
Hunter gatherer
Male

Loc: Pac Northwest
    #6353125 - 12/10/06 02:44 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

I've observed some in my area go from around a few cm in height to over 15 cm in three days. I can imagine that there are many factors that affect growth rate though, including species. Just don't expect them to get big over night, it may take a week.

--------------------
Once the sin against God was the greatest sin; but God has died, and those sinners died with him. To sin against the earth is now the most dreadful sin, and to esteem the entrails of the unknowable higher than the meaning of the earth!

InvisibleinskiM
Cortinariologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Morels. [Re: Ubermensch]
    #6353137 - 12/10/06 03:04 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Interesting, there's been a fair amount of rain and it's been reasonably warm lately, I'm hoping they get to a good size!
I'll go back in three days for a look.
Thanks for the advice Ubermensch:thumbup:
inski.

--------------------

Invisiblezee_werp
a fractalcreature
 User Gallery

Loc: Aotearoa
    #6353153 - 12/10/06 03:13 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Yea I know that they are a spring mushroom hence why they are late...Its summer now. Most morel pickings in NZ are Oct-Nov. I guess it's been a cold start to summer at least here in the south island.

InvisibleinskiM
Cortinariologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Morels. [Re: zee_werp]
    #6353176 - 12/10/06 03:35 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Ah, I see what you mean, officially it's summer but yes it has been a cold start, we had hail here in the north island yesterday :rolleyes:
I checked once a week during November with no luck and thought maybe they wouldn't fruit there again but was nicely surprised with my finds today!
Hopefully I can get some good cultures from multispore inoculations and cloning.

--------------------

Invisibleshobimono
Why?
    #6353216 - 12/10/06 04:25 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Hotnuts said:
Ah, so this is the red Morel my buddy has been telling me about. He also says there's a green and an albino as well. I actually thought he was doing to many magic mushrooms on his ventures of collecting Morel's. Heh! Nice stuff there inski.
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/files/06-20/813273847-DSCF0056.jpg

I'd think that you should try both inoculations with this species to get a grip of what works the best and what gets you further along with your attempts. I'd personally clone a specimen and would certainly take spore prints for further work. Nice stuff. I have an isolate going with a dry specimen I got from W.V. that's been incubating for months. I'm not going to even attempt an indoor attempt with the project until the sclerotia is nice and thick.

The "red" is a bacteria that grows throughout old morels. I wouldn't eat "red" morels, they taste funky and can make you sick.

Out west "green" morels are called pickles. They are late season black morels and they really do look green. The green hue really shows off when the sun hits them.

The "albino" morels I've seen are all young black morels that just haven't changed colors yet. Some blonde/grey morels are very light, but I wouldn't call them albino.

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Re: Morels. [Re: shobimono]
    #6353401 - 12/10/06 08:15 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Oh, ok. Makes perfect sense. I always figured the red and green Morel's (if there was such a thing) were probably old Morel's eaten up with some kind of either mold or bacteria. Thanks.

InvisibleUbermensch
Hunter gatherer
Male

#6354060 - 12/10/06 01:08 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

I agree with shobimono. I have found yellow morels that were over the hill and turning a rosy red color. In the case of blacks, I'm not sure if they get infected with the same or similar pathogen but they can turn a really dark purple. Additionally, when the yellows turn reddish they also seem to get a bit mushy while the purple tinted blacks remain firm. This is why I'm unsure if the blacks I'm finding are actually turning purple because of a bacteria or are actually a sub species. Either way I am guilty of eating them.

I have yet to see the "pickles" that grow around here. A very reputable source has told me about them though.

As for albino morels, what shobi said is what I've seen as well. The young blacks are really light. For some reason the pics aren't working in posts right now but you can go to my spring 2006 gallery to see this picture enlarged.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/files/06-49/546897999-thumb_009.jpg">

I've also found some high elevation blonds that are pretty white. I suppose it is possible for true genetically albino morels to exist, just like albino cubes, but I've never heard or seen anything about them.

--------------------
Once the sin against God was the greatest sin; but God has died, and those sinners died with him. To sin against the earth is now the most dreadful sin, and to esteem the entrails of the unknowable higher than the meaning of the earth!

Edited by Ubermensch (12/10/06 01:09 PM)

InvisibleinskiM
Cortinariologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #6354074 - 12/10/06 01:11 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks for the info shobimono :smile:
I should be able to harvest these specimens while they are still nice and fresh!
Would you say that the ones from my original find are Morchella esculenta or another species?
The other images i've seen don't seem to be as pointed as these ones!
Are black morels considered better than the yellow ones?

--------------------

InvisibleUbermensch
Hunter gatherer
Male

#6354120 - 12/10/06 01:30 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Inski: If you are thinking of cloning your finds remember to pick the whole mushroom so that the internal cavity doesn't get exposed. You don't need to dig them up, just make a cut a little bit below the base of the stem. Then when you get into a sterile environment you can open them up and remove some clean tissue. You may already know this, but I just wanted to give you a heads up just in case.

Your finds more closely resemble M. deliciosa than M. esculenta. The difference being the pointed caps.

--------------------

Invisibleshobimono
Why?
    #6354581 - 12/10/06 03:48 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

inski said:
Thanks for the info shobimono :smile:
I should be able to harvest these specimens while they are still nice and fresh!
Would you say that the ones from my original find are Morchella esculenta or another species?
The other images i've seen don't seem to be as pointed as these ones!
Are black morels considered better than the yellow ones?

There are quite a variety of morels. Here is a good page that shows different kinds.

http://www.mushroomexpert.com/mdcp/results_legend.html

Personally, I like the "greys" we find that grow late season after a forest fire. I think they have a great taste and they are super thick and meaty. I think black morels might have a stronger taste, but they lack the substance that a big heavy grey morel provides.

OfflineAcidHorse
No Name No Slogan
Male User Gallery

#6358719 - 12/11/06 06:23 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

He should also use urea and dextrose as nutrients for his inoculations, I swear by it. And inoculate in a mostly wood bark substrate after getting the dishes going. Then from there let it suck nutrients from a grain layer.

--------------------
If you wanna ride, don't ride the white horse, if you wanna ride, ride the white pony

Edited by AcidHorse (12/11/06 06:26 PM)

InvisibleUbermensch
Hunter gatherer
Male

Re: Morels. [Re: AcidHorse]
    #6361213 - 12/12/06 12:02 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

What type of wood bark though?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds