Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
 User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Agar Anomalies - Black Morels and Oysters
    #4237091 - 05/30/05 05:04 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Took clones from some wild mushrooms I found a while back so I'd have some local cultures to play around with :wink:.  just thought I'd share some pics and observations, the pics were all taken through glass, so they aren't the best, but you can kind of see things.

this is a clone from a black morel, it's behaving much different than the other one I have, which acts as described in GG&MM.  the mycelium is very fine, but dense, and it stays close to the agar surface, it almost just looks like the agar is cloudy until you see it on the glass.  I was about to throw it out cause I though it was a yeast or bacteria or something at first.  it wont form any microsclerotia on the agar surface but is finally starting to at the interface between agar and the glass.  I probably wont grow it out, the other clone seems faster and more vigorous but I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced this...

I think this oyster clone is trying to pin when the mycelium is barely the size of a quarter or so :shocked:.  had to mess with the brightness and contrast to make them visible, but you can kind of make them out.  Anyone else seen this before?  there appears to be a little bacterial contamination opposite the supposed pins which I think may be to blame, I'll let it grow out a little more and see if I can get a clean isolate going. 

my other morel culture, this one seems better, lots of microsclerotia, and they form faster than the other clone.  these form on the agar and not on the glass though :confused:, complete opposite of the other culture, it's weird.  forgot to take a pic before I cut out some wedges.  this one also turns the agar a dark brown, the other does not seem to.

after a little over 24 hours on birdseed, this shit is FAST :laugh:.  you can see the dark piece of agar in the center with a thistle seed stuck to it and mycelium fanning out an inch or so.  I inoculated some rye grass seed as well, but the jars are all smeared up and I can't get a good pic.

the source of my morel clones, might not have been these exact specimens, but they were from the same general area.  they are black morels, despite the light color :wink:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Re: Agar Anomalies - Black Morels and Oysters [Re: spores]
    #4237505 - 05/30/05 07:28 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I tried cloning black morels this spring, I am in the process of isolating it from contams (making progress). I noticed that it is forming micro-sclerotia at the very edges of the agar. I have one that I have cloned years ago that formed micro-sclerotia everywhere on the agar.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms