Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Psychosis from cannabis?
    #6317872 -

Hello all,

I've been experiencing headaches, 'clicking' sounds when I swallow, tiredness, slowed pupil reactions (to light), and difficulty in concerntration at my work, so of course, I went to see my doctor (I recently moved to the Netherlands, so this was my first time seeing this particular doctor).

Anyways, she asked me whether I smoked, and so of course I told her the truth; that I sometimes smoke cannabis, have never been a heavy user, and recently my frequency has decreased significantly... (actually, I haven't smoked in over two months now).

Well, she seemed very quick to blame the weed without any further questions or examination, telling me that these are common long-term effects for some people who are sensitive to it (I'll admit that I am very sensitive to weed).

So anyways, she said that I'm developing psychosis, and to be honest, I'm quite shocked to hear that. She was asking me all sorts of questions about whether I "see things bigger than they really are" and "hear messages in songs on the radio directed at me", etc. (I've never experienced hearing voices, hallucinations or anything like that, but OTOH I'll admit that my personality isn't exactly 'normal' either, but then again, it never has been, it's just who I am).

Anyways, I'm just not sure... I've never heard of anyone experiencing symptoms like this from cannabis, and the definitions of psychosis that I've read about just now (Wikipedia, Google, etc.) don't seem to correlate well to my current mental state either.

Of course, I won't be using cannabis any more (but then, I had no intention of doing so anyway), but I was wondering...

Has anyone else experienced long-term effects like this from cannabis? I'm just not convinced. It just seems to me that she was very quick to place blame on "drug abuse" rather than doing any real work and finding what's really wrong with me. After all, most of my symptoms are physical, not mental.

Any thoughts on this?

Cheers

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Psychosis from cannabis? [Re: TurricaN]
    #6318422 -

i smoke at least 4 times a week, and when i havent smoked (and while im smoking) if i move my eyes from side to it makes a weird clicking/zinging noise... It goes away if i stop use for a couple of days but, i dunno if that's what you were meaning by clicking. I don't think it's anything to worry about. Doesn't sound like psychosis at all, doc is just trying to get you to quit smoking.


--------------------
I pity the fool who don't enjoy a good cubie :mushroom2: :mrt: :mushroom2:
I pity the fool who don't enjoy a good van eyck  :mrt:

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Cattle Prod of Loving Kindness

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Psychosis from cannabis? [Re: whatsthestorymg]
    #6318458 -

It doesn't happen when I move my eyes... Usually it happens when I swallow and occasionally when I make a sudden head movement... I think that it's possibly related to my throat, which is pretty red and quite dry at the moment (but the clicking has been happening for a few months, it wasn't too annoying by itself).

Anyways, she wants me to go back once a week until Christmas "to make sure the psychosis is not getting any worse".

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Psychosis from cannabis? [Re: TurricaN]
    #6318537 -

If weed use caused anything that bad in even 1/100th of 1% of users, there would be thousands of psychos all over the place... The 2 things may be related in some coincidental way, but I seriously doubt it's the 'cause'.

If you were smoking weed dipped in crazy chemicals... maybe. But straight, non-altered weed should not be causing any psychosis.

YOU may be loony... but you'd probably be that way without ever smoking weed. They would just blame alcohol or something else you did.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Psychosis from cannabis? [Re: RoosterCogburn]
    #6318739 -

The rate of schizophrenia is about 1%. Considered across the U.S. population of approx 300 million one could argue that there are "psychos all over the place".

There is evidence suggesting an association between marijuana use and psychosis, however, cause-and-effect is still a matter of debate.


--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Psychosis from cannabis? [Re: TurricaN]
    #6319156 -

i've definitely had some psychotic episodes when high. but it all goes away when i come down.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Psychosis from cannabis? [Re: TurricaN]
    #6319563 -

Quote:
Has anyone else experienced long-term effects like this from cannabis? I'm just not convinced. It just seems to me that she was very quick to place blame on "drug abuse" rather than doing any real work and finding what's really wrong with me. After all, most of my symptoms are physical, not mental.



Some need to find something to blame, when they can not understand what is causing it...
She seem to be jumping at the first "blame" she could find..
...maybe she is afraid to tell you that you are creating you own life? As that would imply that she do too?

I'd say.. It might have acted as a trigger. But only you cause you to be....

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Psychosis from cannabis? [Re: Gomp]
    #6321017 -

The problem is, I don't even think that there is any psychosis, irregardless of whether it may be caused or triggered by Cannabis. I'm not denying that cannabis may have caused the actual problems that I have experienced, but I just cannot fathom how someone would conclude that I have developed psychosis from the symptoms that I've described.

I'll admit that I do tend to be one of those people who probably thinks too much, though given my interests, I'd say that's fairly normal for me. It's not like I'm unable to separate reality from my internal thoughts or anything like that.

It was just like, as soon as I said the word Cannabis, then as far as she was concerned, this must have caused me to start developing psychosis and the psychosis was the cause of all my problems.

Edited by TurricaN (11/30/06 10:28 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Psychosis from cannabis? [Re: TurricaN]
    #6321125 -

How did you get so lucky to move to Holland?


--------------------
God says dance with your heart
And shake free of you desire

Where theres a will theres always a way
When you get confused listen to the music play


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Psychosis from cannabis? [Re: TurricaN]
    #6321181 -

TurricaN said:
I'm not denying that cannabis may have caused the actual problems that I have experienced, but I just cannot fathom how someone would conclude that I have developed psychosis from the symptoms that I've described.




I don't understand your doctor's conclusion either, unless she thinks you're imagining the symptoms you've described. She must not believe what you are telling her if she thinks you have psychosis, but for all you know she's the one with psychosis and is imagining that you have it.

I'd get a different doctor, or a second opinion at least.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Psychosis from cannabis? [Re: TurricaN]
    #6321196 -

First of all, if you have any doubt as to the legitimacy of your doctor's opinion, it is time to find yourself a second opinion from another doctor. That being said, I do tend to agree that your symptoms are not necessarily indicative of psychosis. You may have a vitamin deficiency which could cause both the headaches and lethargy you seem to experience.

As for the "clicking" when you swallow, I (and I believe most everyone) experience(s) a clicking in their ears when swallowing or yawning, that I believe is related to the stabilization of pressure in our sinus through the connection to our nasal cavity. You might experience this when changing altitude rapidly as in an airplane or even in a car driving up or down a mountain; but I can also hear this clicking if I pay attention right now, swallowing while sitting still at my computer chair.

In short, there is nothing wrong with going back to your doc for a checkup, but if you do not agree with the diagnosis (as it seems you have reason enough to be speculative), go find yourself another professional opinion.


--------------------

--------------------
┼ ··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙·· ┼
...╬π╥ ╥π╬...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Psychosis from cannabis? [Re: TurricaN]
    #6321281 -

I'm going to go once more, and if she continues to bullshit me, I'll be getting a second opinion.

CerebralFlower said:
How did you get so lucky to move to Holland?



Pure luck really...  I had to work placement as part of my uni course...  A combination of things lead me to doing it in Holland: an error in the vacancy description, my last-minute application frenzy to any job available, the company putting out the vacancy late, getting an interviewer who I shared a lot of interest with, etc.

Anyways, the company let me go back to work permanently after I finished uni. :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Psychosis from cannabis? [Re: TurricaN]
    #6321310 -

Cannabis raises risk of psychosis

People don't like hearing it though.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Psychosis from cannabis? [Re: Revelation]
    #6321352 -

I hate articles with quotes like this:

Quote:
It is time to ensure that this information is in the public domain and, most importantly, available to teachers who are health educators in schools.

Dinah Morley



What about all the positive information about weed? Why isn't that in schools?

After using weed daily for a few years, and having 20+ friends do the same, I have formed my own opinions. And all this negative bullshit about weed is no more relevant than "Reefer Madness".

It's not totally healthy... but it's FAR, FAR FAR from the devil weed "they" claim it to be. It almost seems like certain organizations release this negative stuff directly after some positive breakthrough re: weed... I use Google News Alerts for "marijuana" and read 10+ articles a day.

When is this world going to get it's priorities straight?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Psychosis from cannabis? [Re: TurricaN]
    #6321636 -

There's no doubt in my mind that weed isn't healthy, and in fact, I believe that weed does me more harm than psilocybin, but I want to add something that may throw some more perspective over my situation (I didn't mention this to the doctor):

I've used weed for less than 2 years (started when I was 23), and have smoked at very most, 12 grams over that period. If I'm psychotic, I hate to imagine what's going through the mind's of the people, some of whom are my friends, who are smoking that much every month or so. :p

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Psychosis from cannabis? [Re: TurricaN]
    #6326505 -

I've had some personal experience with marijuana-induced psychosis, so I simply don't use it anymore. I still use other psychotropic substances though. So my personal opinion is that 'Cannabis raises risk of psychosis' study linked above is a valid one.

Cannabis is not as harmless as it seems, although the majority of population don't seem to have any negative after-effects from its use.

I would lay of it for a (long) while if I were you.


--------------------

"Who are you who live in all these many forms? You're death that captures all. You too are the source of all that's gonna be born. You're glory, mercy, peace, truth. You give calm a spirit, understanding, courage, the contented heart."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Psychosis from cannabis? [Re: TurricaN]
    #6326509 -

why dont you come down to nimbin next year and say that :tongue:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Psychosis from cannabis? [Re: takk]
    #6326678 -

Just read the first paragraph and chart from this website. http://www.schizophrenia.com/prevention/streetdrugs.html

The correlation between cannabis and schizophrenia is undeniable. Dogmatic defenders of cannabis always argue that schizophrenics self medicate with marijuana and that it causes no psychosis.

Do you feel secure and empowered when stoned on cannabis? I sure don't. I feel helpless and crazy. If I put myself into this mindset every day I am going to attach to that outlook. And I did. I haven't smoked now for about half a year (except once right before bed) and am convinced that my sanity is unshakeable.

And I'm sure everyone doesn't feel these negative attributes inherent in cannabis, but if so, experience is going to affect you.

TurricaN, when I was afraid that I was going crazy I said oh well, even if I am I bet I can convince everyone that I'm perfectly normal. If you can play anyone's game and claim your own sanity you're ok. I highly recommend reading Prometheus Rising for some theory and exercises on how to do this.

As for your health symptoms I would get a few different opinions from different groups/authorities. Go to an ADHD forum and ask what they think it is. Research different treatments for it. Then find some "experts" on chronic fatigue and ask them what it is. Research different treatments.

Of course it sounds like something should be done about your condition, but start with self-empowerment.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Psychosis from cannabis? [Re: takk]
    #6326679 -

Just read the first paragraph and chart from this website. http://www.schizophrenia.com/prevention/streetdrugs.html

The correlation between cannabis and schizophrenia is undeniable. Dogmatic defenders of cannabis always argue that schizophrenics self medicate with marijuana and that it causes no psychosis.

Do you feel secure and empowered when stoned on cannabis? I sure don't. I feel helpless and crazy. If I put myself into this mindset every day I am going to attach to that outlook. And I did. I haven't smoked now for about half a year (except once right before bed) and am convinced that my sanity is unshakeable.

And I'm sure everyone doesn't feel these negative attributes inherent in cannabis, but if so, experience is going to affect you.

TurricaN, when I was afraid that I was going crazy I said oh well, even if I am I bet I can convince everyone that I'm perfectly normal. If you can play anyone's game and claim your own sanity you're ok. I highly recommend reading Prometheus Rising for some theory and exercises on how to do this.

As for your health symptoms I would get a few different opinions from different groups/authorities. Go to an ADHD forum and ask what they think it is. Research different treatments for it. Then find some "experts" on chronic fatigue and ask them what it is. Research different treatments.

Of course it sounds like something should be done about your condition, but start with self-empowerment.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Psychosis from cannabis? [Re: TurricaN]
    #6326939 -

Personally, I'd go to see another doctor, but I would vehemently deny cannabis use to that one (you've been clean for 2 months, so a test should come back negative anyway).

With that off the table, the other doctor will generate some alternative hypothesis, which you can then run by the first doctor, if you've found that one to be generally good for other purposes.

Think of it this way: if the first doctor's right, and it is the cannabis, as long as you stay clean you won't get worse (according to her), but if she's wrong, another problem could be festering, and in order to catch that you need someone who is thinking outside of the "cannabis box" so to speak.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Pot Triggers Psychotic Symptoms Life_of_a_Cell 1,928 11 05/04/07 08:03 AM
by Liquid_Dimension
* Heavy cannabis use by teens is more dangerous than alcohol justin340 3,062 11 05/08/07 01:45 PM
by StickyWater
* Psychedelic induced psychosis
( 1 2 all )
MOTH 6,470 31 07/24/12 11:18 AM
by Almond Flour
* Just In: MARIJUANA USE linked to PSYCHOSIS
( 1 2 3 all )
AsanteM 6,412 40 01/26/12 09:16 PM
by Luueschen
* Wondering if I am a little bit schizophrenic...? Syle 3,047 16 09/29/06 04:09 PM
by The_Hobbit
* Does schizophrenia exist? Quake3 1,416 2 11/12/07 11:37 AM
by e3k
* schizophrenia?
( 1 2 all )
mycotic 4,012 27 10/29/05 07:15 PM
by chinacat72
* schizophrenics? ground 1,360 5 04/26/04 10:55 AM
by gnrm23

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: CherryBom, Asante, Rose, mndfreeze, yogabunny, feevers, CookieCrumbs, Northerner
5,358 topic views. 0 members, 0 guests and 3 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.036 seconds spending 0.012 seconds on 19 queries.