Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Myyco.com Shop: Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Recipes for oatmeal?
    #6267087 -

Using either old-fashioned or 1-minute rolled oats.

I searched and found very little on this and figured that after 2 years maybe, collectively, we have some new recipes. I got one I'm going to try soon, but I would like as many options as possible.

Currently I'm using Quaker's 1-minute oats, but will be buying a container of old-fashioned the next time I go grocery shopping


--------------------
channel your inner Larry David

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Recipes for oatmeal? [Re: demiu5]
    #6267191 -

I've been experimenting with different fresh, dried & frozen fruits, and these are my favorite combos so far:

Orange-Mango or Orange-cranberry Oatmeal

Substitute OJ for 1/2 of the water you boil, and add dried mango or dried cranberries to the cold water prior to heating

Add oats & cook as usual

Spice with ground cloves and cinnamon, sweeten as desired

Apple Pie Oatmeal

Boil raisins and chopped apple with water, add oats and cook as usual.

Season with nutmeg & cinnamon, sweeten with brown sugar & add 1 TB. butter.

The key to really delicious oatmeal is to avoid overcooking (it gets very glue-like :tongue:).  Boiling about 3 minutes, then cooking covered over low heat for about 10 minutes, is just right for old-fashioned rolled oats.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Recipes for oatmeal? [Re: demiu5]
    #6267195 -

If you mean for breakfast, sure, here's a couple:

-Use half water, and half orange juice
-Add maple syrup, and milk
-Add honey

I know, they're pretty simple, but oatmeal is a pretty simple food. If you mean more for things like oatmeal cookies, I can't help ya without being at my parents place since thats where my cookbook is :smile:


--------------------


You can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug, especially when its waving a razor sharp hunting knife in your eye.
Hunter S. Thompson

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Recipes for oatmeal? [Re: demiu5]
    #6267485 -

You really can't make oatmeal thats better than someone elses, because the directions are basically all the same. Its all about the toppings, thats what makes a bowl of oatmeal great.

I eat mine plain, otherwise I might have some recipes.

Also screw that instant oats, quick oats, old-fashioned rolled oats. Irish steel cut oats are in my opinion superior.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Recipes for oatmeal? [Re: daussaulit]
    #6267551 -

Aren't those the oats they use for brewing oatmeal beers/stouts?


--------------------


You can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug, especially when its waving a razor sharp hunting knife in your eye.
Hunter S. Thompson

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Recipes for oatmeal? [Re: wiggles]
    #6269167 -

no, the oats used in beer making is just your old-fashioned rolled oats, aka flaked oats.

Irish steel cut oats are quick oats, before they pre-cook, roll, and flake them. Definitely more flavorful.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Recipes for oatmeal? [Re: Veritas]
    #6269579 -

where would I accquire Irish Steel cut oats?

Sounds good so far you guys, I'll have to get some of these items and try them out.



Veritas: How long do you boil the raisins and apples together?


--------------------
channel your inner Larry David

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Recipes for oatmeal? [Re: demiu5]
    #6269596 -

Quaker just started offering it to regular supermarket chains. You could go to anyplace like Whole Foods, World Market, Trader Joe's, Wild Oats, health food stores and buy it there. There is a chance that your neighborhood supermarket has started carrying it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Recipes for oatmeal? [Re: daussaulit]
    #6269710 -

I'll check the health food store sometime soon, then try the other grocery store in town

thanks


--------------------
channel your inner Larry David

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Recipes for oatmeal? [Re: demiu5]
    #6269941 -

demius said:
How long do you boil the raisins and apples together?



I put them in when I put the water on to boil, so they cook while the water heats up to boiling, and then finish cooking along with the oats.

BTW, if you add the cinnamon along with the fruit, your house will smell like apple pie baking.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Recipes for oatmeal? [Re: Veritas]
    #6270013 -

mmmm, if I remember, I'll try that in the morning.

I've been using milk to boil them in, but I'll try water in the morning

thanks


--------------------
channel your inner Larry David

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Recipes for oatmeal? [Re: demiu5]
    #6270118 -

Oatmeal is fairly bland, so cooking it with fruit or fruit juice is a great way to add flavor. Experiment with the fruits & juices you prefer!

Here's another combo:

Pina Colada Oatmeal

substitute pineapple juice for 1/2 the water, cook as usual.

Top cooked oatmeal with crushed pineapple & coconut milk.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Recipes for oatmeal? [Re: Veritas]
    #6270429 -

I say u make some granola.

melt equal parts of maple syrup and brown sugar together, pour it over your oats w/ some shredded coconut and your favorite kind of nut you're in the mood for. dump on to a sheet pan and bake that in a 325 degree oven for 45ish mins until it starts to turn golden. Key word is golden, I wouldn't take it all the way to brown... browned granola tastes funny.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Recipes for oatmeal? [Re: Shroomgobbler]
    #6270455 -

I take it that it still works without the coconut?

Granola has also been something I've been wanting to try to make, fuck having high fructose corn syrup and artificial stuff in my food



thanks :thumbup:


--------------------
channel your inner Larry David

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Recipes for oatmeal? [Re: demiu5]
    #6272528 -

This morning my roommate and I put a whole bottle of this blueberry flavored beer we had in with water. The beer sort of tastes like a blueberry pancake, actually it went really well. The stuff is delicious with some maple syrup and brown sugar.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Recipes for oatmeal? [Re: demiu5]
    #6272686 -

2
2

Edited by Galvie_Flu (05/01/11 09:48 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Recipes for oatmeal? [Re: demiu5]
    #6273515 -

Once I had steel cut oats, I never went back to that bird cage liner called Quaker. Much more hearty and toasty oaty flavor, true oatmeal as it used to be. Definitely worth the extra couple of minutes of preparation. Usually found in most well-stocked supermarkets, definitely in stores like Whole Foods, Wegmans, Balduccis, Dean and Deluca, etc.

My favorite oatmeal topping?

Seard foie gras and maple syrup that's been slightly smoked using a stove top smoker, with the oats given a little bit of nice whole butter right at the end then some fleur de sel on top. I also do another variation where I sprinkle the seard foie with fine demerera sugar and caramlize it with a torch. Truly a unique combination, perhaps my very own delicious discovery. I should trademark it, hmmm??


--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Recipes for oatmeal? [Re: soochi]
    #6273653 -

Sounds like a weird combo. I would love to try all of these things, but I'm on a diet, so I eat mine plain. It sucks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Recipes for oatmeal? [Re: demiu5]
    #6299116 -

well, I've been experimenting some for the last litle bit.

I really like banana oatmeal (unsure of what type of nut to add to it)

I am currently trying blueberry oatmeal, but it's lacking something; it's not too powerful tasting (and I used a good amount of blueberries). At least my oatmeal is purple!

I've never used too many spices, but what does nutmeg do to the flavor of oatmeal? I'm trying to branch out here, some.

I'm going to try strawberry oatmeal probably tomorrow morning


Still haven't found any steel cut


--------------------
channel your inner Larry David

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Recipes for oatmeal? [Re: demiu5]
    #6299210 -

Blueberry oatmeal is better with vanilla extract and nutmeg.

Banana oatmeal is great with chopped pecans or walnuts, but go easy because nuts add calories (fat).

I've also made the apple pie oatmeal with the apples caramelized in butter & added as a topper. Just cook your apple slices in a little butter & brown sugar, until they are tender & browned. Add the apples and spices to the top of your oatmeal, and enjoy! (Light on the butter if you're watching saturated fat and/or caloric intake.)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]

Myyco.com Shop: Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* hey, post your vegetarian recipes here.....
( 1 2 all )
imachavel 5,811 26 12/18/08 05:07 PM
by SheerTerror
* Alright You Hippies and Green Eaters, Gimmie Some Recipes
( 1 2 all )
daimyo 6,636 35 09/10/06 07:41 PM
by Shroomism
* Oatmeal Recipes? LeViTY 1,113 5 08/20/04 02:00 AM
by sporgasm
* Oatmeal minesstudent 1,066 4 03/12/07 05:22 PM
by daussaulit
* Perfect recipe for the beginner mead maker zorbman 9,307 18 11/19/10 09:04 PM
by Yacub
* Oatmeal pie LeftyBurnz 1,034 13 09/12/08 07:42 PM
by LeftyBurnz
* Anyone know of a really good meatloaf recipe? UncleLuke 1,441 7 03/20/07 04:50 AM
by WhiteTrash
* Anyone have enchilada sauce recipe? mikeytwice 1,573 7 10/04/05 02:47 PM
by lovingwench

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: trendal, geokills, feevers
5,736 topic views. 0 members, 1 guests and 1 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.03 seconds spending 0.004 seconds on 16 queries.