Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Microscope, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinesplangtastic
tha thrilla frommanilla
Rye Berry trouble
    #595926 - 04/02/02 12:06 AM (15 years, 27 days ago)

Hi, I got my DB kit (bah to all of those who hate kits, its about the only method I could do, and I'm glad to pay for it) and injected the rye berries with my B+ and I misread and injected through the filter patch.

Before I did this, I sterilized the needle then the filter patch, then injected aout 5cc's, then covered it with scotch tape, so my question is, is anything going to happen. Right now it is in day 11 and there is a little bit of white stuff forming and it kinds smells (bad), is that mycellia or is that some sort of stinky white mold?

What is the filter patch for?

Are spore syringes supposed to have kinda chunky matter in them?

-Thanks, Will

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblephrozendata
Carpal Tunnel

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Rye Berry trouble [Re: splangtastic]
    #595938 - 04/02/02 12:19 AM (15 years, 27 days ago)

The FP is for air exchange.

Any bad smell is probably a contamination.

The only "white" mold is cobweb mold and it is distintly GREY.

If there's both mycelium and a smell growing then you most likely have a bacteria contamination.

--------------------
"There's only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving and that's your own self. So you have to begin there, not
outside, not on other people" - Aldous Huxley

Invisiblephrozendata
Carpal Tunnel

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Rye Berry trouble [Re: phrozendata]
    #595940 - 04/02/02 12:20 AM (15 years, 27 days ago)

Oh, the specks are probably clumps of spores.

--------------------
"There's only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving and that's your own self. So you have to begin there, not
outside, not on other people" - Aldous Huxley

Offlinesplangtastic
tha thrilla frommanilla
Re: Rye Berry trouble [Re: phrozendata]
    #595945 - 04/02/02 12:25 AM (15 years, 27 days ago)

well crap, where are some good places to get other rye berries, DB is nice ... but slow as christmas.

OfflinepsilocybinjunkieM
relaxin
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #595987 - 04/02/02 01:00 AM (15 years, 27 days ago)

dimitri sells rye berries.
ala dr.bluethumbs.
Someone should be able to give you a link.

InvisibleMr. G
journeyman
Loc: Treasure Coast
    #595988 - 04/02/02 01:00 AM (15 years, 27 days ago)

The filter patch is for air exchange. I don't think you hurt anything if it is the real B+, or really any strain, if there are no big holes, or you coverd it quickly. I know people who use the FMF tape seal and inject through a piece of plastic shipping tape. they have a piece of masking tape already stuck to one side of the jar. They spray the liquid against the jar wall and make a circle, then dump a ccc in the middle. With pratice you can do a really nice heavy, quick germinating and growing jar of any size with 3cc's of spore solution. that is why we sell and use 12cc syringes overfilled. I want people to be able to inoculate heavily 4 jars. This will easily, very easily do a gallon. The syringes we make are pretty heavy on spores and you can see them, but they will settle to one sideif you lay it down and disperse if you shake, the water should also be stained or colored. If it is clear water with chunks, there is no doubt it is mycelium water. i feel it is a pretty safe bet anyway. most vendors use the weeist amount of spores they can possible get by with. selling mycelium water is done for several reasons. If the vendor or customer is having trouble getting sterile or pasturized enough it will give the mushroom a better chance of dominating the culture. If you don't want you strain to get out and you isolate a sporeless culture, then they always have to come back to you unless they can figure out how to make it them selves, very, very easy. If the culture is made of one pure strain it will self destruct in a few generations anyway. it will grow slower, fruit less, fall apart, thus the vast price difference at vendors like Fungi Perfecti on there culture the further from the master or the higher the "g' number the worse the strain and the less the price. Kind of like finding an Azurescen or some other good mushroom and making a clone instead of a spore print, i would make both or i would be stupid. You then only reproduce from the spores taken from the fruiting from the spore print. You lose far less gentic material. Spores from clones are worse and worse and worse each generation. they lose so much of the gene pool each time you lower it by taking a pure strain. The spores it produces are even more limited, and the cycle gets worse. It is ok to pure strain for fruit, it is much more consistant, but never, ever for spores. I imagine the filter pad sealed itself if not, put a band aid over it, no kidding a real band aid. That will keep the bad stuff out and allow air exchange. Air is very important.
Sounds like you recieved a mycelium syringe. What kind of chunks were they? If they were purple/black and looked like spores or little particles that disperse or sediment when you shake them, that would be a Pan. spores. You can tell they are spores though by looking. If it looks like purple/brown "sediment" then it is a Psilocybe. If it is really chunks, it is mycelium water that has been an attempt to decieve on someone's part. I ordered JLF's strain of Tampensis. Some of the Tampensis cultures have gotten to the point where they produce little or very few if any spores. The "jlf" syringe had what looked like black flakes in the syringe. The water was clear and the pieces were floating there, kind of square looking ans to uniform. I looked at the solution and was suspicious, sure enough looking under the microscope it was mycelium water, and I don't know what the sterile inert stuff was. I have a feeling it was some kind of mushroom gill that had been dried and sterilzed. That would have been hard unless you poisoned or chemically sterized the gills it would be hard and a pain so i don't know what they were. It was some kind of inert flake and not spores at all. I didn't care, but the *man* might. I doubt Mark at JLF even knew. He seems to have had some legal problmes and doesn't seem like himself. He gets most of his stuff from one or two growers and mistakes are made. I feel sure JLF bought it in good faith, the vendor supplying them.......well......Mr.G

--------------------
"Mr.G with a rose, in and out of the garden goes, country gharden in the wind and the rain whereever he goes the people all complain!"
"The Grateful Dead" Thanks boys, I miss you Jerry!
Did it hurt that much?

Offlinesplangtastic
tha thrilla frommanilla
Re: Rye Berry trouble [Re: Mr. G]
    #596231 - 04/02/02 09:10 AM (15 years, 27 days ago)

Yea some of the chunks are purpleish black, and they really are chunks, there is one that is prolly 2mm by 2mm by .5 mm ... kinda big and it doesnt want to break apart

So do you think that there is no chance of anything good forming?
Is it by any chance from the spores that I got or what?

Anonymous

#596347 - 04/02/02 11:30 AM (15 years, 27 days ago)

You should be able to get some rye grain from your local health food store. It is very cheap. cheaper than brown rice flour.

Offlinesplangtastic
tha thrilla frommanilla
Re: Rye Berry trouble [Re: ]
    #596805 - 04/02/02 06:45 PM (15 years, 26 days ago)

What all has to be done to sterilize rye berries before they can be used?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Microscope, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation