Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Magic Flight Launch Box, Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vaporizer

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinenevets
Stranger
Humidifier (cool mist) - Do I need Drip Sheid?
    #595097 - 04/01/02 02:35 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Howdy folks,

I'm considering hooking up a Cool-mist humidifier ($2 at Thrift Store!) to my terrariums.

In reading all the Teks, I'm not clear on the need for a drip shield (i.e. the dual-chambered terrarium) when using the humidifier. Assuming the humidifier is on a timer and the input is only letting moist air into the terrarium (using a long enough tube or manifold to keep condensation on the humidifier side of the input hose), is the drip shield needed?

Pro - using the drip shield would keep any stray condensation (like from the lid) from dropping on my cakes.

Con - the drip shield cuts down on usable vertical space in the terrarium on one side.

Thoughts?

--------------------
- nevets

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

Re: Humidifier (cool mist) - Do I need Drip Sheid? [Re: nevets]
    #595124 - 04/01/02 03:46 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Edited by Anonymous (04/01/02 03:47 AM)

OfflineODhaze
outdoorhaze

Loc: in the haze
    #595294 - 04/01/02 09:32 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I read somewhere that someone applied a thin coat of vasoline to the inside of the terrarium to eliminate condensation. Havn't tried it myself yet, but it sounds solid. That would eliminate the need for a drip sheild i think.

OutDoorHaze

--------------------
I believe i will go out to the seashore, let the waves wash my mind. Gunna open up my head now just to see what i can find...

Invisibletriptor

Loc: Confussion
Re: Humidifier (cool mist) - Do I need Drip Sheid? [Re: ODhaze]
    #595328 - 04/01/02 10:27 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

What the @#$% Where do you find a humidifier for 2$

--------------------
Zippity freakin doo dah

Offlinenevets
Stranger
Re: Humidifier (cool mist) - Do I need Drip Sheid? [Re: triptor]
    #595360 - 04/01/02 11:13 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Re: the $2 humidifier:

One of my local thrift stores (like Goodwill or Salvation Army stores) had about 6 different humidifiers and vaporizers.

Sure... the $2 cool-mist humidifier I found needed a really good cleaning, but it's certainly worth it.

Check your thrift stores!

--------------------
- nevets

Invisibletriptor

Loc: Confussion
    #595370 - 04/01/02 11:28 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Excellent

--------------------
Zippity freakin doo dah

Offlinesixpac440
Psycho Dad
Loc: Michigan
    #595401 - 04/01/02 12:34 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Run the hose from the cool mist to the bottom of the tank, 2" away or so. The tank will get the humidity as well as it will push the Co2 off the bottom and out the vent.
Dont forget to put a drip cup with a little peroxide in it under the hose.

--------------------
Peace
Six

Offlinenevets
Stranger
Re: Humidifier (cool mist) - Do I need Drip Sheid? [Re: sixpac440]
    #595679 - 04/01/02 05:54 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Rock!

Thanks sixpac440 for the picture.

Do you have a hole or anything in the bottom for CO2 and water to escape?

I'm thinking of putting a hole in the bottom for the water to drain out and perhaps the CO2 as well.

--------------------
- nevets

Offlinesixpac440
Psycho Dad
Loc: Michigan
    #596036 - 04/02/02 02:11 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

nevets:

> Do you have a hole or anything in the bottom for CO2 and water to escape? <

No, I put some peroxide in the bottom of the tank so when the water runs down the side it mixes with the peroxide and renders it harmless. You do need to clean the tank out every month or so. As far as the Co2 goes the airflow from the cool mist pushes the Co2 off the bottom and out a vent at the top on the opposite end of the hood in the picture. The cool mist runs 24/7.

>I'm thinking of putting a hole in the bottom for the water to drain out and perhaps the CO2 as well. <

Good idea, if you have a way to put a hole in the glass without breaking it let me know and I will do it to. I bet someone knows how!

--------------------
Peace
Six

OfflineestaesPACO
re-initiated

Loc: neither here nor there
    #596037 - 04/02/02 02:12 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

That's fucking ironic/coincidental..... I found a steam humidifier (2.1 gal) for $2 today @ a local thrift store........ It is a Duracraft Steam Vaporizer (brand-spanking new, too)  The box and manual came with it, too....(and it still has the original price tag!!.....I saved 20 bucks!!)  We're just good like that, Nevets :wink:.

Any-fucking-who:
I was wondering how I would go about hooking it up to a sterilite 56 Qt. tub......
actually between two 56 qt tubs (being the two on bottom in the picture below) and a 45 qt. tub (on top of the tub on the right)..... I'm not very innovative when it comes to jerry-rigging two (or more) normally incompatible items.........My results are usually pretty sloppy.  Would a 2.1 gal vaporizer be efficient enough for this...
Would I also need to incorporate a layer of perlite to my setup for additional humidity.
My concern is that the water will begin to condense in the hoses before the molecularized water ever reaches the chamber......
Any input would be appreciated!!
(I also have a cool-mist humidifier, but I decided it would be a pain in the arse to attempt rigging it up)

Here's a pic of my humidifiers....which one would be best??  (cool Mist on left, vaporizer on right)

And here is my setup thus far...... Hey, You are the first ones to see it besides my girlfriend- Feel privelidged, dammit.

Yeah, Yeah.... It's a little fucking sloppy..... But I'm working to perfect it all this week, so you can save your laughs.........allright.......allright........................

Thanx in advance,
Paco 

--------------------
"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher regard those who think alike than those who think differently ." - Nietzsche

Offlinenevets
Stranger
Re: Humidifier (cool mist) - Do I need Drip Sheid? [Re: estaesPACO]
    #596071 - 04/02/02 02:54 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Paco..

from what I've read so far... you want to use the Cool-Mist humidifier. The Steam vaporizer will have hot steam coming out of it - which could damage your cakes/casings. I think most of the TEKs say not to use steam since it's hot and too much heat damages our little friends.

As far as hooking it all up - check some of the TEKs - or look at the image someone posted above - basically you run some hose from the humidifier to the Terrarium - condensation buildup in the hose is OK as long as it drains back into the humidifier and not the terrarium - and it does not block the hose.

I'm gonna try my setup with a digital timer to run the humidifier a few times a day for about a minute each time (since the cool mist will saturate the air in the enclosed terrarium space quickly). My big concern now is trying to figure out how best to get rid of CO2.

--------------------
- nevets

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Magic Flight Launch Box, Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vaporizer

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation