Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSporaticus
Stranger

Loc: Kentucky
Casing a contaminated cake!!
    #575680 - 03/11/02 09:04 AM (22 years, 13 days ago)

Here is something I don't understand... I started a PF cake, birthed it, and it got contaminated.. I noticed a few small bluish-green specks all over the place.. So I considered the cake toast.. But, being new at this and curious, instead of just throwing the cake away, I played.. I broke it up to see what it looked like inside... And when I was done I threw the pieces in a tupperware container to later throw away... Much to my dismay, when I returned to it a few hours later, the chunks were regrowing mycellium rapidly.. More rapidly than I have experienced on any of my cakes yet... So for the hell off it I threw a layer of vermiculite on top and have been misting it for 24 hours.. WOW!! what growth! The signs of contams are gone!! can this be? Can the mycellium sorta drown the contam out, and make it disappear? Do you think I will get fruiting?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineandrewcubensis

Re: Casing a contaminated cake!! [Re: Sporaticus]
    #575684 - 03/11/02 09:10 AM (22 years, 13 days ago)

Its quite possible that the blue specks were just bruising of the cake.i personally havent seen this but ive read a lot about it in the contam. forum. I wouldnt be too worried if ur gettn results my freind :laugh:   

OfflineSporaticus
Stranger

Re: Casing a contaminated cake!! [Re: andrewcubensis]
    #575691 - 03/11/02 09:20 AM (22 years, 13 days ago)

Yes.. I too thought that this could just be bruising.. But the tint was more of a green than a blue.. And the specs seemed odd.. But their is definitly no signs of it anymore..

I have never fruited a cake.. And have never seen rewards.. Definitly never cased anything.. Basically that is what I have done, was case the broken up cake.. Bad thing is, since I was planning on throwing the cake away, the tupperware dish was not sterilized, and even has a SMALL chunk of food stuck on the lid.. But man.. I have never seen growth like this before.. Its changing by the hour..

I am excited.. Sorry.. And thanks for your help.

Offlinetomldp
Shroomeur

Loc: Europe
    #575859 - 03/11/02 12:34 PM (22 years, 13 days ago)

Don't eat shrooms from this casing ! The growth is normal, your substrate has plenty of oxygen, room and confort in this tupperware. Try to make shrooms from this casing, as if it was a good one. You'll learn a lot of things. You can even try to make prints (I don't know if they'll be contaminated). But be careful, there is a mold, and you don't know if it is dangerous !

--------------------
:laugh: Visit and support the Free Spore Ring Europe :laugh:

OfflineSporaticus
Stranger

Re: Casing a contaminated cake!! [Re: tomldp]
    #575905 - 03/11/02 01:39 PM (22 years, 13 days ago)

So let me try and understand.. Because I am very,very new... If I have a cake or even casing that is contaminated with X-Contam, and I get fruits they can be harmful?

What really sucks is the cakes, which are PF style apparently stalled... I had them in jars for 1 month 1 week when they finally colonized completly.. So I birthed them.. I had 2 cakes.. One I saw this contam on and ended up casing it.. Just for fun... But the other one remains in the terrarium.. Not pinning after 2 weeks... But this other cake that I cased, due to the moisture I guess, has exploded... I am almost thinking it would be a good idea to case the other one, or am I getting ahead of myself...

This hobby is so fun, and informative..

Offlinewatchthemusic
Stranger
    #575947 - 03/11/02 02:41 PM (22 years, 13 days ago)

man i am in the same situation as you... fully colonized cakes, birthed them, no pins or any growth for two weeks, then boom! contams. i didn't think colonized mycelium was really susceptible to contams... shit i think i even have cobweb mold growing out of a fully colonized cake.

sporaticus, have you seen any brownish black spots on your cakes? i've got some, and no one i've asked knows what the hell they are. it's make me feel better if someone else had em.

--------------------
"The chief aim of all investigations of the external world should be to discover the rational order and harmony which has been imposed on it by God and which He revealed to us in the language of mathematics" -Johannes Kepler

Offlinetomldp
Shroomeur

Loc: Europe
Re: Casing a contaminated cake!! [Re: watchthemusic]
    #576021 - 03/11/02 04:20 PM (22 years, 13 days ago)

I had some fully colonised cakes that wouldn't start to pin. I really don't know why, cause the other ones were perfect. It was just like overlay : dead mycelium. I can't remember what I've done with them, but you could try to case your cake. There is nothing to lose !
And yes, the fruits could be dangerous if your casing is contaminated.

--------------------
:laugh: Visit and support the Free Spore Ring Europe :laugh:

Offlineiam_craig
laid back son ofa bitch
Loc: the state running away fr...
Re: Casing a contaminated cake!! [Re: tomldp]
    #576176 - 03/11/02 07:30 PM (22 years, 13 days ago)

i am a bit of a newbie as well. but i have done a lot of reading on this hobby, and i think that when your cake isn't even pinning, its because the conditions arn't that great.
i suggest you try dunking, look it up in the forums. all it is is putting your cake in sterile water for about 12 - 24 hours and then rebirth the cake.
some people do it with fat free milk and said the the cake explodes with pins!
it could also be the temperature, make sure the temp is right for your strain of mushroom

Offlinejonnyshaggs420
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mid-West
Re: Casing a contaminated cake!! [Re: watchthemusic]
    #576293 - 03/11/02 09:56 PM (22 years, 13 days ago)

Some strains take longer then others to pin, some are just picky as to the conditions in the terrarium. To avoid contamination on cakes you must keep air exchanges up, this will reduce the speed at which contamination sets in..........higher humidity levels induce pinning..........If it still doesn't pin after 2 or more weeks and shows no signs of contamination then you might consider casing it as a last ditch effort (the casing may contam due to the spores that can collect on the surface of a cake) or dunk in hopes that that will fuel a flush.

Many contams also produce toxins during their growing....some of these toxins can be absorbed by the mycelium of your shrooms and wicked into your mushrooms, this can make the mushrooms unsafe to eat.....Not all toxins can be absorbed into the mushrooms though, but without knowing what molds or bacteria you have its not a bright idea to ingest fruits from a contamed cake or casing.

--------------------
Vote Jonnyshaggs in the next election for GOD...Its the responsible choice

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale