Home | Community | Message Board

MycologyNow.com Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Cultivation Supplies, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinetrentallica
Lord Trentnar
Male User Gallery

Loc: virgina Flag
will an autoclave destroy nutrients in a growth medium???
    #5658601 - 05/22/06 01:14 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

i don't have an pressure cooked, but i do have an autoclave and have been using it.
an autoclave dose not have a max pressure or temp setting. it just gets as hot as it going to get, and gets as much pressure as its going to get. it is used to sterilize med equipment so there in no need for max limits. when i use it pressure gets as high as 30 psi, and temp over 260 F.
everything i have inoculated past a certain point shown no sign of growth. ok to be fair some of it was inoculated today, but still. I'm trying to think what i did differently the first two times that I'm not doing now. one thing that comes to mind is the autoclave. my first two attempts both came from the same autoclave cycle. the cycles that i have used after that have all been on longer cycles just to "be on the safe side", so they have all had longer exposure to ever higher temps , and higher psi then the first cycle.
i know nutrients are not alive, but i know proteins ans amino acids are involved. could the autoclave be converting the nutrients to an unusable state??????

--------------------
The only ones for me are the mad ones..........
                  :ass2mouth:

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
InvisibleFooManM
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: will an autoclave destroy nutrients in a growth medium??? [Re: trentallica]
    #5658640 - 05/22/06 01:23 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

trentallica said:
i don't have an pressure cooked, but i do have an autoclave and have been using it.
an autoclave dose not have a max pressure or temp setting. it just gets as hot as it going to get, and gets as much pressure as its going to get. it is used to sterilize med equipment so there in no need for max limits. when i use it pressure gets as high as 30 psi, and temp over 260 F.
everything i have inoculated past a certain point shown no sign of growth. ok to be fair some of it was inoculated today, but still. I'm trying to think what i did differently the first two times that I'm not doing now. one thing that comes to mind is the autoclave. my first two attempts both came from the same autoclave cycle. the cycles that i have used after that have all been on longer cycles just to "be on the safe side", so they have all had longer exposure to ever higher temps , and higher psi then the first cycle.
i know nutrients are not alive, but i know proteins ans amino acids are involved. could the autoclave be converting the nutrients to an unusable state??????

I'm not sure about the nutrient loss, but at 30psi you would cut the sterilization time in half, not go longer. It could be many things that are causing you to fail: bad spores, inoculating while the jars are still hot, releasing pressure manually instead of letting it drop on it's own, improper moisture content, high/low incubation temps, improper substrate mix, blah, blah, blah.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Offlinetrentallica
Lord Trentnar
Male User Gallery

Re: will an autoclave destroy nutrients in a growth medium??? [Re: FooMan]
    #5658706 - 05/22/06 01:39 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

hmmm spores. that would be the other thing the jars that are working have in common that are all the same spore. i cant use logic to rule out inoculating too soon, or pressure release was differnt, but the working ones and the non working ones all have the same environment.

i still need to know about the autoclave though???

--------------------

InvisibleBooNanZa
Microbiologist
    #5658792 - 05/22/06 02:00 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I too was wondering this. I have access to an autoclave at work, and it has two settings, LIQUID (for liquid cultures and garbage bags) and GRAVITY (for beakers, etc.) and wanted to know if I could throw some spawn bags in there since they won't fit my PC. It also goes to about 30psi, with a run of 35 minutes (20 minutes sterilize, 15 minutes dry)

Offlinetrentallica
Lord Trentnar
Male User Gallery

Re: will an autoclave destroy nutrients in a growth medium??? [Re: BooNanZa]
    #5659439 - 05/22/06 10:49 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

im looking more into it , and doing a little experamentation as well. ill post to this topic again when i know more.

--------------------

OfflineEdgekrusher
God
    #5659518 - 05/22/06 11:25 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

If you pressure cook for an hour at 15psi. You'd only need 30mins at 30psi.

I wouldn't imagine its the autoclave messing things up. Shit, if I had one I'd retire my PC right this moment. Give the innoculations atleat 5 days incubating if using MS innoculations. If not growth after 5-7 days, then worry.

Patience is a virtue needed for mycology.

OfflineTweexican
Clit Commander
 User Gallery
Re: will an autoclave destroy nutrients in a growth medium??? [Re: BooNanZa]
    #5659775 - 05/22/06 01:25 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

BooNanZa said:
I too was wondering this. I have access to an autoclave at work, and it has two settings, LIQUID (for liquid cultures and garbage bags) and GRAVITY (for beakers, etc.) and wanted to know if I could throw some spawn bags in there since they won't fit my PC. It also goes to about 30psi, with a run of 35 minutes (20 minutes sterilize, 15 minutes dry)

where do you work???!!!

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Cultivation Supplies, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom