Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Is it possible to install + run a bittorrent client on a linux system without having root?
    #5642047 -

Hey,

this is a pretty simple question from a linux n00b (I'm guessing the answer is "no" :tongue:)

I have a web server I'm not doing anything with. I can ftp and telnet to it, but it's a shared server and I don't have root.

Is there any way I can run a bittorrent client from the server? (i.e. download a torrent to the server and then contribute bandwidth to the swarm)

thanks :sun:

EDIT: also welcome  would be any suggestions for anything else I could do with the bandwidth along the same lines. The server runs Debian and has a fairly recent version of php installed. If I could use it, say, for a private proxy server or ssh tunnel, that would be cool as well :sun:

Edited by Odiumjunkie (05/20/06 11:34 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is it possible to install + run a bittorrent client on a linux system with having root? [Re: OJK]
    #5642644 -

Yeah that's totally possible. As long as you have write access to some disk space where you can install it, you should be fine. You can't use APT, but you can just upload the .py files and run them. Hopefully the server has python installed.

This is assuming you're using mainline bittorrent or bittornado. I suppose you could use something like rtorrent too, if it's not banned from your tracker.

Actually, you might want to look into a client called torrentflux, it's made for this sort of thing. It'll run headless and give you a nice web interface.


--------------------
Supercollider? I just met her!

Edited by supercollider (05/17/06 04:56 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is it possible to install + run a bittorrent client on a linux system with having root? [Re: supercollider]
    #5642692 -

Thank you!

That's really helpful, I had a look at TorrentFlux and it looks ideal!

Like I say, I really am hopeless at linux, but I'll give the setup a bash and report back.

Thanks! :sun:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is it possible to install + run a bittorrent client on a linux system with having root? [Re: OJK]
    #5642829 -

Ok - Please bear in mind I have very, very little linux experience :tongue:

I'm trying to set up a mySQL database for torrentflux to use. Here's the relevant portion of the INSTALL file;

Quote:
2. Create a database and load the mysql_torrentflux.sql script.
Database abstraction is supported starting in TorrentFlux 2.0
using ADODB for PHP.  You may specify type of database you want
to use in the config.php, but the examples here use MySQL.

    mysqladmin create torrentflux

"mysql_torrentflux.sql" contains the commands to build the table
structure and the default data for the TorrentFlux.  Run the
script on your torrentflux database.

    mysql torrentflux < mysql_torrentflux.sql
    Or load the script with PHPMyAdmin (web interface)

3. Edit 'config.php' for database settings.  Database
abstraction is supported starting in TorrentFlux 2.0 using
ADODB for PHP.  You may specify type of database you want to
use, but the examples here use MySQL.




I can create mysql databases through the Web Panel of my server. Can I set up torrentflux using a mysql database set up through a webpanel?

How can I load the mysql setup files through telnet without root?

I'm so confused :confused:

would setting up mainline be easier?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is it possible to install + run a bittorrent client on a linux system with having root? [Re: supercollider]
    #5643214 -

I got mainline working! :laugh:



I FTPed the source folder to a folder on the webserver

I then FTPed a torrent file to the same folder

I then used the command

Code:

$ python bittorrent-console.py --responsefile [nameoftorrent].torrent --save_as [nametosavefile]



and it works!

sorry for sounding over excited, but I've never succesfully used telnet, bash, linux or a web server before

thanks for your help :sun:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is it possible to install + run a bittorrent client on a linux system with having root? [Re: OJK]
    #5643351 -

you should use ssh, it's the encypted way to telnet.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is it possible to install + run a bittorrent client on a linux system with having root? [Re: blink]
    #5645341 -

How would I go about setting up an ssh tunnel on a shared server?

I would have thought it would be pretty complicated :tongue:

EDIT: I configured SSH using PuTTY and this guide

can anyone confirm that steps 8 - 11 of that guide aren't really necessery? I followed steps 1 - 7 and SSH using the public/private keypair seems to work just fine

I'm not sure what steps 8 - 11 do :tongue:

thanks

Edited by Odiumjunkie (05/18/06 07:25 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is it possible to install + run a bittorrent client on a linux system with having root? [Re: OJK]
    #5649369 -

don't worry about those - they are just for setting up CVS (a revisioning system). congrats on getting things working - it is always a great feeling to fumble upon a *nix solution :smile:


--------------------



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is it possible to install + run a bittorrent client on a linux system with having root? [Re: OJK]
    #5653002 -

A bittorrent client will kill the bandwidth for the server. The function of the machine as a server will suffer severely.


--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is it possible to install + run a bittorrent client on a linux system with having root? [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #5653020 -

I have about twenty terrabytes of unused bandwidth, and I've capped both the dl and upload speeds to a small portion of their maximum. :shrug:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is it possible to install + run a bittorrent client on a linux system with having root? [Re: Krishna]
    #5653042 -

Would it be possible for me to set up an X session over the SSH connection without root?

If it is, could anyone give me some pointers on how to do it?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Best Linux/Unix Distribution? *DELETED*
( 1 2 3 all )
T0aD 6,237 52 07/06/04 03:48 PM
by tomu
* currently installing gentoo...
( 1 2 all )
FlusH 3,384 32 09/25/04 05:45 PM
by FrankieN
* So, who's not running Windows?
( 1 2 all )
Phluck 1,951 30 09/13/04 08:27 AM
by tomu
* Questions regarding bittorrent use....is the tracker necessary? Randolph_Carter 823 4 02/04/05 06:38 PM
by lackobreath
* .linux.
( 1 2 all )
Xochitl 4,308 26 09/20/03 11:11 AM
by debianlinux
* FINK for Linux? Fungi_x 326 2 12/16/04 01:34 PM
by MarioNett
* For anyone looking to try linux as a desktop OS
( 1 2 all )
windex 6,371 37 02/07/03 12:32 AM
by Malformed
* LInux program install trouble monoamine 1,335 9 09/11/04 01:10 PM
by monoamine

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: trendal, automan, Northerner
2,478 topic views. 0 members, 0 guests and 9 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.025 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 14 queries.