Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineRandolph_Carter
НơĻ?ĢΉō

Loc: Shroomery B-list.
Questions regarding bittorrent use....is the tracker necessary?
    #3726006 - 02/03/05 07:59 PM (12 years, 20 days ago)

I'm unclear on how the clients hunt down peers.
Is it brokered thru the server on which the tracker resides?
Would allowing a .torrent file to be hosted, and downloaded with availible seeds be enough to ensure downloading?

Any knowledgable response would be helpful, i've got an archive i need to spread, and if i don't have to find a tracker, or can allow download to more than Azareus, it'd be preferable.
Thanks!

--------------------
"..all those molecules thrashing their kinky little tails, hot for destiny and the street."  Gibson

Nuke baby seals for Jesus!

(This has been a +1 production.)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

Re: Questions regarding bittorrent use....is the tracker necessary? [Re: Randolph_Carter]
    #3726060 - 02/03/05 08:09 PM (12 years, 20 days ago)

You need to create a .torrent file and upload it to a torrent hosting website. Try www.lokitorrent.com. Im not sure how you create the torrent file but its probably just some software that you need to search for and download.

Go here Make a torrent

Edited by Catalysis (02/03/05 08:12 PM)

OfflineRandolph_Carter
НơĻ?ĢΉō

Loc: Shroomery B-list.
Re: Questions regarding bittorrent use....is the tracker necessary? [Re: Catalysis]
    #3726066 - 02/03/05 08:11 PM (12 years, 20 days ago)

I know that, i'm just trying to figure out HOW the clients go about finding the seeders.

--------------------
"..all those molecules thrashing their kinky little tails, hot for destiny and the street."  Gibson

Nuke baby seals for Jesus!

(This has been a +1 production.)

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

Re: Questions regarding bittorrent use....is the tracker necessary? [Re: Randolph_Carter]
    #3726092 - 02/03/05 08:16 PM (12 years, 20 days ago)

Yes i believe the ips are coordinated by the tracker site because those sites are able to log all the seed and leecher ips currently on the torrent.

I think thats what the announce url is for...although with the bit tornado client you can do a manual announce so you might want to check that out.

Offlinelackobreath
Cannabis Man
Re: Questions regarding bittorrent use....is the tracker necessary? [Re: Catalysis]
    #3731944 - 02/04/05 08:38 PM (12 years, 19 days ago)

There's some really good bittorrent faqs out there...

http://www.dessent.net/btfaq/
http://wiki.theppn.org/index.php/BitTorrent_Tutorial
-----------------------------------------------
here's apretty good definition of a tracker...

tracker... A server on the Internet that acts to coordinate the action of BitTorrent clients. When you open a torrent, your machine contacts the tracker and asks for a list of peers to contact. Periodically throughout the transfer, your machine will check in with the tracker, telling it how much you've downloaded and uploaded, how much you have left before finishing, and the state you're in (starting, finished download, stopping.) If a tracker is down and you try to open a torrent, you will be unable to connect. If a tracker goes down during a torrent (i.e., you have already connected at some point and are already talking to peers), you will be able to continue transferring with those peers, but no new peers will be able to contact you. Often tracker errors are temporary, so the best thing to do is just wait and leave the client open to continue trying.
------------------------------------------

my advice...posting your archive at a very popular torrent site will make sure your archive spreads faster, wider, and longer.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology