Home | Community | Message Board

PlanetSpores.ca
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Ohio Fungi, first time hunting! *Lots-o-Pics*
    #5650168 -

After seeing the beautiful pics from Shroomydan's Ohio mushroom hunt and gathering, I thought I'd go out for my first ever hunt here in Dayton.

I wasn't expecting to find much because of my untrained eye and general lack of knowledge on specific fungus/mushroom habitats.

Well, I guess I surprised myself :smirk:

The temperature today was in the mid-50's with looming clouds when I began at around 10 AM and reached probably 65 F with steady sunlight when I finished at 130 PM.  Rain soaked this area for the past week.  It has been partly cloudy for the past few days with the exception of a downpour yesterday.



Feast yer eyes, maties  :hook:

I found a lot of these.  They smelled fishy and were extremely fleshy and slick with a porous underside.


<---check out the teeny pin in the middle of the pic.  These  (what I believe to be) scarlet cups were probably only 1/2 inch in diameter if that gives you any idea of the pinhead size.
















I'll upload a few more tomorrow since I've reached the day's limit.

Also, I'd like a few guesses as to what kind of fungus/mushroom each specimen might be.  I don't have the specifc criteria for each one, but some of them may be obvious...??  I'm not going to eat any of the ones I did pick so don't worry.

Now all I need is a field guide :grin:


He was checkin' me out, too!

Edited by WoodsCall (05/19/06 02:34 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ohio Fungi, first time hunting! *Pics* [Re: WoodsCall]
    #5650447 -

Yeah I wouldn't eat them but beautiful specimens and photographs! Especially the coprinus picture  :tongue2: :mushroom2:


--------------------
I :heart: Psilocybe weilii...:mushroomgrow:

"I think of going to the grave without ever having a psychedelic experience like going to the grave without ever having sex."
-McKenna

Edited by Psilocyan (05/20/06 11:42 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ohio Fungi, first time hunting! *Pics* [Re: WoodsCall]
    #5650451 -

those r som cool lookin shrooms, that red one is really nice

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ohio Fungi, first time hunting! *Pics* [Re: ilikechikin1]
    #5650502 -

nice.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ohio Fungi, first time hunting! *Pics* [Re: Psilocyan]
    #5650539 -

Ha, thanks. 

I was really impressed with the outcome of today's voyage and thought I'd share my excitement and the wonders of nature :sun:


--------------------
live free or die

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ohio Fungi, first time hunting! *Pics* [Re: WoodsCall]
    #5650707 -

Welcome to the hunting world  Wood!!!  Keep getting out there, ohio has a vast diversity of habitats to play in :smile:  Im out in dayton from time to time, i'll have to check out the parks out there.  KEep up the good work and good hunting!!!


--------------------
Hail to the King Baby

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ohio Fungi, first time hunting! *Pics* [Re: WoodsCall]
    #5650769 -

Hey WoodsCall :smile:

Your screen name reminds me of being a kid, when my mom used to make me take naps in the middle of the afternoon. I can remember watching the trees blowing in the wind from my bedroom window and longing to be outside in the woods.


You did really well for your first mushroom foray.  :thumbup:

The first ones are probably Dryad's Saddle (Polyporus squamosus). They are edible when small. Falcon likes them, but they are not one of my favorites.

Those beautiful little red ones are Stalked Scarlet Cups (Sarcoscypha occidentalis).

The yellow jelly fungus is Witches' Butter (Tremella mesenterica). It is listed as edible, but I have never tried it.


The next two photos are of Scaly Inky Caps (Coprinus quadrifidus). The are generally not considered edible.

The next one is another Inky Cap (Coprinus sp.) It is not possible to determine species from the picture.

Those brown ones are Wood Ears or Tree Ears (Auricularia auricula). They are a choice edible most commonly used in Chinese Hot & Sour soup. They are also reported to thin blood and reduce clotting. This property may be beneficial in reducing the risk of coronary artery disease. However, they should not be consumed in large quantities as this may lead to problems like nose bleeds.

I'm not sure about the white jelly fungus.

That toad is cute. If I were him I'd be checkin' you out too.  :smile: :heart:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ohio Fungi, first time hunting! *Pics* [Re: shroomydan]
    #5652029 -

Looks like you got some polypore, some sort of cups, switches butter, coprinus, and some other jelli.  :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ohio Fungi, first time hunting! *Pics* [Re: WoodsCall]
    #5653142 -

Nice pics! Not bad for your first time hunting. :thumbup:


--------------------
Immortal / Temporarily Retired
The OG Thread Killer
My mushroom hunting gallery

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ohio Fungi, first time hunting! *Pics* [Re: shroomydan]
    #5657727 -

Thanks a lot for the identifications, shroomydan :smile:


Those stalked scarlet cups were so vibrant they caught my eye from about 10 feet even though they were on the forest floor almost covered by some locally invasive plants.

The Witches' Butter (Tremella mesenterica), was also pretty wild.  It sure would make a colorful addition to a dish, but even though it's technically edible, I'd prefer to view it on a dead log :smirk:

The Coprinus sp. mushrooms I did think were ink caps because when I picked a few for observation, the caps pretty much disintegrated into a slime on my fingers.  Yech!

I am also familiar with the Wood Ears as being an edible mushroom in the Chinese cuisine.  I wonder if I could collect some and sell them to the restaurant up the road...?  The texture of those was surprising; I saw a few of them had a thin layer of soft fuzz.


I was previously fascinated with other *edible* mushrooms, and now I'm looking to expand my horizons a bit. 
I figured now is the time since the weather is getting both wetter and warmer, right at the beginning of mushroom season. 
Now I have a whole summer and fall to look forward to camping, mountain biking, and mushroom hunting throughout Ohio.

Thanks again for the comments, guys :thumbup:


--------------------
live free or die

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ohio Fungi, first time hunting! *Pics* [Re: WoodsCall]
    #5657868 -


is it just me or does this look like the skull keeper of the mushrooms?
Cool Pics man I'm jealous as hell. I can usually get all kinds of colors like that in a typical hunt! But South East Texas is dry dry and I get more and more depressed as the dry weather continues!


--------------------
Gut Feeling leads to anxiety, Anxiety leads to fear, Fear leads to anger,And anger leads to regret.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ohio Fungi, first time hunting! *Pics* [Re: YESSUP]
    #5666981 -


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Got a new camera for mushroom hunting pics! ScubySnak420 1,661 4 06/16/03 07:32 AM
by ScubySnak420
* My first hunt :) *pics* BlackHawk22 1,551 6 07/28/03 08:28 AM
by BlackHawk22
* A successful morel hunt (PICS!) Gumby 2,737 14 03/26/03 06:55 AM
by Gumby
* Try to identify my dry fungi (no pics) YouInfoIt 959 3 09/26/02 07:07 PM
by viscid
* Some hunting pics: Liberty Cap Wheedhead! 6,445 9 09/21/03 01:42 PM
by whole9
* LATEST HUNT! (pics) MagikBus 3,382 9 06/20/01 12:26 PM
by psilocybian
* Results from todays hunt **pics** Xenophobic 868 3 10/11/03 12:15 PM
by Gumby
* Pot hunting (pics) Lizard King 1,102 1 12/13/01 09:05 PM
by SThomas

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: ToxicMan, karode13, inski, Alan Rockefeller, Duggstar, TimmiT, Anglerfish, Tmethyl, Lucis, Doc9151, Land Trout
2,896 topic views. 1 members, 18 guests and 54 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.026 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 16 queries.