Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineLeft
Stranger
How long for poison?
    #5582895 - 05/02/06 08:09 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

How long could it take for mushrooms poison to take effect? Can it take more then 18 hours for it to create any effects? not even cramps sweating or a general feeling of bad.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineXzibit
X to tha Z
Male User Gallery

Loc: Australia
Re: How long for poison? [Re: Left]
    #5582917 - 05/02/06 08:14 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

from waht ive read up on...it can take up to 3 days or so before you will feel odd..it eats away at your kidneys and liver...and when you have the poisoning its bad enough u wish you were dead..the sweating is normal.i have had that...but cramps i havnt experienced

--------------------
What, You Drinking Gin? Nah Dude This Is Shrooms!

InvisibleshroominDole
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: O.C . S o. C a l .
Re: How long for poison? [Re: Xzibit]
    #5583053 - 05/02/06 08:43 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

It can take up to 3 weeks before any symptoms for Deadly Cortinarius like Cortinarius gentilis from the toxin Orellinine....."well...lets see doc...hmmmm...I did eat some wild mushrooms....but that was like almost a month ago I think !...nah that could'nt of ...............

And 6 to 24 hours before signs appear for Amanitas (Amatoxins).....in both cases by then its too late....with Amanitas symtoms can completely reside shortly after and one may feel fine.....but then the real dirty work begins much more limiting your chances for partial liver transplant success.....till death in 3 days or more.....

EDIT: Here is a perfect example of what you dont want to eat....CLASSIC DEADLY CORTINARIUS !!!!!
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5530901/an/0/page/1

--------------------
Worlds Largest 'Liberty Cap' (Cali Libs Confirmed !)
' Comments On Hallucinogenic Agarics And The Hallucinations Of Those Who Study Them '
Alexander H. Smith
Mycologia vol.69 1977

Edited by shroominDole (05/02/06 09:01 PM)

OfflineLeft
Stranger
Re: How long for poison? [Re: shroominDole]
    #5583224 - 05/02/06 09:17 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

only a few take that long to take effect? what do thoes mushrooms look like that take that long to do damage?

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #5583315 - 05/02/06 09:33 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Here are a couple pages with photos of Cortinarius orellanus, the original species orellanine was found in:

http://www.funghiitaliani.it/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=129
http://www.agraria.org/funghi/cortinariusorellanus.htm

The related Cortinarius species with the same toxin are pretty similar in appearance.

Keep in mind that these mushrooms were only discovered to be poisonous in the 1950s. They are still discovering new poisonous mushrooms all the time. They're not usually new species - it's just that a large fruiting of them occurs, somebody eats a bunch and gets sick, and an investigation by a good person reveals that we have a new dangerous mushroom species.

Eating mushrooms that aren't absolutely known to be edible is a dangerous thing to do. If you really really want to contribute to human knowledge this way, the process is quite a bit more involved than most people want to bother with.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

InvisibleshroominDole
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: How long for poison? [Re: ToxicMan]
    #5583405 - 05/02/06 09:47 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

I already gave you a link to one above but heres some more......

here is the deadly Cortinarius orellanus on a stamp;
http://www.montagnedoc.it/admin/imgschede/890_tn.jpg

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=h...6lr%3D%26sa%3DN

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=h...6lr%3D%26sa%3DG

--------------------
' Comments On Hallucinogenic Agarics And The Hallucinations Of Those Who Study Them '
Alexander H. Smith
Mycologia vol.69 1977

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
    #5583680 - 05/02/06 10:25 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Actually the first example isnt that good - since the photo to my mind doesnt look like a cortinarius - the stem colour looks wrong as do the gills.
The other photos presented are much more indicative. There are species in Australia that I have seen - generally the stem on these varieties is very similar to the cap colour and the gills are rusty and fairly distant.

The original topic of this post is a worry - i hope your not waiting to see a doctor mate - go early ...

--------------------

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #5584869 - 05/03/06 08:57 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

In a general sense, the faster the toxins act (for that toxin) the worse the poisoning is. That is, orellanine typically shows symptoms anywhere from 2 to 21 days after ingestion. The average time until symptoms is 8 days, and there have been a couple cases where symptoms began appearing after only 12 hours. The shorter the latent period before symptoms appear, the worse the prognosis.

If you have consumed orellanine, there is currently no treatment available other than standard treatment for kidney failure. In the large majority of cases dialysis will keep you going until your kidney begin to function again.

Symptoms to watch for are the usual nausea, vomiting, and loss of appetite. These symptoms are caused by so many things (including anxiety) that they aren't really as important to watch out for. If you have been poisoned with orellanine, you will then have a phase with extreme thirst and urination (polydypsia and polyuria). If these symptoms appear then you need to see a doctor urgently.

If possible, bring fresh specimens of the mushrooms if you need to see a doctor. They can contact an expert local mycologist and verify if those mushrooms are the problem.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinebongoboy2000
Bongoboy2000
Male
Loc: Seattle
Re: How long for poison? [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #5585062 - 05/03/06 09:57 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

You seem awefully concerned about this...did you eat an unknown mushroom? If you're worried you may have eaten a poisonous mushroom you can't wait to seek medical help, like the others have said, by the time you feel sick, it's too late.
Hopefully you're just curious!

--------------------
...I got nothin..

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: How long for poison? [Re: bongoboy2000]
    #5585310 - 05/03/06 11:21 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

This is another example of people not reading a friggin faq here o the site.

Fistrst off, In the Shroomery's Ultimate Shroom Guide, I stick to a simple how not to poison ones self.

There are approximately now almost 200 species of mushrooms which contain psilocine and/or psilocybine and related compounds.

While those mushrooms species belong to approximately 12 families of mushrooms.

Only three families should be colelcted for consumption and the others left alone.

Now why you may ask?

Eat Psilocybe species (purple-brown to Chocolate-brown sporeprint and color.

Eat panaeolus or Copelandia species (Black spore deposit).

Very friggin simple.

Do not pick any mushrooms with orange-cinnamonen colored gills (Galerina 3-4 species) and Conocybe Filaris (one species)

Do not pick any mushrooms with white gills (white spore deposits).

Again Very simple. By not picking any of the latter two spore color groups you have i eliminated the majoprioty of deadliest of the mushroom species which may or may not resemble some species of Psilocybe.

Now Psilocybe have many habitats.

DO not worry about poisonous shrooms in cow manure heaps.

There you can pick either P cubensis and'or P. subcubensis.
Rarely panaeolus subbalteatus,
But many many Copelandia cyanescens.

Stick to thoe in the fields for manured shroomsa nd you will not poison yourself.

Liberty caps grow in manured soil, not in manure so they grow with their mycelia attached tot he roots of wild grasses, mainly in cow pastures and sheep fields, but can appear in meados, pasturelands and lawns in public places in variopus rwegions of the world.

Just sty away form the other psilocybian mushrooms whopse collections should really be left up to mycologists and other peo-ple who really have a knowledge4 of mushrooms in general. Simple easy to remember.

mj

Ands please do not eat a mushroom unless someone really knows what the mushroom you are eating is.

Friends have poisoned p friends by picking wrong mushrooms and saying or thinking they are what other friends had showed them or picked for them.

Two years ago, two kids in Oregon ate Galerinas. One died. They thought they were magic shrooms because they looked like something a friend has shown.

IT is no fun to go to a hospital and try to identify shroom vomit to determine if somene ate the wrong shroom. And if they are in candy form or in a tea or soup of smopothie, than the complications could be deadly moreso because there would be no specimens to analyse.
Only someones vomit. And that takes much longer and much longer can be too late.

Offlinethosemynikes
Gangster
 User Gallery

Loc: CA, monterey bay
Re: How long for poison? [Re: mjshroomer]
    #5585644 - 05/03/06 12:40 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

and one other thing while were on the subject of people listening to someones identification, ive been reading a lot of posts saying "i think its this but dont take my word on it wait for someone with expierence." i personally feel that if you dont want them to take your word on it, dont say any at all. mushroom identification is very serious and people not fimilar with this forum or the posters may go off on any word of information, we dont know and shouldnt take the risk.

Edited by thosemynikes (05/03/06 01:04 PM)

InvisibleshroominDole
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: How long for poison? [Re: thosemynikes]
    #5587443 - 05/03/06 07:46 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

hey those.....looks like you replied on the wrong thread maybe.....which one was it ???......and just a general warning but still appropriate for this thread........DONT EVER EAT A MUSHROOM SOMEONE IDENTIFIED FOR YOU FROM A PICTURE ON A WEB SITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
Alexander H. Smith
Mycologia vol.69 1977

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
    #5587657 - 05/03/06 08:33 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

mj OWNED IT

--------------------

Offlinepsilo_cybin
LessTalk, MoreRock

Loc: Mighty South Aussie
Re: How long for poison? [Re: bongoboy2000]
    #5589035 - 05/04/06 03:42 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

bongoboy2000 said:
You seem awefully concerned about this...did you eat an unknown mushroom? If you're worried you may have eaten a poisonous mushroom you can't wait to seek medical help, like the others have said, by the time you feel sick, it's too late.
Hopefully you're just curious!

Thats exactly what I was thinking... Don't wait for a response ring the poisen hotline or whatever it is?

--------------------
*Shine On You Crazy Diamond*

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale