Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHix
Animal Mother
Male

Solvent-based Hash extraction
    #5378647 - 03/08/06 06:37 PM (18 years, 25 days ago)

I can't really go anywhere but I do have 70% Isopropyl alcohol, 30% water. So I'm just going to go for it anyways. I could freeze out the water, but it's too risky (still in highschool, at home with parents). Does anyone know which types of hash are the most potent? I figured that press hash was probably the best, but I've never tried hash oil. I just figured I should try experimenting with trying to make hash so by the time I'm out of the house I can impress my roomates at art school. Any tips that you guys have for future solvent-based extraction? thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Re: Solvent-based Hash extraction [Re: Hix]
    #5378971 - 03/08/06 07:46 PM (18 years, 25 days ago)

the best hash comes from potent plants that have been sieved with a fine screen.  The finer the screen the more potent the hash, however the finer you go the less you yield.

ISO isnt an extraction really, you're just seperating the trichromes off of the material and then evaporating the alcohol.  This leaves behind some undesirables and doesnt produce the strongest hash.  Currently i have a few chunks of some iso hash made from an oz of schwag, its not so bad, but its no where near as good as it could be :smile:

--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

i really am glad you came back to us instead of taking the other path. *hug*

-A_S (RIP your final words to me will never be forgotten)

Don't fuck with the laughing jesus.

Offlinefazdazzle
Wanderer

Re: Solvent-based Hash extraction [Re: coda]
    #5379686 - 03/08/06 11:04 PM (18 years, 25 days ago)

AFOAF did an ethanol extraction and it tasted like absolute shite.

Very much :thumbdown:

OfflineKerr
Who else would I be

Loc: My roots in the Koots
Re: Solvent-based Hash extraction [Re: fazdazzle]
    #5379697 - 03/08/06 11:08 PM (18 years, 25 days ago)

Butane is a nice alternative, if you get the right brand there should be no residue provided you follow the steps :sun:

--------------------
"Easy going and organic thoughts bent on self experimentation and knowledge and growth for the betterment of self and those around us"
-Playdo the philosophiser

OfflinePingasa
Stranger
Re: Solvent-based Hash extraction [Re: Kerr]
    #5380046 - 03/09/06 01:44 AM (18 years, 25 days ago)

The potency of hash really depends on the plant since the amount of the cannabinoids in each tricrome varies. So the more potent the starting material, the more potent the hash should be. If done well (meaning you only do a quick 2-3 minute wash of the weed and dont use much heat, if any at all, to evaporate the alcahol) you can actually get a nice hash, which can be a golden brown to darker blackish red color. Usually when i make some hash from the stuff I get, it turns out pretty strong. I can normally get stoned from smoking a peice no bigger than several pinheads. I would recommend doing a quick wash from some all right bud and you should get some good hash.

OfflineKaleidoscope
Voodoo Child
Loc: the 28th dimension
Re: Solvent-based Hash extraction [Re: Pingasa]
    #5380075 - 03/09/06 01:59 AM (18 years, 25 days ago)

it's funny, I've played with lots of stuff, never hash though...

--------------------

Purple haze, all in my brain, lately things just don't seem the same. Actin' funny but I don't know why, 'scuse me while I kiss the sky.

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
Re: Solvent-based Hash extraction [Re: Kaleidoscope]
    #5381053 - 03/09/06 12:07 PM (18 years, 24 days ago)

ive made iso hash b4, with 97%, i had good results. ive also used 70% with really good results. like everyones saying though, it depends on the potency of the plant. i did the 97% alcohol extraction here in the states, but i did my 70% iso extraction in fiji. and the plants in fiji are nearly 20 times more potent than here (they had no visible trichomes either). my fiji hash totaly blew away any medical or otherwise high quality hash ive ever had b4. send me a pm and ill send u a copy of cannabis alchemy, it will explain anything and everything u need to read.

InvisibleStickyWater
Stranger
Re: Solvent-based Hash extraction [Re: CptnGarden]
    #5381090 - 03/09/06 12:15 PM (18 years, 24 days ago)

I just buy my hash... and just smoke the weed, don't really see any point in risking wasting my bud

OfflineKerr
Who else would I be

Loc: My roots in the Koots
Re: Solvent-based Hash extraction [Re: StickyWater]
    #5381098 - 03/09/06 12:17 PM (18 years, 24 days ago)

There is never much a risk if you know what your doing and besides its nice not to having to smoke all the plant material :sun:

--------------------
"Easy going and organic thoughts bent on self experimentation and knowledge and growth for the betterment of self and those around us"
-Playdo the philosophiser

Invisiblemecreateme
YoUisMEEMsiUoY
Male User Gallery

Loc: Memphrica
    #5381175 - 03/09/06 12:39 PM (18 years, 24 days ago)

Hash you buy will be nothing compared to what you could make with love and care. That is why there is not so much hash around. If you make, you make it to love and enjoy it, not sell it, ususally.

--------------------
No ONE wants to know the ultimate TRUTH, as soon as YOU find IT out, YOU want to forget IT.

You are everything's way of feeling itself.

Happy Schwag, everygodly!

InvisibleStickyWater
Stranger
Re: Solvent-based Hash extraction [Re: mecreateme]
    #5381296 - 03/09/06 01:07 PM (18 years, 24 days ago)

meh, I am NOT complaining about the hash I get at all, infact I get more active chemicals in my hash than I would spending the same money on bud and making hash out of it, seeing as they're both the same price/weight... But yeah, I see your point, it's nice to not be smoking the plant material... O how I love vaporizers  :wink:

OfflineLuv_The_Cyans
High as a kite ;)
Male User Gallery

Loc: BC and BCS
    #5381327 - 03/09/06 01:15 PM (18 years, 24 days ago)

Hey HIX try this
This is my method and it works great, for all the effort i would honestly go buy a set of bubble bags, very good investment, smokable hash in 1 hr. This method is usually a 2 day process. And the bubble i make is comparable to any oil i have ever smoked.
The method i use comes mostly from a book i bought at a head shop "Cannabis Alchemy" so i will have to give the credit in that direction ahead of time but...
Using all glass or SS bowls
Take enough 99%IPA to cover the plant matter by 1/2"
You set up a reflux apparatus as shown

There is a smaller circular bowl with the IPA and plant matter on the bottom, on top there is a larger circular bowl fitting the rim of the bottom bowl. In the book it says to cover the whole thing with a garbage bad and seal it with bungee cords, but i found as long as there is lots of ice, things go ok and there is not much loss of solvent.
So you fill the top of this badboy with ice, lots of it. You heat it from the bottom(not on an open flame...), I perfer to use the double boiler as it will never get too hot.
As the alcohol is heated it extracts a large % of the THC(along with plant matter but we will get to that later ).
The IPA evaporates, only to meet a nice cold bowl where is procedes to condense, and drip back into the pool, and repeat the process once again. As long as there is lots of ice, there is minimal pressure built up, and fumes are almost non existant. Do this for 1-2 hrs
You then filter the plant matter out(maybe one quick wash after but it is pretty much done for extraction purposes) and toss it. Toss in about 1 Tbs of active charcol per cup of oil/alcohol(rough estimate), and shake it all up in a jar(making sure to release pressure) for about 5 mins. Filter the charcol out and evaporate on a double boiler for at least 2 hrs( it will be smokable before but will taste, smell, and burn funny, we want to make sure all IPA is gone)
You now have crude black oil. It will smear a dark green colour, and taste nasty. It is smokeable and you will have lots, but lets up the ante a little.
You take the crude black oil and redissolve it into a non-polar solvent(ether, Naptha, xylene, ect). I use naptha from can tire, just be sure to evap one ounce and make sure there is no residue.
Use approx 10ml of solvent per 1 gm of oil. You will probably need to heat it to dissolve.
Now we get into the fun part. You could use a seporatory funnel(if you have one!!!), I find a glass jar with a pipet, or glass turkey baster works just fine. Even a plastic bag with a tiny hole cut in one corner works!

What need to be done is an equal amount of water will be mixed into the solvent/oil mix, but!!!!! they are not soluble so an emulsion is created. You want to make sure they are thoroughly mixed, as the water will get all cloudy and nasty and the solution clears up!!
This emulsion may take a while to settle...i have tried heating, cooling, stirring, but the most effective seems to be just leave it alone for a couple hours.
Once the emulsion settles, you obtain the top layer(using naptha) and keep it(using glass jar pipet, or sepfunnel, or bag)and toss the water. The emulsion process is then repeated 2 times. The solvent will get to a translucent state(from opaque). Mine usually looks dark orange through light. i repeat the charcol filter at this time, but not totally necissary. Then evap the solvent/oil(again at least 2 hours i perfer 4) to obtain high quality cannabis oil. This stuff will smear an orange to gold colour and will be very stringy. There will be about 50% less of the good brown/honey oil, but it is 2X as potent!!!!
Now after all that if you wanna get really hardcore you can check out isomerization
I have made it a couple times, but was a little disappointed
I followed the instructions to a tee, but with minimal noticable effects...
It may also be that we smoke so damn much of the stuff, that we reach a peak absorbtion and more potent oil will not help...just a thought though and hey what do i know?

Offlinebrowndustin
dustybuddy

#5382099 - 03/09/06 04:43 PM (18 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

StickyWater said:
meh, I am NOT complaining about the hash I get at all, infact I get more active chemicals in my hash than I would spending the same money on bud and making hash out of it, seeing as they're both the same price/weight... But yeah, I see your point, it's nice to not be smoking the plant material... O how I love vaporizers  :wink:

You're still not helping though, man. He wants to make hash. Whatever the reason, he just wants some help making hash lol

I'd say just get ahold of some bubble bags if at all possible. Or do an iso extraction. Remember not to soak your bud for more than a couple of minutes, because even a few minutes is still extremely long. Then you're just filtering out all the crap in the bud that you don't want, which is counter productive and just a big waste of friggen time.

--------------------
When the stress burns my brain it's like acid raindrops
maryjane is the only thing that makes the pain stop

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Re: Solvent-based Hash extraction [Re: Luv_The_Cyans]
    #5382197 - 03/09/06 05:13 PM (18 years, 24 days ago)

this is an awesome tek, however, can you give me some measurements on dry cannabis weight to honey? Like for instance 10 grams of bud leaves you with 1 gram of oil.

--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

OfflineHix
Animal Mother
Male

Re: Solvent-based Hash extraction [Re: coda]
    #5382984 - 03/09/06 08:42 PM (18 years, 24 days ago)

The bud I'm using is called "orange nubs", not too sure of anything else about it, except for it's got the greenest bud with the orangest hairs I've ever seen in my entire life. Not the best shit ever, but damn close. Thanks for the help guys, I started it and it's already getting very dark green, tommorow night I'm going to evaporate it, and test some out. I figure the bud can't lose any thc potency, and I'll still get thoroughly baked.

Using ethanol for hash seems like an extremely bad idea, unless you went through a very rigorous evaporating process. I just think that it would result in very flammable pot. Since I'm using 70% iso, I guessed the 30% extra water will just contribute to slower burning of the hash, and a more enjoyable smoke.

OfflineKingkole
im not a noob...im a a doob

Loc: canadiana
Re: Solvent-based Hash extraction [Re: Hix]
    #5383674 - 03/09/06 11:29 PM (18 years, 24 days ago)

the point is to evaporate the iso, its all gone and does not burn, that would be bad to inhale im guessing.
Same goes for ethanol.

Invisiblemecreateme
YoUisMEEMsiUoY
Male User Gallery

Loc: Memphrica
Re: Solvent-based Hash extraction [Re: Kingkole]
    #5383763 - 03/09/06 11:53 PM (18 years, 24 days ago)

Yeah be wary of fumes. They are known as volatile organic compounds.

However, after it is evaporated, all you are left with is the good shit. Not quite hash, but just as good as. Really good for novice hash makers.

--------------------
No ONE wants to know the ultimate TRUTH, as soon as YOU find IT out, YOU want to forget IT.

You are everything's way of feeling itself.

Happy Schwag, everygodly!

OfflineLuv_The_Cyans
High as a kite ;)
Male User Gallery

Loc: BC and BCS
    #5385119 - 03/10/06 10:47 AM (18 years, 23 days ago)

with 70% alc you are going to get some black nasty waxy shit.
redissolve in a solvent and do an emulsion
You will not regret it, the oil will be much higher quality
As for yeilds, ive never really weighted the b4 material out.
But i would say an
Oz of fan leaves will get you around a gram
Oz of trim leaves will get about 2 grams
Oz of Bud(depending on quality) 3-6grams
This # is using reflux and cleaning the oil vigorously.
Less cleaning will get more oil(but less quality)
And you must be careful with the emulsions and filtrations, A lot of oil can be lost in these steps from spills and such.

Edited by Luv_The_Cyans (03/10/06 10:55 AM)

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Re: Solvent-based Hash extraction [Re: Luv_The_Cyans]
    #5385129 - 03/10/06 10:50 AM (18 years, 23 days ago)

yah i just smoked some ISO hash the other night and it was GARBAGE. Could be the fact that someone thought it would be a good idea to cut the hash with 3 grms of schwag. The stuff was basically like the tar you scraped out of your pipe. Harsh smoke, little or no taste to it, almost NO high off it whatsoever.

Much better off investing in some bubble bags or doing the oil extraction cyans posted.

--------------------

-JG

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale