Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
buying a car...advice?
    #5218002 -

Hey folks. I need a ride, and this is my first car buying experience and if anyone feels like they could offer some sage advice, read on.

I basically know the price range, makes and years of the cars (hondas & toyotas from the mid to late 90s) I'm interested in. I just don't know if I should buy a car from a dealer or from a private party. The types of cars I'm looking at are only like $5,000 or $6,000 from a private party...but the same cars are like $9,000 from a dealer. Of course the dealer offers a warranty, which is nice, but you have to pay for the warranty as well.

So I'm just feeling confused. I wanna save the cash but don't wanna get screwed, and am already tired of spending hours looking in the classifieds and the newspapers.

Where can I find my dream ride?  :confused: Any advice appreciated.


--------------------
:hst:
Society in every form is a blessing,
but government at its best is but a necessary evil
 
- Thomas Paine

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: buying a car...advice? [Re: gluke bastid]
    #5218005 -

don't do what i did: i once bought a Torino that broke down before i could get it to the registration place. after multiple fixes i was still speeding up to hit the sweet spot where the shaking stopped (around 70) and fixing the piece on the driver's floordpace that attached the gas pedal to the rest of the car.

take a mechanic with you.


--------------------
buh

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: buying a car...advice? [Re: shirley knott]
    #5218027 -

So yeah, I was thinking I should take the car to a mechanic if I get it from a third party...

What's the etiquette on this? Do I leave a deposit with the owner so they know I won't drive off with their car?


--------------------
:hst:
Society in every form is a blessing,
but government at its best is but a necessary evil
 
- Thomas Paine

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: buying a car...advice? [Re: gluke bastid]
    #5218043 -

Unless you're buying new, always go private--dealers are a big rip. I'd highly recommend a Honda Civic, you can pick up a nice 5th generation (92-95) or possibly a 6th gen (96-00) in that price range. You won't need a warranty of any sorts if you get a Civic in nice shape. Look for one that's stock, i.e. not all riced/tuned out. That way, you know there is less chance that the car was flogged and raced hard.

If you don't know what you're looking for, have the car checked out by a trusted mechanic, specifically someone that specializes in import cars like Toyota/Honda.


--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: buying a car...advice? [Re: Holydiver]
    #5218069 -

Yeah the dealers seem so sketchy...

I got offered an 87 Honda Accord for free if I pay for the repair of a new head gasket, which I guess will cost at the most $1000. It's got like 150,000 miles.

Is it worth it or should I spend more money on something better?


--------------------
:hst:
Society in every form is a blessing,
but government at its best is but a necessary evil
 
- Thomas Paine

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: buying a car...advice? [Re: gluke bastid]
    #5218081 -

That's a good car, but it's almost 20 years old. Just wing a mid-to-late 90's Civic if you can. A newer car won't give you any problems.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: buying a car...advice? [Re: gluke bastid]
    #5218351 -

gluke bastid said:
I got offered an 87 Honda Accord for free if I pay for the repair of a new head gasket, which I guess will cost at the most $1000. It's got like 150,000 miles.





if you're near me, a honda head gasket is $500, generaly it's a 3 day turnaround
time at the machine shop, there could be a lot worse problems with the head than
the gasket if he;s driven it with a bad gasket

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: buying a car...advice? [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #5226843 -

I think I found my new baby

96 Accord DX. 4 door, manual transmission, leather interior, cd player, sun roof. 120k miles

$3600

If my mechanic gives me the thumbs up I'm buyin. Tired of borrowing my parents car everytime I need to get something done.


--------------------
:hst:
Society in every form is a blessing,
but government at its best is but a necessary evil
 
- Thomas Paine

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: buying a car...advice? [Re: gluke bastid]
    #5226849 -

I'm gonna try to get myself a nice '98 or '97 audi for around 6000-7000. Good cars.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: buying a car...advice? [Re: gluke bastid]
    #5227145 -

gluke bastid said:
96 Accord DX. 4 door, manual transmission, leather interior, cd player, sun roof. 120k miles
$3600





decent deal, just a little above the wholesale value

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* selling my car, need advice zorbman 3,883 10 06/09/04 08:56 PM
by Legoulash
* wow, i just had to push my car all the way home
( 1 2 all )
LethalX5 1,160 20 09/10/05 12:29 AM
by LethalX5
* do you love, hate or love and hate your car?
( 1 2 3 4 all )
diabla 7,170 64 08/31/05 06:10 PM
by goobler
* What kind of car would you buy?
( 1 2 3 4 all )
Signo 6,738 69 06/26/05 06:10 AM
by Tao
* Ever sold your car? Jellric 1,446 16 04/07/04 12:35 PM
by THEBOSS
* my car Gillette 1,552 10 10/12/04 03:45 PM
by John
* Car Trouble, Please Help DrunkenCowgirl 2,374 19 02/23/05 06:16 PM
by Anonymous
* First Day with Manual Transmission
( 1 2 all )
nanananotehead 2,571 32 12/19/04 08:57 PM
by HereFishyFishy

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
894 topic views. 4 members, 6 guests and 168 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.026 seconds spending 0.009 seconds on 16 queries.