Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Peat, Pressure Cooker, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinetomatofarmer
enthusiast
pasturizing casing mix
    #520151 - 01/14/02 08:16 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

i have read a tek somewhere about pasturizing your casing if u cant sterlize it...i have a pressure cooker but i have no bag...whats a way aroud this...im using T.H.E 50-50+ tek
-Lee

--------------------
I swear those mushrooms are going on my pizza officer!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMycoangelo
Re: pasturizing casing mix [Re: tomatofarmer]
    #521563 - 01/15/02 08:43 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

pressure cook it.
Just put the shit in a bowl, jars, milk jug, whatever.
actually the milk jug might melt.
buy craft clay, make yourself a coil pot that just fits inside your pressure cooker and use it to sterilize your shit.
or you could use an animal skull, or human skull, anything I suppose.

OfflinePapa_Bear
M-M GOOD!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Colorado
    #521759 - 01/16/02 12:10 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I am not sure of the timeing but experiment with the Microwave for sterilization! I have tried this with casings and it seems to work fine

Edited by Papa_Bear (01/16/02 04:40 AM)

Anonymous

#521888 - 01/16/02 02:19 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Go to the grocery store and buy some Oven Bags for cooking turkeys, chickens, roasts. they are REYNOLDS OVEN BAGS. They are located next to the aluminum foil, freezer bags, etc....
Get the large size, not the turkey size.
Fill bags only a 1/4 full with premoisten casing soil. use the closing nylon tie, the bags come with to close the bag.
DO NOT totally seal the bag, allow a small dime size hole to be open for steam release in the bag. Place something on top of the bag to prevent it from getting into the steam release valve of the cooker, VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!! My cooker is large and comes with two, racks, I put one on the bottom, and one on top of the bag. Pressure cook at 15 psi for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
Pastuerization works for alot of people, but it never works for me. You have to have a really clean grade of PEAT, or do alot of sifting to remove large pieces of wood, twigs. These are more difficult to clean via pastuerization, even sterilization and can cause major havock, during you beautiful flushes. Trichoderma, and various other soil borne fungi love to hide out inside these twigs. Better to sterilize then pastuerize, just my opinion!!!!
Cubensis and all the other Funny shrooms don't really show exceptional differences when growing with pastuerized casing versus sterilized casing.
Ph ajustment, is not NECESSARY, but can certainly help with slowing down any latent contamination that may still be present, or introduced later. The mushrooms themselves grow absolutely perfect regardless of the PH of the Casing soil. ph5-8, you will have trouble making a casing soil outside that range. Other species of edible and gourmet mushrooms have been shown to be less tolerant or absolutely dependent on substrate, and casing PH. In all my experience, I have yet to find a cubensis, or any other funny mushroom to have such dependencies. PH is about contaminant containment.
If pressure cooker is too small for bags of casing soil, just use canning JARS, whatever size will fit in the cooker.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Peat, Pressure Cooker, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation