Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Contamination Probabilities
    #5169989 -

Ok. If i inoculate the jars in a glove box, use tyvek on the jars, pressure cook my susbstrate jars correctly, and pressure cook the casing, what are my chances of getting contams? More importantly, im going to be using two cool mist humidifiers to supply FAE so that leaves it open to bacteria from not using a hepa. Does this risk my shrooms getting contaminated in the terrarium? If so, how can i filter my cool mist? Can i insert both of them into a rubbermaid with a hepa filter? yadayadayada, thanks for the help in advanced.


--------------------

Orissa India Bulk Grow (Tub Tek)
Bulk Steamer Pasteurizer Tek

"Our intention is our eternal fingerprint in the universe."

We know that God is good, and so are hamburgers and hot dogs. We know that hamburgers and hot dogs definitely do exist, so then by deduction of logic God too must also exist. Hamburgers + Hot dogs = God.... Duh

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Contamination Probabilities [Re: Akira]
    #5170092 -

:bongload:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Contamination Probabilities [Re: Mcdoopy]
    #5170154 -

Um.. Smoke? So if i smoke everything will be ok right? Ive actualy been blazed the entire project so i guess it will be a success!


--------------------

Orissa India Bulk Grow (Tub Tek)
Bulk Steamer Pasteurizer Tek

"Our intention is our eternal fingerprint in the universe."

We know that God is good, and so are hamburgers and hot dogs. We know that hamburgers and hot dogs definitely do exist, so then by deduction of logic God too must also exist. Hamburgers + Hot dogs = God.... Duh

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Contamination Probabilities [Re: Akira]
    #5170189 -

you have a high probability of success, thats about it.

If you were expecting a number use this formula to get your answer:  210*2/0 :wink:


--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

i really am glad you came back to us instead of taking the other path. *hug*

-A_S (RIP your final words to me will never be forgotten)



Don't fuck with the laughing jesus.

Edited by coda (01/12/06 12:01 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Contamination Probabilities [Re: Akira]
    #5170236 -

>>>>Ok. If i inoculate the jars in a glove box, use tyvek on the jars, pressure cook my susbstrate jars correctly, and pressure cook the casing, what are my chances of getting contams?

About 50/50  :grin:

>>>>More importantly, im going to be using two cool mist humidifiers to supply FAE so that leaves it open to bacteria from not using a hepa. Does this risk my shrooms getting contaminated in the terrarium?

The cool mists usually come with little filters. Either way, the FAE they provide is great for keeping contams away. I put about 1/4 cup of hydrogen peroxide in with each gallon... no hepa and no contams after running for over three months.

Rahz


--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love     truth awareness peace I am      I feel      I do     I love  I speak    I see    I know

why there is reality and patterned, law-like consistency at all, rather than noise or non-reality is not a question physics answers. It's a question physics presupposes an answer to in order to provide other answers.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Contamination Probabilities [Re: Rahz]
    #5170261 -

^^Yep, the FAE provided by the coolmist's will keep contam's at bay, as they only come onto the scene when there is stagnant air. As mentioned also, they have good little filters on them!


--------------------
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
-Hunter S. Thompson, RIP

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Contamination Probabilities [Re: xxanxx]
    #5170337 -

Awesome! Thank you so much guys. I was already contemplating of ideas on creating a filter system. No need on waisting the extra money now! Woot!

Any suggestions on ways to cover the air escape gap in order to use the whole method? Should i stuff it ith something, use AC tape, etc?


--------------------

Orissa India Bulk Grow (Tub Tek)
Bulk Steamer Pasteurizer Tek

"Our intention is our eternal fingerprint in the universe."

We know that God is good, and so are hamburgers and hot dogs. We know that hamburgers and hot dogs definitely do exist, so then by deduction of logic God too must also exist. Hamburgers + Hot dogs = God.... Duh

Edited by GodsEntelechy (01/12/06 12:47 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Contamination Probabilities [Re: Akira]
    #5170351 -

I slapped a piece of foil tape on mine, works good.

Rahz


--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love     truth awareness peace I am      I feel      I do     I love  I speak    I see    I know

why there is reality and patterned, law-like consistency at all, rather than noise or non-reality is not a question physics answers. It's a question physics presupposes an answer to in order to provide other answers.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Contamination Probabilities [Re: Akira]
    #5170355 -

There is no reason to even attempt to keep the fruiting chamber sterile. Filters are not required. As said above, air exchange is the key to avoiding contaminants.

Bacteria is the contaminant to watch for during colonization of your jars. Proper sterilization and cleanroom procedures will eliminate it from the brf. Once colonized, the myceium can fight bacteria off on its own.

Molds, such as trichoderma and cobweb are the contaminants to watch for in the fruiting chamber. Proper air exchange will prevent these. Pasteurize your casing mix, don't sterilize it. A sterilized casing will be more prone to contamination than a pasteurized one.
RR


--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms



semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Contamination Probabilities [Re: Akira]
    #5170370 -

oh, BTW:

>>>>im going to be using two cool mist humidifiers

unless you're doing a martha or something big, you only need 1. I'm running two 30 something gallon tubs with one cool mist, and I could probably hook another tub up.


--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love     truth awareness peace I am      I feel      I do     I love  I speak    I see    I know

why there is reality and patterned, law-like consistency at all, rather than noise or non-reality is not a question physics answers. It's a question physics presupposes an answer to in order to provide other answers.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Contamination Probabilities [Re: Rahz]
    #5170406 -

Yeah but i have two levels on my terrarium now, i need one cool mist for each level. Im going to be using my hygrometer to experiment with it tomorrow to test if an automatic timer will be necessary and if so how long they should be on.

Thanks Roger. Now they told me that the two Cool Mist will allow plenty of fresh FAE in my terrarium. I was thinking though, do i need some sort of vent to let old air out of terrarium? I am making my terrarium almost air tight, and the two cool mist will be throwing air in but their will be no way for air to go out. Does this matter? I was also thinking of adding one small fan to each level to keeo constant air flow. Is this good idea?

Another qestion. What is the difference between pasteuriing and steralizing? I thought they were the same thing.... :frown:





--------------------

Orissa India Bulk Grow (Tub Tek)
Bulk Steamer Pasteurizer Tek

"Our intention is our eternal fingerprint in the universe."

We know that God is good, and so are hamburgers and hot dogs. We know that hamburgers and hot dogs definitely do exist, so then by deduction of logic God too must also exist. Hamburgers + Hot dogs = God.... Duh

Edited by GodsEntelechy (01/12/06 01:19 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Contamination Probabilities [Re: Akira]
    #5170558 -

>>>>I am making my terrarium almost air tight, and the two cool mist will be throwing air in but their will be no way for air to go out. Does this matter?

So long as it's not truly air tight... the air will find a way out. But, if your exaust is constricted enough, you'll create a high pressure area, reduce the ammount of inflow, and put a strain on the ole cool mist. This can also cause your cool mist to leak water from it's seams. I'd drill an exhaust hole or two the size of the inflow. No need for a fan.

What is the difference between pasteuriing and steralizing?

At the top of the page, mouse over: Mushroom Information-Growing Mushrooms-Cultivation FAQ-Sterilization

Rahz


--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love     truth awareness peace I am      I feel      I do     I love  I speak    I see    I know

why there is reality and patterned, law-like consistency at all, rather than noise or non-reality is not a question physics answers. It's a question physics presupposes an answer to in order to provide other answers.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Contamination Probabilities [Re: Akira]
    #5170624 -

Get one of these, I have had far less contamns sence I got one...... 

no one can tell you odds on your stuff contaminating there are too many factors. Just use steril techniques, follow the techs on here, and you will do ok. Although I think kitties help lucky or something :wink:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Contamination Probabilities [Re: blueferret]
    #5171229 -

Wow, is that an Irish fightin' cat?

Rahz


--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love     truth awareness peace I am      I feel      I do     I love  I speak    I see    I know

why there is reality and patterned, law-like consistency at all, rather than noise or non-reality is not a question physics answers. It's a question physics presupposes an answer to in order to provide other answers.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Contamination Probabilities *DELETED* [Re: blueferret]
    #5171239 -

Post deleted by Orranis

Reason for deletion: gjbkl



--------------------
Life is a pill which none of us can bear to swallow without gilding.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Contamination Probabilities [Re: Orranis]
    #5171413 -

lol^ He uses the casing as cat liter. Thats the secret!


--------------------

Orissa India Bulk Grow (Tub Tek)
Bulk Steamer Pasteurizer Tek

"Our intention is our eternal fingerprint in the universe."

We know that God is good, and so are hamburgers and hot dogs. We know that hamburgers and hot dogs definitely do exist, so then by deduction of logic God too must also exist. Hamburgers + Hot dogs = God.... Duh

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Contamn cakes resin 659 4 10/17/02 03:42 PM
by Skikid16
* Important please read MushroomMatt 890 9 11/09/01 11:00 AM
by Billyblastoff
* Does this look like contamination to you? paranoid2 1,778 9 06/17/02 09:14 PM
by durban_poison
* Defeating the contamns? RespectTheFungus 564 5 09/09/03 08:50 PM
by GregHimself
* Identifying Contamination Genaro 1,136 2 10/02/01 10:34 PM
by Jammer
* Re: Sterile - Which step is most important...... Vorpal 984 5 04/22/00 11:00 PM
by Anonymous
* Very important question about change in Tek. mrdasani 998 4 11/10/01 09:45 PM
by sylo
* Need help with contanimation probability Gunther 549 1 04/29/02 11:26 PM
by angryshroom

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
1,168 topic views. 16 members, 202 guests and 236 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.031 seconds spending 0.011 seconds on 16 queries.