Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineGunther
Stranger
Need help with contanimation probability
    #622573 - 04/29/02 09:57 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Alright I'm a "noobie", let's just get that right out of the way. I did however search the forums before posting. How un-noobie of me. Well here it is. I've decided I'm going to grow 10 jars worth of a buddys strain. I have a light source, and I am using one inch of perlite with water at the bottom for humidity. The cakes will be sitting directly on the perlite. If this is not cool and I should get off my ass and buy wire mesh please explain why its so important. I will not have a drip shield either but if you think this is necessary please tell me why. Basically I only want to check it every 2 to 3 days. I am using a styrofoam cooler just big enough for 8 to 10 jars and therefore will not be able to check the water level. If I should buy a new container that is clear so I can see how much water I have at any one time because of evaporation or something please tell me why. Here is the real question though. This setup is going under a bed. Its not exactly clean and it doesnt exactly have the freshest air. Like any other bedroom. So here is what I am debating on. Should I install a computer fan at the top of terr. with two holes poked in the middle on either side for air exchange or BECAUSE of its location should I forget the whole thing. I can vacuum and stuff but the fact is it will still be under a bed. My worry is the fans will suck in some air from under the bed that will cause contamination. Should I worry, or just go for it?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Need help with contanimation probability [Re: Gunther]
    #622704 - 04/30/02 01:26 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

In reply to:

The cakes will be sitting directly on the perlite.

This is fine, however it can lead to contamination from the perlite. Ive had great sucess with this, however a quick and easy step is to just add a peice of tin foil with a few holes poked into it, and put the cakes on the individual tin foil peices.

In reply to:

Basically I only want to check it every 2 to 3 days.

Well, theres a number of different methods you can do for this.
1) Get a fish tank pump, and run a hose through so it gets fresh air.
2) Punch some small holes just above the perlite to let co2 out and get a little air exchange. You might want to plug them with some cotton balls or polyfill.
3) Just fan 1 time a day if you can

And, from personal experience: I had pins coming on my casings, and went on a 1 week vacation. When I came back, the mushrooms were fine, and big, big big. :smile:

Dont worry about the computer fan.

Try vaccuming before you set your terr. in there. Also, wouldnt hurt to spray the shit under your bed with lysol.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation