Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: Going Snowboarding for 1st time [Re: Spacemaster]
    #5150106 - 01/07/06 11:17 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I understand that, that is why my first post said no offense.

But then he attacked what an experienced snowboarder who also has been an instuctor said.

"and to tell me you dont place more weight on the
back foot when you carve is bullshit. lol"

Anyone who actually knows how to snowboard, knows that this will only make it harder for someone to complete a linked turn. Regardless of wether its skided or a carve.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleAliceDee
-L S D-
Male
Re: Going Snowboarding for 1st time [Re: hawksapprentice]
    #5150344 - 01/07/06 01:16 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

heres a good tip... when you fall... make fists and break your fall with them, dont wrap your arms around you to whoever said that.. when you tighten your fists that prevents broken wrists... ive broken both wrists and dislocated both shoulders all snowboarding (thats how ive learned)... your main way of breaking a fall is using your arms so whoever said that obviously has no clue what hes talking about... ive been snowboarding since i was in 5th grade....

Edited by AliceDee (01/07/06 01:20 PM)

InvisibleStonerguy
I smoke penis
Male

Loc: Lost
    #5150410 - 01/07/06 01:43 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Fuck being afraid of anything other than ICE. Can't turn, hard to stop on, and FUCKING HURTS WHEN YOU DO A SUPERMAN FALL INTO IT(Nice story behind that one. Ended up with a minor concusion.)

Edit: It shouldnt be that hard. The first time I went I was rode the steepest and longest hill there (Black diamond or some shit, this was in the eastern US though). Granted I fell a few times but came out doing decent in my opion.

--------------------
yawn...
SG

Edited by Stonerguy (01/07/06 01:47 PM)

Invisiblebuckwheat
Cynically Insane

Loc: Not Enough Characters to ...
Re: Going Snowboarding for 1st time [Re: AliceDee]
    #5150464 - 01/07/06 02:02 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

AliceDee said:
heres a good tip... when you fall... make fists and break your fall with them, dont wrap your arms around you to whoever said that.. when you tighten your fists that prevents broken wrists... ive broken both wrists and dislocated both shoulders all snowboarding (thats how ive learned)... your main way of breaking a fall is using your arms so whoever said that obviously has no clue what hes talking about... ive been snowboarding since i was in 5th grade....

I was the one that said it.It's simple proven physics and proven Martial arts falls.It works

"You have, say, a 150 pound body, dressed in a cotton training uniform, no pads, falling at a given speed. If you?re into recalling physics, you can calculate the rate by how far you drop your center of mass multiplied by the acceleration constant of a free-falling body. Don?t bother. If you drop 12 inches, it?s 150 foot-pounds plus a handful more for a short bit of acceleration. Triple the distance ? say, the height of being tossed over some cooperative opponent?s hip ? it goes up enough to really get your attention if you hit wrong. Or even break parts.

What is ?wrong?, or ?right? about hitting the deck? Easy. Your basic ?fall a few inches? test seems easy to you in the office, and pretty much is ? especially with the pad, however hard. Your 150 pounds is distributed over a goodly number of square inches of impact surface. If you have 75 square inches of body , and pad, surface hitting the floor at once, then the impact is 2 pounds per square inch. Piece of cake, your Grandma can do it. But if instead you stick out your elbow to be the first point you land on, well, that?s one square inch taking the whole 150 pounds, which feels quite different. Ratchet this up to someone who knows what they?re doing getting you up to the height of their shoulder and bringing you back down to the floor ? you discover that Sensei is saving you a lot of cracked bones and damaged internal organs by teaching you how to spread out that impact."

InvisibleStonerguy
I smoke penis
Male

Loc: Lost
Re: Going Snowboarding for 1st time [Re: buckwheat]
    #5150492 - 01/07/06 02:13 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah I awlways learnd to tuc my hand into my arm pits and try my best not to land on the head. Got taught it in karate. If you watch wrestling enought you sean when they body slam each other they keep straight bodies to land.

--------------------
yawn...
SG

InvisibleAliceDee
-L S D-
Male
    #5150502 - 01/07/06 02:15 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

ya but this is on snow... and your traveling at high speeds... sure that my be right for martial arts but not in snowboarding...

first of all you have a ton of padding.... your jacket and snow are the main pads... the reason for using your arms is so you dont flip out of control... if you wrap your arms around yourself traveling at high speeds and are about to fall now you have a chance of breaking your spine/neck from whiplash...

snow is very forgiving... ive flown over 20 feet into the air and falling straight on my ass and the snow just catches you and you dont even feel it...

InvisibleAliceDee
-L S D-
Male
    #5150523 - 01/07/06 02:21 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

also if you fall by wraping your arms around yourself and you dont break your spine/neck, it will feel like someone took a sledgehammer and pounded all the air out of your lungs...

Invisiblebuckwheat
Cynically Insane

Loc: Not Enough Characters to ...
    #5150556 - 01/07/06 02:33 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

AliceDee said:
ya but this is on snow... and your traveling at high speeds... sure that my be right for martial arts but not in snowboarding...

first of all you have a ton of padding.... your jacket and snow are the main pads... the reason for using your arms is so you don't flip out of control... if you wrap your arms around yourself traveling at high speeds and are about to fall now you have a chance of breaking your spine/neck from whiplash...

snow is very forgiving... Ive flown over 20 feet into the air and falling straight on my ass and the snow just catches you and you don't even feel it...

I agree that in slow falls your hands could help you from breaking your tail bone or stopping in the snow. or maybe even use your hands to take some of the impact if you're about to land head first and cant position yourself.But otherwise if you know your gonna take a very hard hit it should translate well to snowboarding and using your extremities in that case is the last thing you want. if it works for motorcycle racing which is where i got that from it defiantly should for snowboarding.I remember hearing that a fall from 5ft at 100mph is the same as a fall from 5 ft at 3mph your body will still fall at the same speed vertically.Thats how motorcycle racers survive 200mph spills quite frequently unless they come to a sudden stop like hitting a wall then speed would matter quite a bit.

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

#5156772 - 01/09/06 01:17 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I wonder how he faired up there.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
    #5157389 - 01/09/06 06:09 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Faired pretty well, though got bruised a bit. I had a bit of trouble carving...when I tried to turn more than around 20 degrees or so in either direction I ended up digging in with my toes or heels too much and just fell or flipped. Also there were people all over the place so I had to fall a few time just to avoid hitting them since I couldn't stop worth anything.

It was a good time though. Next time I'm definitely going to take lessons. I ended up with bruises on my ass, wrist, and shoulder, and everywhere else pretty much just aches.

Definitely a good time though.

--------------------
"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Re: Going Snowboarding for 1st time [Re: dblaney]
    #5157467 - 01/09/06 08:06 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Thats the way most people end up their first time snowboarding. The more you go the less you fall down, the less you hurt, the more fun you have. And as I said lessons really do help with the learning curve. It can take a long time to really refine your riding so you actually look good doing it. Some people earlier said that they did very well their first time and what not, but I can guarantee they did not have good form.

Don't listen to that back leg bullshit. Putting more weight on your front foot, while instinct will tell you to go on your back, will make turning alot easier on you. Good luck dude and stick with it. Once your proficient at it you will get addicted i guarantee it.

--------------------

Edward Abbey

Jump to top. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Community >> The Pub