Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Sterilite 116Qt Bin Sealing?
    #5131506 -

So a foaf bought this sterilite 116 quart bin and I pointed out to him that it's not sealed completely. The handles lock down on it, but otherwise around the rim of the container it is fairly loose. Another friend recommended maybe some weather stripping but I wanted to see if anyone here had any other good ideas.

Pic of what I got:
http://www.coastalbaycompany.com/s1990.html


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Sterilite 116Qt Bin Sealing? [Re: PoC]
    #5131517 -

What's your friend using it for? Incubator, fruiting chamber, bathing?


--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Sterilite 116Qt Bin Sealing? [Re: FooMan]
    #5131523 -

He is using it as a fruiting chamber...


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Sterilite 116Qt Bin Sealing? [Re: PoC]
    #5131546 -

Casings, cakes? For casings he'll be OK. For cakes he needs close to 100% humidity so I'd tell him to get a hygrometer to check the humidity once he has it set up. I have had no problems with similar containers. If he does have a problem, use some silicone sealant and lay a line of it around the rim. I've seen people use some kind of rubber weather stripping also.


--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Sterilite 116Qt Bin Sealing? [Re: PoC]
    #5131547 -

almost anything will work. ive put 8 layers of duct tape on the rim of a tub to make a better seal. weather stripping would work too. buy some rubber tubing and cut it into strips and place along the rim for a really nice seal.


--------------------




xxx..Learn Something..xxx

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Sterilite 116Qt Bin Sealing? [Re: FooMan]
    #5131554 -

FooManShroom said:
use some silicone sealant and lay a line of it around the rim.



:thumbup:
that stuff is a must have for cultivation.


--------------------




xxx..Learn Something..xxx

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Sterilite 116Qt Bin Sealing? [Re: FooMan]
    #5131558 -


It does not need to be completely sealed...though it could help depending on the use...

For my gloveless box......I don't use built in gloves...mine looks just like that one...

I used Silicone on the Lid...A nice think bead...I have a fan in the box and did not want to loose any air pressure..


--------------------


Atheist Chat

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Sterilite 116Qt Bin Sealing? [Re: PoC]
    #5131583 -

Hrm...is silicone sealant easy to work with? Is it easy to get an even layer of it around the whole rim do you think? That's a very good suggestion that I hadn't really remembered.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Sterilite 116Qt Bin Sealing? [Re: Snaggletooth]
    #5131590 -

I use the exact same product, exact same size. I have 12 half dollar or smaller sized holes in the top and 4 of the same size on each long side. With one occasional spray of water from my mister, the humidity will remain between 87-91% for days at a time. The humidity where I live, inside, is about 20-25%. I have no problems with it.


--------------------
channel your inner Larry David

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Sterilite 116Qt Bin Sealing? [Re: PoC]
    #5131594 -

Like I said, you may not need anything at all, but if you do the silicone works well. Oh yeah, make sure it's dried completely before you put the lid back on! :smirk:


--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Sterilite 116Qt Bin Sealing? [Re: PoC]
    #5131595 -

Yes....It is easily to remove if needed and very easy to work with...


--------------------


Atheist Chat

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Sterilite 116Qt Bin Sealing? [Re: PoC]
    #5131601 -

I have the same bin for my FC and silicone doesn't stick to the plastic, it pulls right off! The tubing idea and the duct tape sounds good. I don't even worry about it though, NP's here. Mine shuts pretty tight with those clips on the side.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Sterilite 116Qt Bin Sealing? [Re: JoeyShmoey]
    #5131662 -

The biggest enemy in a fruiting chamber is stale air, not low humidity. Don't seal the lid. In fact, I wouldn't even snap the locks on the sides. Put a 2" layer of damp, not wet perlite in the bottom and you'll have 95% or better humidity without any sealing at all. I have that same size container and it maintains humidity just fine with the lid put on at an angle so all four corners are open. Remember, you need air exchange in a fruiting chamber. Lots of it.
RR


--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms



semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Sterilite 116Qt Bin Sealing? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #5131689 -

RogerRabbit said:
The biggest enemy in a fruiting chamber is stale air, not low humidity. Don't seal the lid. In fact, I wouldn't even snap the locks on the sides. Put a 2" layer of damp, not wet perlite in the bottom and you'll have 95% or better humidity without any sealing at all. I have that same size container and it maintains humidity just fine with the lid put on at an angle so all four corners are open. Remember, you need air exchange in a fruiting chamber. Lots of it.
RR



I think he's going to put holes in the lid with filter discs rather than have the chamber open. The idea of a bug getting in there makes me cringe.

The sealant idea sounded great but if it doesn't work with this particular plastic very well, my friend'll most likely go with the weather stripping or rubber tubing cut in half. Thanks for all of the input!!


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Good Alternative to a 'double bin with water' Incubator ~Pic felix 1,733 10 04/05/03 06:31 PM
by felix
* silicone THEDANGLER 1,021 11 11/15/04 02:26 PM
by lesstutrey
* Homemade Self-Sealing Injector site
( 1 2 all )
Jon_Doe 5,215 25 12/29/03 02:07 AM
by shirley knott
* Sterilite bins aeonblue 1,233 4 10/20/02 06:50 AM
by TinMan
* Binding Lexan or Plexiglas to Polypropylene (sterilite) psyphon 4,483 15 06/15/14 02:22 PM
by RogerRabbit
* Complete Professional Growing Tek
( 1 2 3 all )
bluhoney 24,234 43 04/15/24 03:10 PM
by stasis
* Glad Press&Seal wrap mutants *Pics*
( 1 2 all )
hydr0420 4,760 27 07/13/04 04:10 AM
by Tantalus
* Rust Color Contam? Silicon Fumes? Bleh. wicc 1,972 7 08/08/01 03:44 PM
by nestafy

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
1,528 topic views. 9 members, 50 guests and 129 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.035 seconds spending 0.01 seconds on 16 queries.