Home | Community | Message Board

PlanetSpores.ca
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
Re: I Don't Like Tool... [Re: absolute zero]
    #4949539 -

Yrtlzmo said:
Why do you have to be on drugs to appreciate the music? I don't understand, if mixing up your senses is the only way to "really" get it then I can't imagine that's a good argument for Tool.

Sidenote: I feel I might be insane, no one sees things the way I do, so either I'm insane, or everyone else is.



you don't, but when you've listened to tool for a few years then you sit down and get high and notice something new that completely blows you away, it's a nice experience.

I mean it's like, Tool sober trips you out a little bit, but they seem to operate in altered states of mind (supposedly made lateralus on LSD) so..... I don't know.
art said:
well put leery11. 
Have you ever read any of the sheet music for Tool? 



No, that would sure be interesting to see.....
Quote:
I don't think he means that you need to be on drugs to appreciate Tool.  I have actually never listened to Tool while on any sort of drug, but I can see how it would be amazing.  I think he is saying that being high brings out a different side to Tool, just like it does to many other things.  You can still enjoy and appreciate music sober, and then find something new while high. 




Yeah pretty much, but more like.... Tool incorporates altered states of mind INTO their music, on some sort of level. Danny alone has this sort of tribal shamanic drumming going on, and it makes me think they reach this sort of "trance resonance" while playing..... which is something I really want to do with people when I jam, but don't have the unity I need..... or generally the musical ability.

I mean, for example if you drum at a theta level (3-4 beats per second I think) it eventually takes you into a visionary state.....

Quote:
So what bands would you consider to be better than Tool?  Which ones build up tension better?



I don't know if this is addressed at me or not... but Godspeed You! Black Emperor is way out there... very psychedelic, seemingly incorporated binaural tones to take you into various states.... very very long instrumental stuff.... it's great.

I'd recommend them to people who enjoy Tool not because of their "heaviness" but because of their psychedelic side... though they dont' really have anything to do with Tool.
Redstorm said:
Explosions in the Sky is awesome.

:thumbup:

Anything by Dredg on the albums Leitmotif and El Cielo is more technically skilled than Tool as well.



Dredg is an amazing band but.... factoring in Danny and his drumming there's no way you could call them more "technical" (IMO) and... at any rate they are a completely different style of music.

If you can find it download the album Waterborn by them, it's a 20 minute movie soundtrack, all instrumental, and deliciously mellow and dreamy..... it seems to be made in 2005 too, which is good because I didn't like the way their new album Catch Without Arms went... Dredg is a band that has so much potential to do some really mind expanding stuff, especially LIVE ... but they need to shy away from the radio friendly pop punk vibe that their new album puts off.....

Well, my opinion anyway.... to differentiate themselves and do something out there, but with that "dredg feeling to it"

(they're amazing live though...)


--------------------
I am the MacDaddy of Heimlich County, I play it Straight Up Yo!

....I embrace my desire to feel the rhythm, to feel connected enough to step aside and weep like a widow, to feel inspired, to fathom the power, to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain, to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human......
Om Namah Shivaya, I tell you What!

Edited by leery11 (11/17/05 11:15 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I Don't Like Tool... [Re: Redstorm]
    #4953879 -

Redstorm said:
Anything by Dredg on the albums Leitmotif and El Cielo is more technically skilled than Tool as well.



To my mind, that doesn't sound fair. Tool has been making music longer than dredg, and as a fan of both, I've gotta say that Tool seems quite a bit more sophisticated technically than dredg.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I Don't Like Tool... [Re: chunder]
    #4954220 -
Log in to view attachment

I concur.

Here's another song for you.

One I've recently learned how to play.


--------------------

The secret to being funny is to say smart things stupidly, or is it stupid things smartly? Whatever..it's not rocket surgery...or something like that.

Edited by Desiree (11/19/05 12:22 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Tool's Lateralus
( 1 2 3 all )
Sclorch 5,680 40 11/24/03 11:01 AM
by chunder
* SHOW YOUR TOOLS AND SKILLS. (A.H.P. COMP.) Fliquid 1,161 13 03/03/03 01:54 AM
by doCtR_diSCreeT
* tool
( 1 2 all )
g0dmoney 3,302 26 01/22/03 05:52 PM
by Murex
* Tool Movie? neverwhere 698 2 06/07/01 06:01 AM
by Tec-9
* Re: Tool Anonymous 1,441 8 06/09/00 02:26 AM
by Anonymous
* New TOOL CD.. ThirdEye0pen 1,054 2 09/06/01 09:45 PM
by sHemp13
* Don Juan LittleBen 1,496 11 09/29/02 04:28 AM
by Xlea321
* TooL & The Spirit of Cannabis EuphoricBlue 1,397 15 05/06/03 05:17 AM
by Sheepish

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, automan, DividedQuantum
3,774 topic views. 0 members, 3 guests and 21 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.024 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 17 queries.