Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |  [ show all ]
. [Re: idiotek]
    #4942945 -

.

Edited by Yrtlzmo (02/07/13 05:37 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I Don't Like Tool... [Re: Guerrilla0726]
    #4942952 -

Danny's drumming is mind blowing on drugs.....

just the first 10 seconds of the grudge......

I like Tool because they know how to take you into altered states [mainly with Lateralus and somewhat with Salival], and if you're already in altereted states to begin with.......

They know how to mess with your head, the drumming is amazing and though the guitar riffs can be repetetive, in the right mindset you wouldn't want them any other way, they really strike a resonance in their subtle simplicity, yet creative pacing.... the way everything flows with TICKS AND LEECHES is a mindfuck.... it's something I never even noticed how complex it is until I got high one day.... there's just something about it because of the way Danny drums to it and ... just how everything clicks, its so frantic and raw, but the power kind of feels like it's on YOUR side, not like it's something to freak out while listening to.

(though the backwards talking and gibberish is kind of freaky)


--------------------
I am the MacDaddy of Heimlich County, I play it Straight Up Yo!

....I embrace my desire to feel the rhythm, to feel connected enough to step aside and weep like a widow, to feel inspired, to fathom the power, to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain, to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human......
Om Namah Shivaya, I tell you What!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
. [Re: leery11]
    #4942992 -

.

Edited by Yrtlzmo (02/03/13 11:55 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I Don't Like Tool... [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #4943107 -





One of the best things about Tool is that almost all of their songs build to a climax (affectionately known as a "Toolgasm.")  I don't know where you got the idea that Tool is static and repetitive.



toolgasm....  :laugh: hehe

in my home town there is a mentally ill homeless man named teddy... teddy is a desert storm veteren who seems to have no one to personally care for him. i've given him food, new clothing and blankets when i can. my mom has driven him to the local salvation army building when he needed longer term shelter. there are others in my town who look out for him also. when teddy gets excited he begins to kind of moan

toooooooooooooooooooooollllllllllllllllllll

over and over... this thread has got me thinking...

:peace:
cateyes

Edited by cateyes (11/16/05 07:02 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I Don't Like Tool... [Re: Yrtlzmo]
    #4943114 -

Yrtlzmo said:
Why do you have to be on drugs to appreciate the music? I don't understand, if mixing up your senses is the only way to "really" get it then I can't imagine that's a good argument for Tool.

Sidenote: I feel I might be insane, no one sees things the way I do, so either I'm insane, or everyone else is.



no... you're quite sane... i was thinking the same thing.

:peace:
cateyes

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I Don't Like Tool... [Re: cateyes]
    #4943981 -

well put leery11.
Have you ever read any of the sheet music for Tool? I was just looking at the drum solo from The Grudge, and damn is it insane. The drumming in Schism is pretty crazy too. while reading it it is hard to see how something like that could work, but then when you listen to the song it fits perfectly.

I don't think he means that you need to be on drugs to appreciate Tool. I have actually never listened to Tool while on any sort of drug, but I can see how it would be amazing. I think he is saying that being high brings out a different side to Tool, just like it does to many other things. You can still enjoy and appreciate music sober, and then find something new while high.


Everyone has some bands that they just don't like. I really dislike the beatles, the rolling stones, and Ella Fitzgerald (although I like opera, death metal, rap). I think that is what makes art so great. No one has the exact same taste.

So what bands would you consider to be better than Tool? Which ones build up tension better?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
. [Re: art]
    #4944063 -

.

Edited by Yrtlzmo (02/06/13 02:02 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I Don't Like Tool... [Re: Yrtlzmo]
    #4944254 -

Yrtlzmo said:
Sidenote: I feel I might be insane, no one sees things the way I do, so either I'm insane, or everyone else is.



No one, I think, is in my tree,
I mean, it must be high or low.
That is, you can't, you know, tune in but it's alright,
That is, I think it's not too bad.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I Don't Like Tool... [Re: PinballWizard]
    #4944379 -

they are pretty good! I have never heard of them before.
I could see the tension but I don't know if I felt it (not sure if that makes sense). It did not seem nearly as emotional and deep as some of Tool's stuff, like Sober. I really liked that song. They sound like they would be amazing while tripping. I think I am going to have to buy some of there stuff. I really liked how unique they were, I can't think of any other band that sounds like them.

The thing that bothered me the most was that it seemed to take to long to get to the climax. The ending climax was cool, but it was to sudden for me. I like how Tool will start to build up tension and then go back down, build up tension then go back down. The drumming was cool, but no where near Tool. I only listened to the song once, so I might need to listen to it some more to really get into it.

Overall I really liked the song, and I am going to go check out some more of there stuff. Although I do not like them as much as Tool, it was my first time listening so who knows how I will feel after I listen to some more.

Thanks man, I love listening to new bands.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I Don't Like Tool... [Re: Yrtlzmo]
    #4944426 -

Explosions in the Sky is awesome.

:thumbup:

Anything by Dredg on the albums Leitmotif and El Cielo is more technically skilled than Tool as well.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I Don't Like Tool... [Re: Redstorm]
    #4944473 -

I just started listening to dredge...pretty good!


--------------------

The secret to being funny is to say smart things stupidly, or is it stupid things smartly? Whatever..it's not rocket surgery...or something like that.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I Don't Like Tool... [Re: Yrtlzmo]
    #4944890 -

work on your own reading skills chief, cause i already said i didn't care if you like them or not.  you insulted tool fans just cos you don't like their music.. then tried to downplay their skills.  i made a counterpoint to that, and you responded with some typical music-snobbish remarks.

big surprise that you didn't address points i made once again.  just a bunch of pretentious shit attempting to pass you off as being indifferent.. which, by the way makes a whole lot of sense considering you've replied to everything i've said - obviously it's more important to you than you're implying.  i'm soooo upset right now, let me tell you, i should calm down for my own sake.  :rolleyes:

whatever tho, thanks for the song..

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I Don't Like Tool... [Re: PinballWizard]
    #4944986 -

It's all a matter of taste. I wouldn't say they suck if I were you, you could just say that they aren't your taste. I hear types of music I like, and it could be good, just not my taste.


Maynard sold his soul to make a record.....and I bought one.  :rolleyes:


--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I Don't Like Tool... [Re: idiotek]
    #4944998 -

I used to not like tool. Now I like tool. Tool is an acquired taste. It takes a while to get into them.

It might help to listen to some king crimson first. See, Tool is really hard to get into, but pretty much what tool is doing is similar to king crimson, with the odd meters, unusual buildups and shit. Only tool tends towards being heavier. So, if you could first get into some king crimson, this might help make the leap to tool. Also, if the hardness of tool is a turn off, get the tool string quartet album thing. Then you can hear the melodic, harmonic, and rythmic stuff without the hard edge. Also, listen to bartok string quartets, and you might notice some rythmic similarities.

Really, tool is a super good band. But they are an acquired taste. Getting into them might involve first getting into other things that are similar.

The time tool really clicked for me is when I had a lyrics sheet in front of me, was really stoned, and read along with the lyrics as the music went.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I Don't Like Tool... [Re: tomk2]
    #4947670 -

Definatly an aquired taste. when I first began to like them I started listening to them more and more and music kept hitting me deeper and deeper and they sounded better and better.

Yrtlzmo

Listening to that makes me feel like tool songs are peaking multiple times.


--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

Edited by bellylard (11/17/05 04:55 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
. [Re: idiotek]
    #4948005 -

.

Edited by Yrtlzmo (02/07/13 05:39 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I Don't Like Tool... [Re: Yrtlzmo]
    #4948566 -

Yrtlzmo said:
Thanks for the analysis you've formed on me from a few posts. The thing is that you honestly come off as angry, in your posts, it's the tone.

I'm sorry I didn't reply to everything, or mostly anything. After being on message boards for 5 years you stop caring a lot about internet arguments. I pick and choose, this is just one of them.

And I don't remember what I said about Tool fans anymore, just that it involved "most" of them, which is something no Tool fan can come to terms with, for fear that they might be one of them. I could find out by going back one page, but the only reason I come back is to defend my glorious message board honor, seriously.



huh?


--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
. [Re: barfightlard]
    #4949277 -

.

Edited by Yrtlzmo (02/07/13 05:39 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I Don't Like Tool... [Re: PinballWizard]
    #4949410 -

46&2 is pretty high on my list, but its still a little heavy, so you might not like it :smile:

If you don't like them, don't force it.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I Don't Like Tool... [Re: Yrtlzmo]
    #4949425 -

Yrtlzmo said:
I don't think it's worth it to try to make yourself like a group, especially one such as Tool.

The name of the band refelcts the type of fanbase they've acquired really well.

Most Tool fans are way too dedicated to such a mediocre band.

"Maynard is a genius" is the first thing I think of when I think of Tool fans.



Can you say FLAMEBAIT?

I mean, you seem like a decent guy from other posts, but seriously, this is just ridiculous.

I completely agree that someone should not try to force themselves to like a particular band, but your post is constructed in a way that demeans fans of a band that this thread is centered around.


--------------------

Edited by Zero__Glass (11/17/05 10:51 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Tool's Lateralus
( 1 2 3 all )
Sclorch 5,680 40 11/24/03 11:01 AM
by chunder
* SHOW YOUR TOOLS AND SKILLS. (A.H.P. COMP.) Fliquid 1,161 13 03/03/03 01:54 AM
by doCtR_diSCreeT
* tool
( 1 2 all )
g0dmoney 3,302 26 01/22/03 05:52 PM
by Murex
* Tool Movie? neverwhere 698 2 06/07/01 06:01 AM
by Tec-9
* Re: Tool Anonymous 1,441 8 06/09/00 02:26 AM
by Anonymous
* New TOOL CD.. ThirdEye0pen 1,054 2 09/06/01 09:45 PM
by sHemp13
* Don Juan LittleBen 1,496 11 09/29/02 04:28 AM
by Xlea321
* TooL & The Spirit of Cannabis EuphoricBlue 1,398 15 05/06/03 05:17 AM
by Sheepish

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, automan, DividedQuantum
3,774 topic views. 1 members, 0 guests and 3 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.03 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 18 queries.