Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |  [ show all ]
Re: I Don't Like Tool... [Re: bugi_bi]
    #4936040 -
Log in to view attachment

I happen to LOVE tool. I wouldn't try and convince anyone to llike or dislike anything. To each his own.
maybe they're not for you.

Believe it or not, the song that got me hooked was Eulogy. That was the very first tool song I heard.


--------------------

The secret to being funny is to say smart things stupidly, or is it stupid things smartly? Whatever..it's not rocket surgery...or something like that.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I Don't Like Tool... [Re: PinballWizard]
    #4936479 -

Get "Pushit" and "You Lied" from the live album, Salival. That will be Tool at their most psychedelic.


--------------------
Supercollider? I just met her!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I Don't Like Tool... [Re: PinballWizard]
    #4936487 -

You know, it's interesting that you say Tool is too heavy for you, because when I first heard the Grateful Dead, I thought they were too mellow for me. If I can learn to appreciate their mellow music, then I hope you can learn to appreciate Tool's heaviness. Some of the heaviest moments of their songs are like emotional peaks for me, where I just lose myself in the intensity. That's why I like tripping to them so much. But one thing you'll find about Tool is that it's not an "angry" sort of heaviness like you find in a lot of metal. It's more of a psychedelic heaviness, and once you can learn to appreciate that, you'll be well on your way to being a Tool fan. That's why I recommend either tripping or getting really stoned and then listening to Lateralus the whole way through. I've played that album for a few people who were not Tool fans prior to that, and they were all impressed.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I Don't Like Tool... [Re: PinballWizard]
    #4936800 -

Repeated listenings to Pushit from Salival usually do the trick. THAT is one powerful song.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I Don't Like Tool... [Re: Revelation]
    #4936986 -

Soularize you forgot to finish the quote from my earlier post, here it is:
"The songs just reinforce the heaviness over and over."

The songs don't really build up but it's the kind of song where you can just let yourself get taken over by it, so it eventually feels like the song has been on some climax the whole time. The difference between TOOL and other bands is that TOOL sometimes is SLOW music, and they play it beautifully.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I Don't Like Tool... [Re: Yrtlzmo]
    #4937989 -

I'm perfectly calm, dude. in fact, i don't really care to argue this at all considering it's about music taste. that sort of thing is inane to debate.

to call a band "simple" because you do not like their music is purely ignorant. obviously you have extremely limited knowledge of the logistics of music because if you did you would recognize their extremely well-composed structures - not to mention the nasty drum solos and time signatures performed by Danny Carrey. I dare say you'd have a hard time finding another drummer that can recreate some of the off-tempo things he does particularly on Aenima & Lateralus. but you wouldn't know that because you probably have never listened to either of those albums at length.. and if you have, then it certainly went right over your head.

i couldn't care less if you like them or not, but you can't logically generalize their entire audience just because you don't like their music and disagree with people who do.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I Don't Like Tool... [Re: idiotek]
    #4938594 -

I've listened to a few of their songs, and they still seem just OK. There are some cool parts to the songs, but I just get tired of the drop-d power chord thing over and over. I will admit though that they are good for their genre.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
. [Re: idiotek]
    #4938663 -

.

Edited by Yrtlzmo (02/06/13 02:02 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I Don't Like Tool... [Re: Yrtlzmo]
    #4939555 -

it took me awhile to get into Tool but the song that did me in was...


Forty Six and 2
or
The patient

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I Don't Like Tool... [Re: LooksLikeRain]
    #4939633 -

BLEH

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I Don't Like Tool... [Re: PinballWizard]
    #4939785 -

I like Tool - I've been listening to their music since I was in high school. Download some shit, listen to it -- if you don't like it, don't bother.

Just stay away from their concerts - you won't find a higher concentration of high-school losers outside of high school.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I Don't Like Tool... [Re: phi1618]
    #4939857 -

phi1618 said:
Just stay away from their concerts - you won't find a higher concentration of high-school losers outside of high school.



When I went to see Tool, I wasn't focused on the crowd. They put on one of the best shows I've ever seen.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I Don't Like Tool... [Re: PinballWizard]
    #4939873 -

I dont like tool either, but then again, I am not into rock music that much...I find the format often uninspired and I am usually disappointed by lyric quality. There are exceptions, of course and tool is not one of them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I Don't Like Tool... [Re: Yrtlzmo]
    #4940043 -

All I'm seeing is a pathetic attempt to be condescending. You didn't address any of my points, particularly the stuff about the actual music itself or your own ignorance about it other than what you like or dislike. Saying "most" is not the same as saying "90%". You never listed that number. So don't tell me I have trouble reading; I think the problem is that you have trouble backing up your own bullshit comments that have no foundation aside from your own bias.

Like I said, you obviously don't know anything about the technicalities of music and you're having a really hard time convincing me that you've ever even listened to their songs. If you haven't, then you have no room to even speak about their music. Go ahead and try to find one single song that even somewhat resembles Godsmack or Rage. I doubt you could even make that comparison to their older stuff from Opiate or Undertow. It just isn't there.


I've heard Explosions In the Sky, I used to listen to them quite a bit. Just some random live shit I downloaded but I had to reformat my computer and didn't have a backup copy so I lost it. Good stuff, though. Also, you can't compare a band like that to Tool. That would be like saying.. "hey, Pantera sucks, listen to Boards of Canada you retard."


Just grow up and realize that because you don't like something doesn't mean that those who do are below you. There's just no need to be a pretentious dicksmack about it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I Don't Like Tool... [Re: PinballWizard]
    #4940979 -

It's cool that you want to like Tool. It's worth exploring further. I can't recommend THE song that will change your opinion, but I'll suggest that you start with Aenima rather than Lateralus. To me it's a far superior effort. I like Lateralus, but I just don't think it's in the same league. Lateralus is more boring and heavy. Most Tool fans I encounter these days started liking them when Lateralus came out.

Songs I recommend, in order:

*Stinkfist (Aenima)*
Swamp Song (Undertow)
Eulogy (Aenima)
jimmy (Aenima)


If you didn't like those songs, give up on Tool. If you did like them, then I recommend:

Third Eye (Aenima)
Pushit (Aenima)
Disposition/Reflection/Triad (Lateralus)


--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I Don't Like Tool... [Re: Soularize]
    #4940992 -

Quote:
that is exactly the opposite of what good music, at least good rock music, is supposed to achieve...

A great song (usually) builds and builds and builds until it reaches this powerfully divine moment, abrupt and brief or gradual and drawn-out...whatever...but the music reaches this powerful moment, a breaking point if you will. if you really think about this, you'll realize that MOST of the greatest music contains this type of build-up and release of energy.




I call your bluff. You haven't heard much Tool. One of the best things about Tool is that almost all of their songs build to a climax (affectionately known as a "Toolgasm.") I don't know where you got the idea that Tool is static and repetitive.


--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I Don't Like Tool... [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #4941944 -

ever see the wierd shit in thier albums....

In "Undertow":
behind the gray holding disc tray part of thier cd, is a cow licking its ass

The album that has "stinkfist" on it has the these words listed at the end of thier cd art:

see you auntie

did not know what it meant until you spell what you see out loud:

c u n t see you auntie c u nt ...wierd shit.....


--------------------
“I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I Don't Like Tool... [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #4942011 -

well since musical taste is subjective, i wont waste much of my time arguing with you over 'why Tool sucks and is overrated'.

you didnt "call my bluff". I personally don't hear much change in the melody or riffs during a Tool song. Ive listened to a few of their albums all the way through.

I listen to hundreds upon hundreds of bands, and at least half of them are more original and talented than Tool...yes, IMO.

dont get your panties in a twist if somebody doesnt share your personal taste or opinion in music...alot of us don't even hear the same thing when listening to a given song. Every person comes from their own individual background and has a mind and personality made up of millions of various things theyve experienced while growing up...this is why music is subjective.

Enjoy your Tool and have a nice day  :biggrin:


--------------------
"All but one man died. There at Bitter Creek. And they say he ran awayyy." - A little show called Branded

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I Don't Like Tool... [Re: Soularize]
    #4942080 -

So what bands would you guys (people who dislike tool) consider to be better than tool?

Personally, I love tool. they are one of my favorite bands. Danny Carrey is one of my favorite drummers. Has anyone else tried to play any of his stuff? It is crazy! The thing that I like about his drumming is not the fact that it is complex, but how it flows with the music, everything just blends together perfectly.

I am also confused as to why people think that Tool does not build up to a climax? I always thought they did, and that is what I love about Tool, all of the tension. Maybe I am just confused on to what you guys mean.

Don't try and force yourself to like them but don't just give up on them. I have found that it took me awhile to get into many of my favorite bands. Just every once in awhile throw on a tool song. Get some of the drum music, if you can not read it, then have someone try and explain it to you. Listen to how it flows with the rest of the music. Maybe Tool just isn't for you. There are a lot of very popular bands that I do not like, and I really do not know why.



Has anyone heard the group, I think they are called third eye open? They are a strings group that plays tool songs. All I can say is wow. Their version of sober is amazing. I must admit that I am disappointed with their lack of climax, but it is still a great song.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I Don't Like Tool... [Re: art]
    #4942289 -

Quote:
I am also confused as to why people think that Tool does not build up to a climax? I always thought they did, and that is what I love about Tool, all of the tension. Maybe I am just confused on to what you guys mean.



Yeah it is hard to define. If you smoke or trip and then listen carefully you can sense the feelings and emotion that build up and are going somewhere.

Personally I think Phish does this build up the best. Sometimes you can't even tell if it built up, it just IS. Phish is hard to describe. Nobody else mixes tunes and instruments quite the way they do.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Tool's Lateralus
( 1 2 3 all )
Sclorch 5,684 40 11/24/03 11:01 AM
by chunder
* SHOW YOUR TOOLS AND SKILLS. (A.H.P. COMP.) Fliquid 1,161 13 03/03/03 01:54 AM
by doCtR_diSCreeT
* tool
( 1 2 all )
g0dmoney 3,302 26 01/22/03 05:52 PM
by Murex
* Tool Movie? neverwhere 699 2 06/07/01 06:01 AM
by Tec-9
* Re: Tool Anonymous 1,442 8 06/09/00 02:26 AM
by Anonymous
* New TOOL CD.. ThirdEye0pen 1,054 2 09/06/01 09:45 PM
by sHemp13
* Don Juan LittleBen 1,497 11 09/29/02 04:28 AM
by Xlea321
* TooL & The Spirit of Cannabis EuphoricBlue 1,400 15 05/06/03 05:17 AM
by Sheepish

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, automan, DividedQuantum
3,774 topic views. 0 members, 0 guests and 7 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.025 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 16 queries.