Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Dessicant

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineHARRY
journeyman
DRYING
    #493845 - 12/17/01 04:38 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Ok. I've got a bit of a drying problem, I bought some proper deccicant (used to dry wet rooms for painting) and constructed something similar to what MMG suggests (a tupperwarwe container which has three levels devided by wire mesh on the lowest wire "shelf" you put the calcium hydroxide and on the shelf above you put your shrooms, the water is meant to go to the bottom of the tupperware container(above which is the calcium hydroxide 'shelf'). This seemed like an ingenious device but in practice it quite crap. What happens is the water sticks the calcium flakes together to form a solid lump of calcium hydroxide, this ofcourse reduces the efficiency (less surface area). So what I started doing is putting tissue paper in between the calcium and the shroom shelf, this collected all the liquid (which seems really oily rather than watery) and every two days i'd replace the tissue with a dry one. This worked quite well for a week, but then my cakes started fruiting like mad producing tons of shrooms, so putting them in the box i found that they hardly dried at all, today I found a couple of shrooms started to develop this white mold on them, I chucked those, now I'm paniking, I have no money for a fan or anything else, and my shrooms are molding.

What I did do is stick all the shrooms into my fan oven and put it on about 100 degrees (F) my question is would this amount of heat reduce the potency? and also what other drying methods do people use (unobtrusive and inexpensive, i.e. i'm not buying an industrial fan and building huge boxes with shelf systems).

Thanx for any help!!!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMycoGlowFlow
between the walls
Male

Loc: michigan
Re: DRYING [Re: HARRY]
    #493849 - 12/17/01 04:44 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

get a lamp with a bulb of the highest voltage you can find in you possession. wrap the shrooms in a black fabric (shirt, blanket whatever) and place the under the lamp until cracker dry. that would be my suggestion.

--------------------
(the key-strokes that have completed everything ever typed on this user name have been a random coincidence, except for the words in this notation)

Offlinehomebrew

Re: DRYING [Re: HARRY]
    #493854 - 12/17/01 04:50 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

A FOAF never could get a plain dessicant chamber working correctly, now she just uses a plain old floor fan (the big square ones about 2 ft by 2 ft) and a colander. Colander on the floor, shrooms in the collander, fan on top of the collander blowing (on hi) at the floor. 24-48 hrs later they are crispy, from there they go into a zip-lock bag, and the zip-lock goes into a larger ziplock that contains some drierite. All that goes into a third large zip-lock. No moisture problems as indicated by color of drierite.

OfflineBrugman
antisobrietarian
Male

Loc: the land up over
Re: DRYING [Re: homebrew]
    #493897 - 12/17/01 05:38 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

what the HELL is a colander?

Offlineredzone
Re: DRYING [Re: Brugman]
    #493907 - 12/17/01 05:46 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

AKA strainer

--------------------
think for yourself, question authority

OfflineFreakShow
3n+hu$|@$+
Re: DRYING [Re: homebrew]
    #493978 - 12/17/01 07:06 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

hmm that sounds like a good idea..maybe i'll try that one myself... what's the bag full of drierite for?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Dessicant

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation