Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTrail_Blazer
enthusiast

Lets make Oxygen
    #486405 - 12/10/01 07:15 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Hehe, just curious if there are any ways of generating/creating Oxygen (besides using plants). I'm asking more along the lines of simple chemical reactions between household items that create 02 and maybe h20 as products. I want try an experiment with increased 02 levels in 1 terrarium vs another. Any chemistry buffs out there got a method or two?

Peace

--------------------
[green]There is a fine line between genius and insanity, I have erased this line.[/green]
Visit FSR

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleblahblahblah
Mad Scientist

Loc: South America
Re: Lets make Oxygen [Re: Trail_Blazer]
    #486467 - 12/10/01 07:49 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

I think heating h202 past 130 f produces oxegen and water. But this would heat your terrerium up too much. How about not fanning one as much as the other and seeing what happens.

OfflineTrail_Blazer
enthusiast

Re: Lets make Oxygen [Re: blahblahblah]
    #486511 - 12/10/01 08:22 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

That would be studying the effects of C02 build-up, not increase in oxygen. And we already know what effect c02 build-up has, it hinders growth. Thanks for the try though.

BTW, i don't think enough oxygen would be created in the process from H202 to water and 02 to be economical at all.
Not a flame, just a comment blahblahblah.

Peace

--------------------
[green]There is a fine line between genius and insanity, I have erased this line.[/green]
Visit FSR

Offlinefelixhigh
Scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ly
    #486568 - 12/10/01 08:57 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

ummm...
i have some vague memories of the chemistry classes... but i think by eletrolisis one can take oxygen out of H2O2... wouldnt heat your terrarium in a significant ammount...

OfflineTrail_Blazer
enthusiast

Re: Lets make Oxygen [Re: felixhigh]
    #486578 - 12/10/01 09:03 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Electrolysis sounds promising, and I think you meant h20 (water) not h202 (hydrogen peroxide). Any ideas on how to create a simple electrolysis set up?

Peace

--------------------
Visit FSR

Offlinegusb232

Loc: pm me
    #486583 - 12/10/01 09:07 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

the easy way i know how to make oxygen is electroisis.
just place a negitive and positive charged wires into a tub of water, maybe a allittle salt to speed up reaction.
the electricy should start spliting apart the H2O in to oxygen and hydrogen. both wires should be bubbleing. the negative should be hydrogen and the postive wire's bubbles should be oxygen.
just make sure you get rid of the hydrogen some how cuz oxgen and hydrogen are a bad mix.

OfflineTrail_Blazer
enthusiast

Re: Lets make Oxygen [Re: gusb232]
    #486593 - 12/10/01 09:12 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Make for a mighty explosive shroom fireworks display eh?

Yikes

Peace

--------------------
Visit FSR

Offlinefelixhigh
Scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ly
    #486599 - 12/10/01 09:19 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

yeah, i meant H2O, sorry, bad memory. i have already done the experience of putting the wires on the water... bubbles actually form in it... and there are no sparks nor fireworks... but you should know that O2 is higly flamable...

OfflineTrail_Blazer
enthusiast

#486609 - 12/10/01 09:26 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah and so is hydrogen. But then again, if no heat source is really present (room temp here is already around 80 degrees) than it should be fairly safe. Also, the hydrgen (being a lighter molecule would rise above the oxygen, so i might be able to get away with a small air filter on top to release excess hydrogen. Also c02 would be the heaviest in the terrarium and fall to the bottom so i could be a small release for that also as is seen in many terrariums.

I would most likely raise the casings slighty off the bottom of the terrarium in hopes that more oxygen would be present somewhere round the middle. This is all still very experimental, so any improvements or ideas are still greatly appreciated. I do however like this electrolysis idea, could be a very cheap way to produce 02.

Peace.

--------------------
Visit FSR

Invisiblear393
old timer
Male
Loc: VT
    #488638 - 12/12/01 12:09 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

O2 is not flammable, but combustion cannot occur without it., H2 is very explosive, didn't you guys do any chemistry?

OfflineScourge
The Dr.
Loc: Near flint Michgan, USA
Re: Lets make Oxygen [Re: ar393]
    #488682 - 12/12/01 12:46 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

O2 in it's self IS flamable when it's concentrated. O2 and H2 buildingup in a closed space could be very bad. It'll be ok as long as you dont have anyhting electrical or a flame anywhere near your container. Also i'm not sure about the effects of H2 on the mushies.

--------------------
"Those who walk in Love and Truth shall grow in Honor and Strength."

InvisibleBeetlebum
Stranger
Re: Lets make Oxygen [Re: Scourge]
    #488695 - 12/12/01 01:04 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Fire haz can be easily solved... 1st make shure your wires are fixed well and far appart- A spark could wake you up with a big boom in your closet. Also, make shure the room you are keeping it in is well ventilated... keep a fan blowing the outside of your set up. Hehe just tell your buddies don't smoke around it. I wouldn't keep a light bulb inside it either...

I wounder what kind of power sourse you should use?

Offlinepsilocybian
enthusiast
Re: Lets make Oxygen [Re: Beetlebum]
    #488882 - 12/12/01 04:00 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Ok, I can easily improvise an O2 generator from an H2 generator scheme that was concocted at The Hive for reduction of ephedrine esters with H2 and precipitated nickel and ultrasound, but I'm not going in to all that.

Take some type of bucket with a lid. Drill 4 holes in the lid, two for hoses, and two for the + and - wires.
Get a peice of pvc pipe , and connect it inside the bucket so the bottom of it is a few inches from the bottom of the bucket, and the top is low enough to allow the lid to be placed onto the bucket with no problem.
Get a cap to fit the pipe, and drill some holes into it. In some holes, epoxy stainless steel rods so they would go all the way to the bottom of the pvc pipe in the bucket, but NOT to the bottom of the bucket.
Epoxy a hose into one of the holes, this is your oxygen outlet, now place this onto the pipe in the bucket.
Now wrap the outside with chickenwire or something, connect the stainless steel rods to the positive of your power supply (at least 12volts with as much amperage you can muster), and the chicken wire to the negative. Run these wires through your lid and epoxy them in place.
The oxygen hose from the pvc pipe is ran out through the lide and epoxied in it's hole on the lid, this is your oxygen source.
The bucket is filled up with NaOH (sodium hydroxide drain cleaner) and water solution.
The lid is placed on and a hose is epoxied from the lid to out of a window, this vents out hydrogen, cause we all know how nasty that stuff is.
Here is a pic:

Except the ultrasonic shit and reaction chamber are skipped. Just the polarity changed on the generator part, and the hose that goes to the reaction chamber would go to your terrarium.

OfflineCandyKid
Stranger
    #488901 - 12/12/01 04:17 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

OK..... There seems to be much confusion here regarding oxygen and hydrogen....

1 electrolisys splits up H20 into Hydrogen and oxygen....
2 oxygen in not flammable, but is an oxidizer (hence the name oxygen) In the presence of a flame or a spark, hydrogen egnites, because there is pure oxygen available, hydrogen reacts with oxygen creating water (alot of energy is released, hence the "explosion".
3 If hydrogen were to be allowed to bleed out through a hole in the top of the terrarium, there are plenty of other combustible materials inside the terrarium that would be more than happy to react with oxygen...
4 You could allow the CO2 to bleed out through an opening in the bottom of the tank, which would create a lower pressure in the terrarium, thus drawing fresh air from the top of the terrarium (the hole you make), thus eliminating the need to even have an electrolisys setup!
You could just get an oxygen tank and pump oxygen into the terrarium- but there is still on big problem with oxygen... Things burn well in normal atmosphere- which is what 11-22% oxygen? Imagine how well things burn in 100% oxygen! Let me give you an idea- grease will spontaneously combust in a 100% oxygen environment- this is why they never use grease when lubricating Oxy-acetylene torch parts.

You do have a good idea- I've thought many times about how one can raise the oxygen level in a terrarium... If you want to get an oxygen cylinder and a regulator, you really need to be careful about how much oxygen is in the terrarium because too much would probably oxidise the mycelleum, thus killing it. At that point, there would be nothing left to convert the O2 into CO2, and you;d have a BIG problem, as the terrarium would slowly fill up with pure oxygen.

If you do decide to use the electrolisys, I'd love to hear your results... perhaps put a fan in there to mix the air around so the %age of oxygen is equal everywhere in the terrarium... Maybe put a cup upside down partially submerged over the electode with the hydrogen coming off of it, and have a tube through the top of the cup leading out of the terrarium. Hmmm... at that point, as long as you are creating enough oxygen, then running a fan to stir the air around would be enough, since any extra pressure built up in the terrarium would simply escape through cracks and imperfections in the terrarium's seal.... Oh, and your humidity would be really high too!, since the water would be warmed up by electrolisys....

don't blow yourself up!

Personally I wouldn't want to create or release pure oxygen anywhere unattended- too great a fire hazard....

Hope this helps...

P.S. I am a pyrotechnist, I know much about burning stuff... :-P

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Lets make Oxygen [Re: CandyKid]
    #488957 - 12/12/01 05:02 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

This whole thread misses the point.
It?s not the oxygene level you want to keep high, but the CO2 level you want to keep low.
So forget all these fancy oxygen creating devices, you don?t need them.
All you need is a source of humidified air to replace the CO2 containing terrarium air periodicaly(or on an steady flow base).

OfflineTrail_Blazer
enthusiast

Re: Lets make Oxygen [Re: Anno]
    #489289 - 12/12/01 09:59 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Arite Anno I hear ya. But i did find a plan on the web for a very simple and cheap electrolysis set up which I could rig to send o2 directly into the terrarium and h2 vent outside.

Basically it just involves knowing the principle that each of the gases is created at either the anode and cathode. Seperate the anode and cathode into different tube exausts and have a water electrolyte happy in betteween both and ya got yaself simple electrolysis with speration of the gases.

If i have pure 02 flowing slowly into a large errarium I would doubt it would ever reach anywhere near 100%. I would probably need some sort of circulation within the terrarium however, to that i agree.

Anno, by having the 02 fill in the terrarium it may not help based on that increase but it would help displace the c02.
So a terrarium might only have a small amount of c02 rather then the control terrarium where it would just correlate with the atmosphere percentage. So in essence, it would still agree with what you say, decreasing c02 levels.

Anyhows I dun plan on doing this anytime soon, i'm going to try my human shit idea (See : Human Shit Tek Thread) over winter break.

Peace

--------------------
Visit FSR

Offlinencshroomer
journeyman
Loc: Wilmington NC
    #516444 - 01/10/02 02:16 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

As Anno said, your trying to keep the CO2 low... so could you just add a potted plant or two into the terrarium? The plant would use up the CO2 and add the O2 and not have the whole blowing up and adding heat problems. Anyone ever tried, i think i might and see what happens.

--------------------
What the fuck, lets give it a try!

OfflineHumidity
Mad Scientist
Loc: Somewhere in Northeast OH
Re: Lets make Oxygen [Re: ncshroomer]
    #516503 - 01/10/02 03:34 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Anno the reason that you want to keep CO2 low is because high CO2 means lower O2. CO2 is not going to harm anything, but the lack of O2 will (suffication).

Getting rid of the CO2 is NOT the main issue. Replacing the O2 is.
Regardless using pure oxygen is impratical, and my even kill your fungi and if your lucky thats all it will kill.

--------------------
_____________________________________________________________________________________
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking

Edited by Humidity (01/10/02 05:09 PM)

InvisibleDrD525
what'shappening?!
Re: Lets make Oxygen [Re: Humidity]
    #516815 - 01/10/02 09:07 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

dudes, dudes! Calm down, theres no need for huge apparatii (or however you spell it). The most simple way to make O2 and H20 W/O use of electricty or any shit like that is... Mangenese Dioxide and H2O2. You can get mangenese dioxide at a ceramics place (used to make glazes) for fuckin' cheap as shit, or you can get if from cutting open an old battery. the black stuff inside is graphite and mangenese dioxide. anyway, the mangenese dioxide acts as a catylist, it breaks the extra oxygen atom off of the H2O2 to make a thick white cloud of O2 and a bunch of H2O. And plus, it doesn't generate too much heat (warm to the touch), and all you have to do to make more is to empty the H2O from the jar, leave the MnO2 in the bottom, and add some more H2O2. PRESTO!

Offlinejimmycaps
Stranger
    #27903002 - 08/14/22 10:29 AM (1 year, 7 months ago)

Oxygen alone is NOT FLAMABE - COMBUSTABLE or FLAMABLE IN ANY CONCENTRATION PERIOD. OXYGEN IS AN OXIDIZING AGENT. What that means is that it ACCELERATES THINGS LIKE RUST AND BURNING WHICH AR BOTH FORMS OF OXIDATION. If you put Oxygen to Oil it will rapidly oxidize generating heat and ultimately combustion. Please if anyone says anything other than what I just stated, DON'T Believe them - Don't even believe my Statements - Look in up through the NFPA. Look at any truck Hauling Oxygen and look at the Placards....You will see a Ball of Fire Symbol (Looks Like The Sun) It means Oxidizer. Gasoline trucks have a Flammable Placard, Oil Trucks have Combustible Placards and the same for Propane. Now it it's hauling Benzoyl Peroxide - Acetone Peroxide - Chlorine Oxides or Fluorine Perchlorate for example it will have an Explosive Gases Placard. Unbelievable the mis information on here.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag