Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinepsilocyberV
old hand

The Problem of Heat
    #486188 - 12/10/01 03:56 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Post deleted by administrator.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGreasyWilly

Re: The Problem of Heat [Re: psilocyber]
    #486196 - 12/10/01 04:06 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks for that info. It's definitely something my friends have struggled with. One friend had some serious problems with this at first. She put her box of jars directly on a heating pad at medium heat. Needless to say she absolutely roasted them and lost some hard work.
Now she keeps them on a 10" platform (so it's not directly on the floor) right next to the heater. She's had no problems since then.
As for the fruiting chambers she will put the heating pad on low and leave it on for an hour or so, then turn it off. Repeating a few X/day.
Would be interested to hear about other heating-pad stories.

--------------------
Why sweat something petty when you can pet something sweaty?  :cool:

Offlineredzone
Re: The Problem of Heat [Re: GreasyWilly]
    #486269 - 12/10/01 05:24 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

i use a heating pad directly underneath my terranium, no problems yet, i leave it on medium 24/7, doesnt get too hot

--------------------
think for yourself, question authority

OfflineShroomNewb
enthusiast
Re: The Problem of Heat [Re: redzone]
    #486286 - 12/10/01 05:35 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Do you notice that on the low levels of the heating pad, it mostly just heats up the middle of the pad?

Offlinesinsay
Stranger
    #486300 - 12/10/01 05:49 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

a friend of a friend uses an 10X24X14in cooler with a 150-200watt aquarium heater inside a plastic or glass jar filled with water. heater is turned to highest setting...92 degrees, and the temp inside the cooler will only get to 79-81 degrees. what is the problem here? does anyone know how to control the temp and or maintain the temp at 84 degrees? i know its only a few degrees but,.....i know this does make a difference.
anyone else use this method and have any ideas or tips?
maybe a smaller cooler?............ help.........

OfflineTeRzMaStA
Psilocybin Pimp

#486314 - 12/10/01 06:01 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

I'm glad you brought this up. My friend is having problems with this now. How would you go about heating a large tank about 55 gallons? its at 68 right now and he really wants to get it to 75. This will probably give you a better idea of what I'm talking about. Here are a couple of pictures of my friends setup: http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Forum2&Number=477911&page=&view=&sb=&o=&fpart=all&vc=1

--------------------
Think for yourself; Question Authority

Offlinebassplayer74
old hand

Loc: Tennessee
    #486318 - 12/10/01 06:06 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Hi all,

The best way I have found to keep my jars warm is to keep them in the box but place the box(es) inside a big rubbermaid tub with a 60 or 75 watt bulb inside with it. This keeps temps in the low 80's all the time. For reference my room temp is 65-70F. And I use one of those lamps with the metal rim and big clamp on it. Just remember not to keep the bulb in a place where it will make the sides of the tub too hot. I also use a piece of cardboard as a shield against my boxes of jars so they dont get all the heat in one place. Take care...

--------------------
If you will it, it is no dream.

Anonymous

#486384 - 12/10/01 07:02 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

VERY informative post for lots of people. I definetly like seeing posts of this sort coming from anybody, and even more so coming from the VENDORS.
Call me lucky, but I live in the deep south, and TEMPERATURES are always good here. INSIDE it is always 75-85 degrees F, except on about 6 days a year. On those six days or so, my indoor temps do drop to about 65 F.

OfflineXxMuSHRooMHeaDxX
enthusiast

#486419 - 12/10/01 07:25 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Gobble the shroom goblin , thx you for making this thread , hes using a waterbed heater (controled w/built in thermostat) and has added his heating pad from the incu chamber , and wrapped in massive insulation . Hes working outdoors though and having to fight this cold coming weather , if this newly applied heating pad dont raise temps , hes considering adding a aquarium heater/jar of water. Anybody gat any pics of this ??? ive read these will evap verry quickly , is there a way to stop the evaporation from the jar the haeter is placed in ??? does the heater go allthe way in the jar ??? what kinda heater should be used (from pet store) ??? Thx for any help , peace.

--------------------
"Put the past at rest , Live your life to please"
Mushroomheads Official Site
Free Spore Ring
Myco-Elite
All above are lie's.

Offlineredzone
Re: The Problem of Heat [Re: XxMuSHRooMHeaDxX]
    #486434 - 12/10/01 07:32 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

nope, on the low levels, my heating pad works just like on high levels, it is brand new from kmart. about a couple monthes old now.

--------------------
think for yourself, question authority

Anonymous

#486713 - 12/10/01 11:07 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Here's a helpful chart to add to the topic. This is just a copy of an adapted version from Ames et al., 1958 ( found in The Mushroom Cultivator - by Stamets)

It offers a good representation of how the temperature directly affects the growth rate of the mycelium during the vegetative cycle of the fungus.

Also, here is a link to a very simple tek on creating an inexpensive incubation chamber that utilizes radiant heat:

Incubation Chamber TEK

I think that this will also be helpful to some... enjoy!

-Mycotek

OfflineMklangelo
enthusiast
Loc: Continental United States
    #488683 - 12/12/01 12:46 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

As far as an incubator is concerned, my friend takes the box his dozen jars came in and paints it black. He then puts it on the top shelf of his closet and sets two lamps with 75W bulbs with a piece of foil covered cardboard behind the lamps, reflecting on the box. The box stays a nice comfy 83 deg F inside. As for the chamber, a fish tank heater is his next move when it's time.

--------------------
[red] Life:[/red][blue] Live it foward, understand it backward...[/blue]

OfflineFURR
Re: The Problem of Heat [Re: Mklangelo]
    #488708 - 12/12/01 01:13 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

I used to have a fish tank heater inside a long thin bottle with water in it, all the way in. It had no temp control, but some kind of termostat, cause i could see light on and off inside the heater. However, i don't use it anymore, cause the terrarium inside temp never raised more than 3 or 4 degrees. Any advice on it?

OfflineMklangelo
enthusiast
Re: The Problem of Heat [Re: FURR]
    #488720 - 12/12/01 01:22 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

this is my first trip with the fish tank heater. Sounds like it was too small for your chamber.

--------------------

Anonymous

#489043 - 12/12/01 06:22 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Yes, I know what your problem is...

The aquarium heaters are set to a default setting that will only allow the element to heat up to 75-6'F. In order to make one work, you have to read the instructions that came with the heater. It explains how you must lift the dial setting knob off of the unit and rotate the exposed rod or shaft thing around and then replace the plastic knob back on to the dial. This will allow you to raise the temp to the desired setting, although it may take a few adjustements to get it set at the ideal temp range.

That should do the trick for you! Radiant heat is far superior to using a dry form of heat for this app and it's hard to beat this method.

-Mycotek

Anonymous

#489106 - 12/12/01 07:21 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

One of my elves has a small spare room with it's own electric heater, dedicated to the project. It works great but the electric heat sucks up the humidity. Thats another thread alltogether.....

InvisibleLana
Head Banana
Female

Loc: www.MycoSupply.com
Re: The Problem of Heat [Re: ]
    #489165 - 12/12/01 08:07 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

First off, good post:)

Secondly I want to embelish a little more on electric/ceramic heaters.

Both psilocyber and CaptainMaxMushroom mentioned the use of an electric or ceramic heater. Please know that these kinds of heaters create a dry heat. Heating areas using almost anything electric (heating pad, light bulb, etc) will make the air around the heater dry. Thats if the heater itself doesn't already force out dry air.

On many posts, you might hear some folks say that dry heat is bad. Yes, it can be in some cases. But in others it can be very useful and efficient.

If you're using perlite (or any water based humidification technique) a dry heat can be a little helpful. How? Well, the dry heat will cause a slight draft in the area that its in. Not a huge one, but one strong enough to dry the perlite that is in your terrainium. This "drying of the terrainium" will cause the perlite to work more effectively. In some cases, depending on the direction that the heat is coming from, it can be very helpful!

For incubating, be careful. The water content that your jars have is ALL the water that your substrate has access to. A dry heat can dry up any substrate. AFOAF had quite a few jars of rye grain dry up on her when she left her electric heater on for too long.

I've been doing tons, and I mean TONS of homework on water evaporation and different forms of humidity cycles. And what I've learned so far is that sometimes a dry heat can be very beneficial in areas that need to have a high, humid temperature. A dry heat can also help with some forms (not all) but some forms of airborne contaminates. Ever wonder why people on this board recommend "cool mist humidifiers"?

Warm mist humidifiers are meant for short term use. 2-4 days. They aren't meant to be used constantly. Warm mists easily promote bacterial and fungal growth and in the confined areas that most people grow in, the gas exchange just isn't sufficent enough to overcome any little nasty that contributes to a breeding of a contaminate.

So don't be afraid to heat your fruits! Just be catious and you should be just fine:)

Those are just my 2 cents:)

Lana

--------------------
Myco Supply - Distributors of Mycological Products
http://www.MycoSupply.com

The Premiere Source for Mushroom Growing Supplies.
Visit us online or call us toll free

InvisibleLana
Head Banana
Female

Loc: www.MycoSupply.com
Re: The Problem of Heat [Re: Lana]
    #489173 - 12/12/01 08:14 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

After re-reading my post, I want to also clearify that if you're new to growing, don't use a dry heat:) Use a fish tank heater submerged in a quart sized jar then place it in your terrainum.

Dry heat is tricky, it can work well, but if you're not quite sure on what your heater(s) are capable of doing, then you might easily harm your substrate/fruits.

Lana

--------------------
Myco Supply - Distributors of Mycological Products
http://www.MycoSupply.com

The Premiere Source for Mushroom Growing Supplies.
Visit us online or call us toll free

OfflineMklangelo
enthusiast
Re: The Problem of Heat [Re: Anonymous]
    #489177 - 12/12/01 08:16 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks Myco,
My problem was that prior to buying the aquarium heater, the woman at the store told me on the phone that if you turn em' up much past 76deg they burn out. I bought one anyway and the directions said nothing about what you were talking about. It went up high enough to melt the #1 plastic bottle I had it in though! It did get that chamber slowly to 75 + deg F. I have a 100W, 8 Inch heater that will take probably 3 hours to get up to temp once I turn it down to a temp that won't burn up the heater too soon... It only cost me 10.00 US

--------------------

OfflineFreakShow
3n+hu$|@$+
Re: The Problem of Heat [Re: ]
    #489220 - 12/12/01 08:55 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

hehe, sounds similar to an elve i once knew with a small room. =) actually, the elve just makes sure to leave all the computer / stereo equipment on, and the door shut, and the room stays a toasty 75 all day long. Actually, with my normal house heat turned to 70 deg, the room can get about 78-80. Guess the electronics are adding +5 to +10 deg. =)
...does that count as dry heat then?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder