Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineupupup
guardian

Loc: George "I love Hitler" Bu...
Goo in birdseed.
    #473893 - 11/29/01 05:36 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

While this is probably borderline cross posting and perhaps should be in the general cultivation board be it herewith known that I tried all that. Now, I am coming to the pro's for the answer and hoping for a decent answer. I have done the Ryche Hawk substrate tek and made it for quart jars. I am experiencing a whole lot of goo. I know people who just do the straight birdseed tek and get that too. I have lost a strain because of this. Any help as to wtf that goo is, why I am getting it, and how to prevent it will help me imensly. Blessings and productive crops to all.

--------------------
Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

Re: Goo in birdseed. [Re: upupup]
    #473899 - 11/29/01 05:44 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

I believe one should always rinse birdseed before putting in jars; my routine is

1. Fill big mixing bowl with ~8 jars worth of wild birdseed
2. Completely cover with tap water, mix with knife or similar
3. Use scoop-strainer to remove most of the sunflower seeds which float [this results in just about enough for 7 jars, which is what most PC's hold]
4. Use same scoop-strainer to scoop out grain, run tap water over grain in the scoop [secondary rinse]
5. Load rinsed grain in jars, add appropriate liquid.

You'll notice the first rinse gives murky brown water; this is your 'goo'. The surfaces of dry birdseed is where all the bacterial/mold contams are as well, so 1 hr sterilization works better [and won't give burst grains as prolonged cooking might].

Make sure you get the water content right as well, that's the other common birdseed problem; too much gives you a solid brick.

Good Luck

OfflineDarK_SavioR
addict
Loc: Down the Street
    #473904 - 11/29/01 05:49 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

A lot of bird seed is covered with this vitamin crapp for the birds (pennington's has it). You can rinse off your seeds first and it helps get rid of the vitamin stuff, which is where the goo is coming from. As long as you don't put too much water in with your seeds it usually turns out ok though. I usually bring my seeds to a light boil for 45 minutes to allow them to soak up water, then I fill my jars and pressure cook for 45 - 60 minutes. The goo has never effected my growth any, when I do make my seeds a little too wet I mix in a little bit of whole wheat flour with it before filling my jars. You can't use flour if you intend on using quart jars or anything that will require shaking the grain around, the flour holds it togethor most of the time.

--------------------
Vitamin C chase, kill the taste. You can tell its nasty by the look on my face.
Ralphster44 & The FSR!
All thats stated above is for humor and a lie!!

Offlineupupup
guardian

Re: Goo in birdseed. [Re: DarK_SavioR]
    #473939 - 11/29/01 06:32 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks for the responses. You both recomend to first rinse the birdseed before whatever. I have not been doing that. I first just bring the birdseed to boil and then simmer for 45 min. and rinse though nothing extream which may agian be my problem. Then I mix with verm/flax/brf ALL DRY. I add no water. Then I pc at 15psi for 60 minutes. Everything looks great and I innoculate with 6 cc's of spores. Usually in about 3 days it starts to smell sort of like an light amonia/sweet/shit smell. I am trying to dry it out in my oven right now to see if I can save any of this. It's even happening in my .5 pint jars. Still think it's the rinsing?

--------------------

Anonymous

#474112 - 11/29/01 09:01 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Looks like coffee splotches squished up on the glass?
Smells like feet?

Bacteria. Start again

Offlineupupup
guardian

Re: Goo in birdseed. [Re: Anonymous]
    #474137 - 11/29/01 09:33 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Shouldn't 15psi for 60 minutes do the deal on the bacteria?

--------------------

Anonymous

#474157 - 11/29/01 09:58 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

if its already in the jars, you have to start again, dont use so much water next time, soak & rinse your seeds... then add the dry ingredients.....nothing more, no more water.

InvisibleMicronMagick
old hand

Post deleted by users_request [Re: upupup]
    #474186 - 11/29/01 10:29 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Post deleted by administrator.

Offlineupupup
guardian

Re: Goo in birdseed. [Re: MicronMagick]
    #475013 - 11/30/01 03:50 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks to all. The benifits of this tek are obviouse so I don't want to give up. It's just so damn frustrating.
Lovin ya'll

--------------------

Invisibleblahblahblah
Mad Scientist

Loc: South America
    #475048 - 11/30/01 04:26 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

I have tryed all the stuff you have just posted to no avail. I have tryed sterillizing for an hour, didnt work. Have cooked the grain for short and long periods, and have tryed cleaning everything thuroly with bleach. The fucking goo doesnt go away. I think that it is the birdkote that pennigtons puts on there seed. I have heard that it is a bacteria that keeps it from rotting while it is in the warehouse. I am trying a new kind of seed that looks alot cleaner than the pennigtons when steeped or cooked. I wish I could figure out what is up with this stuff. I will let you know how it goes. Later

Offlineupupup
guardian

Re: Goo in birdseed. [Re: blahblahblah]
    #475164 - 11/30/01 06:11 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

So why then does everybody say penningtons? Rych Hawk among others specifically recommends it?

--------------------

Anonymous

#475348 - 11/30/01 09:00 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Penningtons is fine, a bit pricey though, I used to use regular millet, the generic birdseed you buy a the grocery store, it all works. Do it the way that I said.... no extra water, just soak, rinse GOOD, then add the dry ingedients.... no more.
Yes, I am referring to the 'hawk-magic' substrate.

Also, I just realized you said 'quart jars', this is bad.... use it for 1/2 pints only.

For quart jars you will only want 'birdseed' ONLY, but IMO you should wait a while before you go that route.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom