Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Coir, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineYellowSubmarine
Soviet Pig

Loc: U.S.S.R.
Pint Jars Instead?
    #1913375 - 09/13/03 07:22 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Didn't have luck in other forums. I'll try you guys since you seem to be a little more experienced.

Ok, I normally use quart jars, fill them halfway with birdseed, poke three 1/4 inch holes in the tops of the lids, put some tyvek in and incubate them with 1.5 ccs each at 83-5 degrees until they're colonized. My colonization times are pretty fucking slow and I'm an impatient guy. They've always been slow for me, 6 - 7 weeks. 5 if I'm really really lucky.

I wanted to modify how I colonize and I want your input.

I was thinking of downsizing back to the half pint jar. Fill the jar 3/4 of the way up so it can be shook a little. I was going to use birdseed and apply 1cc per jar and do about 12 jars total. I am not going to use the metal lids but just use the metal rings combined with a straight tyvek layer, that way I am getting maximum air exchange. (i believe this is why my jars always seem to go so slow once they hit that 3 week stage of growth)

So once again, that is 1/2 pint jars filled 3/4 with birdseed that will be soaked for 24 hours and PCed for 45 minutes total at 15 psi. No metal tops, just tyvek with 1cc of spore solution.

Do you think by having a smaller surface area the fungi will colonize quicker?

let me know what you all think before I go an waste my time

thanks

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineHigh_On_Magic
Re: Pint Jars Instead? [Re: YellowSubmarine]
    #1913479 - 09/13/03 08:14 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

i think your jars might be to wet and its taking the time to dry out then colonizing, id add some vermeculite. umm, maybe go with one of the cracked corn teks out there, soaking over night then simmering for a half hour or so pull off when slime coating starts. rinse thouroughly and posibly add some vermeculite incase you fuct up the water content. also try using innoc with like culture dont use spores, speed up always.
hope that helps

OfflineYellowSubmarine
Soviet Pig

Re: Pint Jars Instead? [Re: High_On_Magic]
    #1913502 - 09/13/03 08:24 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

that sounds pretty good. I don't think moisture is an issue. I soak the grain for 24 hours then put it into a strainer in the sink, rinse it thouroughly then let it sit their in the strainer for about an hour. To test my moisture content I will pick a handful of grain up and squeeze it until I get drops of water coming out. If I pick up a handful of the stuff and it's already dripping without the squeeze test I let it sit for a while longer. I do believe I lose some of my moisture levels when I PC however. I'm usually neurotic and PC for 90 minutes at 15 psi. I am now going to cut that back to 60.

The main question I have is speed. I figure that becuase I use a good ammount of birdseed per jar it will ovbiously take longer to colonize whereas I thought to myself, what if I just get a bunch of smaller jars with less birdseed per jar, significantly less than my usual half quart worth and do it that way? Less surface area, quicker growth is what I assume. Also the addition of having a completely opened lid with just a layer of Tyvek will allow for maximum air exchange. That's the question.  :grin: I have had much success in the past with my usual route, I'm just tired of waiting so damn long for complete colonization and want to be a little more efficient.

thanks guys!

OfflineFungi_x
Original Shroomer
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Michigan
    #1913547 - 09/13/03 08:42 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

You are shaking your birdseed quart jars rte?

--------------------

HAPPY FUCKING HOLIDAYS!

OfflineYellowSubmarine
Soviet Pig

Re: Pint Jars Instead? [Re: Fungi_x]
    #1914415 - 09/14/03 02:52 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

yeah i am shaking them, once at 5% then 50. I shook them a week ago.

OfflineMykeOfile
stranger thanmost
Loc: behind the bookshelf
    #1917985 - 09/15/03 01:49 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

r u incubating ur jars, what r the temps

--------------------
u know it aint funny when u aint got no money and the clock strikes 420 and u wanna get high
~Kottonmouth Kings

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Pint Jars Instead? [Re: MykeOfile]
    #1918184 - 09/15/03 03:03 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

> My colonization times are pretty fucking slow and I'm an impatient guy.

To help speed things up, keep several sets of jars going, but at different stages of development. Instead of doing 24 jars all at once, do 6 jars at a time, once a week. Granted, you aren't getting to the end any faster, but you have a lot more in process at any one time so your throughput is greater.

Another factor is spore count. Increase the spores per CC in your solution and you will get faster colonization times. Try one of those dark purple syringes and see how much faster they go!

> I am not going to use the metal lids but just use the metal rings combined with a straight tyvek layer, that way I am getting maximum air exchange.

When I tried this, I got a layer of dry grain that never colonized on top. The airexchange was great, but so was the water evaporation. You will probably need to cover the tyvek with some foil or plastic wrap that has holes punched into it for the first week or so.

You might also want to flip your jars upside down when they start to stall. Some gasses are more heavy than air and will stay trapped in the glass jar even with the top wide open. Flip the jar upside down and these heavy gasses will drain out the tyvek bottom.

Something else you might want to try is adding coco coir to your millet. I never really measured it out... just tossed a handful or two of soft coir into the mix before I PC. The coir provides little pathways for the mycelium to follow allowing it to jump quickly from one grain kernel to the next. (Thats my theory anyway... -grin-). The coir does seem to speed up colonization by a few days, though again, I never measured it to be certain.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineYellowSubmarine
Soviet Pig

Re: Pint Jars Instead? [Re: Seuss]
    #1918567 - 09/15/03 05:10 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

sounds good

as far as incubation goes I have it set at 85 degrees. It will sometimes fluctuate however depending on the temp of my home. Sometimes going from 80 degrees to 92 but usually a constant 85.

I am attempting this liquid Myclium technique. I took a teaspoon of natural honey mixed with some water in a pint jar. I PCed that for 20 minutes and injected it with 2 cc of EQ spores. TIme will tell if this method will speed things along. I will try that coco coir technique. Any ideas on where I could score some of that stuff?

thanks guys

Offlineheadtrip
&%$#@!!

#1923430 - 09/16/03 11:57 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

one of my friends has been complaining of the same problem...Just a thought, whats the difference between colonization times between treated and un-treated grains? does this affect growth?

--------------------
---------------------------------------------------------
"its just like that, because thats the way it is"

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #1930309 - 09/18/03 09:37 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

a friend of a friends grandma uses pints and usually runs a six day colonizing time. she measures 1/2 cup of krogers wild finch seed (no birdcote in that one) and 1/3 cup of hot water into each pint, then pc's for 1.25 hours. pre-soaking isnt needed for her. she always gets great results. make sure that your birdseed doesnt contain bird-cote, it is bad stuff.
also, she uses an isolate. she suggests that you pick up agar work if you really want to reduce times.

--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Coir, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology